Two Fingers

gooner10

Good Afternoon folks. This has probably been posted before but 2 hours after lunch today I tested, one finger was 8.0 the other finger was 6.6 !!
What would cause this ? and which one should I believe ? Accu Check Mobile is the meter I use so can't really test different strips !

TIA .

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Afternoon folks. This has probably been posted before but 2 hours after lunch today I tested, one finger was 8.0 the other finger was 6.6 !!
What would cause this ? and which one should I believe ? Accu Check Mobile is the meter I use so can't really test different strips !

TIA .
I'm guessing most will say 6.6 but is it a lunch you eat regularly enough to have a good idea which is more likely?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That happens when using the same finger! When I first started finger pricking, I ended up with 4 glucometers, one from an initial GPs visit, then another a day later from a hospital admission, then one sent for 'free' from a diabetes site and I'd already bought one when my symptoms first started. Much experimenting showed that there were differences (of up to 2mmol) between all four when used simultaneously, between fingers when using the same one, on the same finger when using the same one or all 4, and on and on. I am sure that it's because our bodies are very complex and each drop of blood is coming to the surface via a different route but also because the glucometers et al, have not yet been designed to be accurate to more than around a 1.5 mmol difference I believe. In the end I chose one to use (the cheap one I get on prescription) and stuck with that. Now I have the libre mind I get the libre strips to go with it, they all seem similar though.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes same lunch that's giving me 6s .

It seems daft I know, but each meter is deemed as accurate if it gives a reading within around 1.8mmol of its factory testing reading. That remains the same for each individual test so whether you do a one off test or ten in quick succession, if they all fall within that 1.8 buffer there's not a lot you can do.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

TIA .

Hi,

I use the Accu-Chek mobile. Try a third test? (If you feel one maybe a bit rogue..?)
My experience, trying up against a calibrated NHS standard nurse's issue is it reads on average 15% higher?
Logging the BG tests on my app, the A1c estimate also reflects this too? (Aprox.)
I also use a sensor. (This does reflect BG by reading interstitial fluid under the skin.) So within 0.6Mmol counting the "lag" I'm reasonably assured.. (Providing I know I'm not possibly dehydrated.)

Having said that, different extremities of the body may also have slightly differing BG levels too?

Lol, I've seen some interesting talks on BG & blood flow in my time. :watching:

Confusing, I know. I just go with "rule of thumb.." :)

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just experienced this myself! 8.3 on the same breakfast that I normally post 7's on with one finger, 7.4 on another finger...
@lucylocket61, please would you advise why this happens on the same hand? ta for your help.