Insulin and car insurance

paulround

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 6 years ago and have been of various meds, that seem to stop working for me after a while. My diabetic nurse has now put me on insulin . I have informed the DVLA and sent off my license, however, I was under the impression that you need to also inform your car insurance company. I have done this but they just said they don't record customers medical history and conditions.
Is this normal?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 6 years ago and have been of various meds, that seem to stop working for me after a while. My diabetic nurse has now put me on insulin . I have informed the DVLA and sent off my license, however, I was under the impression that you need to also inform your car insurance company. I have done this but they just said they don't record customers medical history and conditions.
Is this normal?

I think they should record 'notifiable medical conditions' (as my insurer has). It should not affect your premium though.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have recently been through a round of renewing my car insurance and was interested how some insurers ask and some do not when you get a quote.
If you have informed the DVLA you are insulin, you are likely to get. different license which needs to be renewed every 3 (or is it 5?) years. You should tell your insurers when you have this license - I guess it covers the fact you are using insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's unusual for a car insurer to not record medical conditions. My policy has my diabetes listed. I would give them another call to check and ask for it to be noted in their records to avoid any dispute following an accident.