glicazide

Weehotty

Have you had a look at dietdoctor.com? If I eat carbs I am always hungry.

The keytone thing is odd. High keytones along with high blood glucose is indicative of DKA more often associated with T1 and rare in T2.

When I was first dx I went keto, under 20g carb per day. It took 4 weeks, I cracked carb addiction, stopped being hungry all the time. I had loads of energy.
i know its odd , hence the cpeptide tests … ive had two hospitalisations of ketones … both when not well and have actually been eating . soup was my go to , ive got my admission notes funnily enough . one nurse commented that she had to give me a sandwich along with the drip … if i can get a snippet of it Ill upload it lol x

Weehotty

here you go … it was 4+ ketones ,i suppose were all different eh !

Attachments

• B5EBC3BC-2107-4499-9A66-9E72F8E7FD56.jpeg
    B5EBC3BC-2107-4499-9A66-9E72F8E7FD56.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 118

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not got an infection x still awaiting my cpeptide and antibody results from blue horizon ..

porridge for breakfast

banana for snack

ham sandwich for lunch

yogurt for snack

gammon steak with veg and 5 chips ( lol i wish i hadnt counted then now)

Wholegrain cracker and soft cheese for supper ..

If I dont eat enough carbs I get ketones so I need to balance that line finely
Ah, so there's the problem! And there's an easy fix!

I have ketones. I am in nutritional ketosis because I eat next to no carbohydrates. That is NOT the same as being at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis...! That usually happens to T1's who have sugars that are very high, but no insulin to fix it, so then the body starts eating itself, which releases ketones... And does a whole lot of (organ) damage in the meantime, often resulting in a coma or worse... That isn't really a T2 thing unless there's a perfect storm of medication and/or infection and whatnot. But if you're healthy otherwise, nutritional ketosis is perfectly safe, because when you are in ketosis, your blood sugars will be low too. It's when they're both high (Upper 20's en lower 30's or up even...) that problems occur, and that shouldn't happen if you're not a T1. I'm probably not explaining all this very well, but... Nutritional ketosis is safe. Ketones are something to strive for. Right now you're taking in a LOT of carbohydrates (Oh man, banana's), so I'm not surprised the glic doesn't seem to be doing much... You're making your pancreas work it's butt off, between what you're eating and what the glic is wringing from it.

I'm a bit all over the place, but do yourself a favour, read up about the keto diet. Dr. Eric Berg, and Dr. Jason Fung have video's online too that'll explain things.
Eric does a better job than I am, that's for sure.

Breathe easy. You can get better blood sugars!!! :)

Reactions: IrishAyes

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i know its odd , hence the cpeptide tests … ive had two hospitalisations of ketones … both when not well and have actually been eating . soup was my go to , ive got my admission notes funnily enough . one nurse commented that she had to give me a sandwich along with the drip … if i can get a snippet of it Ill upload it lol x
You weren't well. And what medication were you on? Because like i said, infection/illness and certain meds can create a perfect storm for ketoacidosis, ven in T2's... If there's no infection now, and hopefully fewer meds, you should be safe to go low carb. (Check the leaflets of the meds you're taking. DKA should be listed as a side effect if it is an issue)

Reactions: Weehotty

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Google didn't help. I agree with jokalsbeek above. If you do decide to give low carb a go, be careful with the glicazide. I would request to come off it for a trial period. They put me on it and told me to eat a sandwich with it. That lasted a week.

Porridge is good for non diabetics as a rule. Some diabetics can tolerate it, others can't. It would be so much easier if we were all the same.

Do you need to lose any weight?

Weehotty

Google didn't help. I agree with jokalsbeek above. If you do decide to give low carb a go, be careful with the glicazide. I would request to come off it for a trial period. They put me on it and told me to eat a sandwich with it. That lasted a week.

Porridge is good for non diabetics as a rule. Some diabetics can tolerate it, others can't. It would be so much easier if we were all the same.

Do you need to lose any weight?
a wee bit . ive already lost a stone and a half

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of us who are overweight want to get into nutritional ketosis because it forces the body to get rid of the stored fat around the organs. Once target weight is achieved, up the protein and fats to maintain it.

I have been keto since 2017 apart from a couple of episodes when I fell off the wagon, I don't plan on changing any time soon.

You may want to wait until your test results come back but I would definitely reduce my carbs as soon as possible. I assume you have researched LADA.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read of many members on here being handed questionable advice but yours borders on medical negligence.
No point advising someone to eat 130gs of carb if there body isn't ready for it.
One size all approach doesn't work for T2.

Weehotty

Most of us who are overweight want to get into nutritional ketosis because it forces the body to get rid of the stored fat around the organs. Once target weight is achieved, up the protein and fats to maintain it.

I have been keto since 2017 apart from a couple of episodes when I fell off the wagon, I don't plan on changing any time soon.

You may want to wait until your test results come back but I would definitely reduce my carbs as soon as possible. I assume you have researched LADA.
yes . waiting on my cpeptide and antibody results

Weehotty

I've read of many members on here being handed questionable advice but yours borders on medical negligence.
No point advising someone to eat 130gs of carb if there body isn't ready for it.
One size all approach doesn't work for T2.
I agree one size doesnt fit, I did reduce my carb intake as instructed by the nurse and dietician.. but i had a look at low carbs online to help the sugars and this is what I found , so I had been going by what i had read

Attachments

• 88A2B47A-3135-4C5B-B3C4-1EBD009E40E9.png
    88A2B47A-3135-4C5B-B3C4-1EBD009E40E9.png
    891.3 KB · Views: 118

Weehotty

Were you taking the flozin when you were hospitalised?

yes when I was admitted the second time- i had appendicitis .. my sugars were 21 due to the infection .. ketones off the chart , i didnt know it at the time about the level of ketones but I requested my medical file later and then I saw how bad it was … when in the hospital they ended up putting me back on a drip, upped my medication and they whipped out my appendix the following day

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes when I was admitted the second time- i had appendicitis .. my sugars were 21 due to the infection .. ketones off the chart , i didnt know it at the time about the level of ketones but I requested my medical file later and then I saw how bad it was … when in the hospital they ended up putting me back on a drip, upped my medication and they whipped out my appendix the following day

Flozins are known to lead to DKA in a few people so...

Stay off the flozins and you should be ok with ketones providing of course you are producing your own insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
not got an infection x still awaiting my cpeptide and antibody results from blue horizon ..

porridge for breakfast

banana for snack

ham sandwich for lunch

yogurt for snack

gammon steak with veg and 5 chips ( lol i wish i hadnt counted then now)

Wholegrain cracker and soft cheese for supper ..

If I don't eat enough carbs I get ketones so I need to balance that line finely
That's got be the wrong approach. You should not be increasing Carbs to solve that problem. It's BS you need to measure not Ketones unless your BS is very high. Having ketones is normal if you are in ketosis and not dangerous unless your BS is high as well which is ketoacidosis. It may be your Gliclazide is actually too high and you are matching carbs to a dose that is too high? So Porridge is not good unless a small portion. Bananas are a No-No. Is the yogurt a no-added sugar one; most yogurts are rubbish. Try eggs and bacon etc for breakfast.

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
Way too many carbs. Carbs INCREASE blood glucose. So why would you want to increase them? Being in a state of Ketosis is a good thing. It's Ketoacidosis which is the dangerous one. I would drop all the grains, bread, crackers, Go CLEAN Keto or if you just cannot manage that, go LCHF and watch the blood glucose levels and work with doc to reduce meds. If you are T2 then you can fix it, reverse it and live life as normal. IMO - your dietician is not aware of how to treat, manage, control and fix T2D with nutrition. Being on meds for T2D is a diabolical situation and can only be detrimental. I've been on 20-50g carbs per day for years.

IrishAyes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
is it ? Porridge is a must for me , thats what the dietitian said . I cant eat eggs and i need food that keeps me going 30 gms carbs

23gms in banana
the sandwich one slice of bread 18 gm
but i get absolutely ravenous
the cracker is only 3gs of carbs

sorry dont know the amount of carbs in the 5 chips i had :(
You are getting ravenous because all you are eating is carbs. Those raise your blood sugar then plummet and leave you starving. Eat protein and healthy fats and you won't be ravenous, I promise.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi As a Type 1 (3.5 yrs) I am prone to DKA when ill, it’s pretty awful I can understand your reluctance to repeat the episode. Just a suggestion for you. How about full fat yogurt and a few berries for breakfast as you are allergic to eggs. A salad for lunch or soup that’s low carb there are a few around. Dinner protein and veg and berries and double cream? I eat 50g carbs a day, at most 75g carbs/day. If I ate porridge I would be sky high all day, might be worth cutting this out to rule it in or out of the problem. It will be very interesting when you get your test results as sounds like there is a real doubt about your type 2 diagnosis. Best wishes

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
You are getting ravenous because all you are eating is carbs. Those raise your blood sugar then plummet and leave you starving. Eat protein and healthy fats and you won't be ravenous, I promise.
Facts.