Libre scans per day?

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be sparing on my scans, feeling guilty, almost thinking it was like another blood test and oh no not another one.
9 months on now, I just scan more and more, it's so much easiear to flatten the bg levels out.
Maybe 30 scans per day now.
What are others doing?
One of the things we were told when we did our Libre Orientation, before receiving our first sensors, was that one of the 'thresholds' for being Libre eligible was Blood Testing frequently precisely because they wanted people who would use the Sensors frequently.

I scan 30 times a day currently. A lot of those scans are checking my body's initial response to Insulin to help with timing my doses correctly. The Libre 2 alarms have probably reduced the number of scans I've taken, as I would just routinely check every 45ish minutes (with a longer gap after eating).

Reactions: hels and Ledzeptt

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just spotted something about OOP asking for calibration. Confusingly, OOP is different to OOP2. If you are getting OOP (not OOP2) calibration requests, you can uninstall the OOP app ... but keep OOP2.

If that sounds confusing, that's because it is. But I hope it makes sense to you, Hopeful34.
Thanks. The request has disappeared again, but next time it comes up I'll check.

Reactions: In Response

Carl40

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to be sparing on my scans, feeling guilty, almost thinking it was like another blood test and oh no not another one.
9 months on now, I just scan more and more, it's so much easiear to flatten the bg levels out.
What are others doing?

I find that I'll check it regularly throughout the day - its cut down on my bolus insulin as I can see if I'm nearing a peak or trough so helps me work out if I actually need it or not.

Considering my A1C in January when I was diagnosed was 128, most recent (August) blood test was 44 and Libre reports 40 at present, I think it is helping massively.

Have noticed when I get below 4 (quite rate but happens) it seems to stop going any further although I have had 2.9 on one or two occasions and you know you have to eat then!

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are others doing?

First few months I was at around 80 scans per day :bored:

Now I do 20-30 scans or less...

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
@Zinadane

Hi, I think I used to scan about 30 times a day (I think I worked out that as this was mainly during the day, it was every 20 minutes!).

As per others, I’ve been using DiaBox for a year (with a Bubble linked to original Libre 1 sensor) so rarely scan other than to start the sensor and before driving (once/twice a week - unsure if DVLA/Police would accept DiaBox in place of the LibreLink reading).

I rely on high/low alarms, check when bolusing/exercise/bedtime and rarely glance at my phone otherwise. (DiaBox app gets a fresh reading every 5 mins, so it’s doing the scanning for me.)

Therefore, I wouldn’t worry about the number of scans, particularly if that’s helping you get better control.

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
I use DiaBox. At the moment the iPhone version got shut down by Abbott/Apple, so no use looking into this unless you use Android.
I have a phone running on Android, so it works for me, although not perfectly and not without hiccups.
If you use Facebook, here's a group by the makers of the app: https://www.facebook.com/groups/974278412920319/

Can't compare with xDrip as I haven't used it with the Libre2.

@Antje77

I’m running DiaBox on an iPhone SE 2020 (not jail broken) - hadn’t heard about a problem with Abbott. The app gets regular updates from the developers too.

Screen shot below:
upload_2021-9-30_14-23-29.png

Lakeslover

@Antje77

I’m running DiaBox on an iPhone SE 2020 (not jail broken) - hadn’t heard about a problem with Abbott. The app gets regular updates from the developers too.

Screen shot below:
View attachment 51368
Abbot and apple have just insisted that diabox is removed from TestFlight. You should be ok until the current one on your phone reaches 90 days according to the makers, but mine died recently after about 45 days. I have downloaded xdrip4ios which is working well and sends regular updates to my phone and Apple Watch. https://xdrip4ios.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
What are others doing?

Yes, I scan a lot too as it helps to control levels more easily I find. However, my diabetic nurse did tell me off for doing too many scans. She seemed very concerned. I explained that this was mostly due to anxiety levels, but she seemed rather troubled. Well, what can a girl say? Anyway, I find its the way I choose to do things, and that's that. If you don't scan enough, the NHS will take it away from you as well, apparently!

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I scan a lot too as it helps to control levels more easily I find. However, my diabetic nurse did tell me off for doing too many scans. She seemed very concerned. I explained that this was mostly due to anxiety levels, but she seemed rather troubled. Well, what can a girl say? Anyway, I find its the way I choose to do things, and that's that. If you don't scan enough, the NHS will take it away from you as well, apparently!

I do understand but I would just say be a little bit careful telling them you scan a lot due to 'anxiety levels', that is a warning sign to them that you actually may not be a suitable candidate for it. If you are getting it on the NHS (like me), it's a pain but you have to 'cooperate' to a large extent and that includes being a good girl! On a course they were discussing Libres/CGMs/pumps etc, and deciding who to give them to took into account the mental health of the individual, with an example being given that someone who becomes 'obsessed' (in their words) may be better off using finger pricks.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I do understand but I would just say be a little bit careful telling them you scan a lot due to 'anxiety levels', that is a warning sign to them that you actually may not be a suitable candidate for it. If you are getting it on the NHS (like me), it's a pain but you have to 'cooperate' to a large extent and that includes being a good girl! On a course they were discussing Libres/CGMs/pumps etc, and deciding who to give them to took into account the mental health of the individual, with an example being given that someone who becomes 'obsessed' (in their words) may be better off using finger pricks.

Yes, you can't win can you? In fact I was only finger pricking once a day because it hurt so much, and on the basis of anxiety levels was awarded the Libre 1 quite early on. So, if they take it away from me now on the basis of that same anxiety, it would be rather absurd wouldn't it?!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Abbot and apple have just insisted that diabox is removed from TestFlight. You should be ok until the current one on your phone reaches 90 days according to the makers, but mine died recently after about 45 days. I have downloaded xdrip4ios which is working well and sends regular updates to my phone and Apple Watch. https://xdrip4ios.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

@Lakeslover Thanks for the warning: that’s more than a nuisance!

I appreciate your suggestion to use xdripios - I wonder if it’s a matter of time before Abbott shut that down? ☹️

Lakeslover

@Lakeslover Thanks for the warning: that’s more than a nuisance!

I appreciate your suggestion to use xdripios - I wonder if it’s a matter of time before Abbott shut that down? ☹️

ive just read on the diabox Facebook group that it it because diabox enables someone to restart a libre 1 at the end of 14 days and continue using the old sensor. I think they are going to remove that functionality and relaunch under a different name but it will take a couple of months.

Lakeslover

I’ve just realised I didn’t answer the original question. I still scan the libre into libre link about four times a day so that all the data is on libreview, but I use xdrip to display readings in real time on my watch and check it regularly……several times on hour especially if it’s changing fast.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you can't win can you? In fact I was only finger pricking once a day because it hurt so much, and on the basis of anxiety levels was awarded the Libre 1 quite early on. So, if they take it away from me now on the basis of that same anxiety, it would be rather absurd wouldn't it?!
I do find this kinda strange. Like, I've never once been asked how many times I scan during a clinic appointment. How many is too many? And how did they determine that number?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you upload your data, i think the hospital team can see how many times you've scanned, because there is a little dot on the graph.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77

Screen shot below:
View attachment 51368

Hi,

With the Android version (Not sure about Apple variant.) Diabox reads the Libre 2 algorithm & will alarm. (The libre2 is no difference in price i found when I self funded.)
Oddly with my current old Android phone even if the signal gets lost it will pick up if there is an alarm triggered.
I've done away with the Bluetooth bridge. (Did have a Miaomiao.)

Actually, I tell a lie. I now use the Bubble mini. But only when I wear my dedicated reader smart watch.? It acts as as a bridge for a stripped down version of Xdrip on the Watlaa one. So "scanning" (or checking.) there is just a flick of the wrist then tap the screen.

WhoKnows?

Yeah, the Libre 2 has a Bluetooth fuction making it a standalone CGM with the reader or your device.
Every 5 minutes an update. & alarms if things go w
Like In Response I use xdrip and glance at my phone many many times a day, especially if levels aren't where I want them to be.
I scan with the reader about 20 odd times a day as well, as Libre is NHS funded, so need to prove I'm using it enough times a day. Bit of a pain, but worth it to get it on NH

David_E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Am type 2 for17 years. Have libre 2 sensors was admitted to hospital last year. The diabetic nurse came to see me in A & E changed my novarapid to fiasp and a novapen6. Scan every hour found am maintaining my A1C at 53 or 7 in old money. The fiasp is very quick acting and I do not spike as much. The nova pen is also read by LibreLink app. I manually enter my lantus each evening.

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That's ridiculous. If you want to do lots of scans, you should.

I do about 70 scans a day and I think that's fine. I do fewer when it's going well and I do more when it's going badly.

At the moment, I'm in a process of readjusting my requirements after being ill so I'm going low all the time. For that reason, I'm doing loads of scans throughout the day.