Sensor Fall Off

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Sensor fell off yesterday for no reason that I can identify. It stayed on for one week and two days. This is the third time it has happened. I have to say, it is SO nice not to have something attached to my arm, and for a day or two, I don't mind finger pricking.
On a low carb diet, I can pretty much predict my BG levels will be reasonable, so I don't worry too much about what is going on with it---- just for such a short time until I resume with a new sensor. It feels strangely wonderful to feel almost...normal!

:)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using Libre for a few years now and never known a sensor to fall off for no reason.
For me, there is always a reason. Typically, it is due to my placement. I sometimes forget that sensors do not bend. If I place a sensor on then”corner of a muscle” it can start to peel away when I flex my arm making it easy to catch with my finger nail when I sleep.
Usually, the sensor comes away from the backing when this happens.
Other times have been after a very long soak in the Bath when water has got under the glue.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I have been using Libre for a few years now and never known a sensor to fall off for no reason.
For me, there is always a reason. Typically, it is due to my placement. I sometimes forget that sensors do not bend. If I place a sensor on then”corner of a muscle” it can start to peel away when I flex my arm making it easy to catch with my finger nail when I sleep.
Usually, the sensor comes away from the backing when this happens.
Other times have been after a very long soak in the Bath when water has got under the glue.

Thanks for this In Response. I was not aware that I was plugging in the sensor by a muscle, but maybe that is the explanation. I only ever have showers, but even so the water does loosen the circular plaster I also usually wear on top of the sensor...and generally seems to help keep it in place, but even with this, it has fallen off. Not often though.

Reactions: In Response

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this In Response. I was not aware that I was plugging in the sensor by a muscle, but maybe that is the explanation. I only ever have showers, but even so the water does loosen the circular plaster I also usually wear on top of the sensor...and generally seems to help keep it in place, but even with this, it has fallen off. Not often though.
I have never had a sensor fall off like that although I have had a few faulty ones (which Abbots have been happy to replace). They stay on like limpets until the last day. May I suggest you place it more towards your inner arm rather than outer and also give the area a good wipe beforehand with an alcohol swab to get rid of any dirt or oil.

Reactions: LionChild

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
an alcohol swab to get rid of any dirt or oil.
I single use alcohol wipe is unnecessary.
Washing with soap and water that does not contain moisturiser is satisfactory.
There are already too many, non biodegradable single use wipes and their wrappers in landfill.
If you need alcohol, you can buy bottles of surgical spirit.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I have never had a sensor fall off like that although I have had a few faulty ones (which Abbots have been happy to replace). They stay on like limpets until the last day. May I suggest you place it more towards your inner arm rather than outer and also give the area a good wipe beforehand with an alcohol swab to get rid of any dirt or oil.

Yes, I always use the alcohol swab when taking off and putting new one on alternate arm. Thanks for the suggestion about moving the sensor more towards inner arm.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not wear a sensor, but I do use a medication patch on my upper arms. I use alcohol swabs every three days to clean the area where I am going to put a new one on.

The adhesive on the patches is pretty good as it has not caused me any irritation yet, no residue left behind either.

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I single use alcohol wipe is unnecessary.
Washing with soap and water that does not contain moisturiser is satisfactory.
There are already too many, non biodegradable single use wipes and their wrappers in landfill.
If you need alcohol, you can buy bottles of surgical spirit.
Good point but most of us are slaves to the sheer convenience these things provide. Even if we are keen on recycling and environmentally friendly products how many of us would really want to give up single use needles and plastic syringes and go back to boiling steel needles and glass syringes?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good point but most of us are slaves to the sheer convenience these things provide. Even if we are keen on recycling and environmentally friendly products how many of us would really want to give up single use needles and plastic syringes and go back to boiling steel needles and glass syringes?
There’s a difference between reusing needles and using something that is completely unnecessary like single wrapped alcohol wipes.