Sudden insulin resistance?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was down with flu last week and thankfully recovered over the weekend.
But I’m needing almost double the insulin I did even while Ill?

could this be down to lingering illness? Is it usual after flu? Anyone experienced this??

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I know it’s different, I’m currently laid up after an injury, I have given up trying to get bg down, I’m hovering around 12 instead of 6 with the same insulin, even larger correction doses without food are doing very little, it’s incredible how things affect bg.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I was down with flu last week and thankfully recovered over the weekend.
But I’m needing almost double the insulin I did even while Ill?

could this be down to lingering illness? Is it usual after flu? Anyone experienced this??
Yes. It is really normal to become highly resistant when dealing with infections. I don't think it will last so watch out for the swing back to normal as you recover. :You are likely still dealing with the virus even if feeling a bit better so take it easy! Easier said than done of course but I wouldn't o more than gentle walking whilst bgs are still trending high etc.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. It is really normal to become highly resistant when dealing with infections. I don't think it will last so watch out for the swing back to normal as you recover. :You are likely still dealing with the virus even if feeling a bit better so take it easy! Easier said than done of course but I wouldn't o more than gentle walking whilst bgs are still trending high etc.

I thought as much and am being as careful as possible incase my sensitivity comes back with a bang. Went on a little walk with my daughter today after breakfast and I seem to be closer in range but as soon as I’ve come home and pottered about doing some housework I’m going back up again.

TimLibre

Maybe to follow up, with a bit different case.

Last saturday i was with a friend all day in quite close contact (car, dinner), and now it turns out he had covid. During the night after seeing this friend I needed exceptional amounts of insulin and didn’t manage to get my bgs down all night. Even though i had not eaten a lot of carbs for dinner or through the day. I wonder if this could be related to covid virus parts trying to infect me. If so it could be a real quick indicator.
Btw I havent been tested positive yet, (and hopefully won’t) but will have to test on Thursday. Bg has gone normal again, so the exceptional high bg that night could also have been a coincedence.