Physical effects of taming T2

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought it might be interesting to compile a list of what physical effects people have experienced as a result of getting their BG back to normal or normal-ish levels. Newbies often cite one ailment or another as an impediment to progressing with their diabetes control, I thought it might be helpful to list some of the changes we have experienced in our journeys.

In my own case I went very low carb, higher fat, higher salt, as soon as I was diagnosed in Dec 2019 and have maintained this ever since, so I cannot point the finger at exactly what has lead to the changes I have noticed. I would expect that the removal of most carbs and as a result, most gluten from my diet has reduced inflammatory effects and although I am not officially ‘gluten intolerant’ I was finding them harder and harder to digest. I have lost over 4 stone in weight too which doubtless feeds in as well, and of course high BG itself causes a myriad of issues. I started on 2000mg metformin, and halved the dose every 3 months until I stopped taking it altogether after 9 months.

So…

The positive effects -
Effortless weight loss
Clearing up of chronic psoriasis/fungal scalp infection
Complete remission (fingers crossed) of hydradenitis. Prior to diagnosis I was plagued by an endless cycle of multiple huge, painful, draining boils in armpit and groin, generally considered an autoimmune condition. I haven’t had a single one in over a year.
Vast improvement in chronic digestive issues - no bloating or acid reflux, although alcohol can bring a temporary return of an acid stomach.
Restless legs are gone!
I also suffered from burning pain along the top of one thigh. I assumed this was sciatica from a nerve entrapment in my buttock, but Dr Google suggests it might have been a form of neuropathy. Either way it’s mostly gone.
Low blood pressure - a bit too low sometimes leading to faintness on rising suddenly, but a bit more salt and proper hydration have dealt with that.
Much improved relationship with food - I no longer comfort eat or crave certain foods (mostly carbs), and am mostly driven by hunger these days so I don’t feel the need to keep stuffing myself. I have control for perhaps the first time in my life.
I no longer eat hyper-processed food, everything I eat is made from scratch with the exception of things like high-meat sausages, salami, bacon.

Negative effects (mostly from metformin in the early days) -
Constant low level nausea, occasional vomiting in the night for no real reason.
Chronic loss of appetite
Occasional bouts of explosive diarrhoea and ‘anal leakage’ - lovely!

Other negatives -
Blurred vision for 4-6 weeks after diagnosis as my BG reduced to normal levels.
Tendency to constipation these days - usually managed by eating a few extra veggies or a bit of psyllium husk powder.
Tendency to leg and foot cramps - I take a slow-release magnesium supplement to help with this.

I think that’s it for me. What have other people experienced? What approach did you take to tackle your T2?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I thought it might be interesting to compile a list of what physical effects people have experienced as a result of getting their BG back to normal or normal-ish levels. Newbies often cite one ailment or another as an impediment to progressing with their diabetes control, I thought it might be helpful to list some of the changes we have experienced in our journeys.

In my own case I went very low carb, higher fat, higher salt, as soon as I was diagnosed in Dec 2019 and have maintained this ever since, so I cannot point the finger at exactly what has lead to the changes I have noticed. I would expect that the removal of most carbs and as a result, most gluten from my diet has reduced inflammatory effects and although I am not officially ‘gluten intolerant’ I was finding them harder and harder to digest. I have lost over 4 stone in weight too which doubtless feeds in as well, and of course high BG itself causes a myriad of issues. I started on 2000mg metformin, and halved the dose every 3 months until I stopped taking it altogether after 9 months.

So…

The positive effects -
Effortless weight loss
Clearing up of chronic psoriasis/fungal scalp infection
Complete remission (fingers crossed) of hydradenitis. Prior to diagnosis I was plagued by an endless cycle of multiple huge, painful, draining boils in armpit and groin, generally considered an autoimmune condition. I haven’t had a single one in over a year.
Vast improvement in chronic digestive issues - no bloating or acid reflux, although alcohol can bring a temporary return of an acid stomach.
Restless legs are gone!
I also suffered from burning pain along the top of one thigh. I assumed this was sciatica from a nerve entrapment in my buttock, but Dr Google suggests it might have been a form of neuropathy. Either way it’s mostly gone.
Low blood pressure - a bit too low sometimes leading to faintness on rising suddenly, but a bit more salt and proper hydration have dealt with that.
Much improved relationship with food - I no longer comfort eat or crave certain foods (mostly carbs), and am mostly driven by hunger these days so I don’t feel the need to keep stuffing myself. I have control for perhaps the first time in my life.
I no longer eat hyper-processed food, everything I eat is made from scratch with the exception of things like high-meat sausages, salami, bacon.

Negative effects (mostly from metformin in the early days) -
Constant low level nausea, occasional vomiting in the night for no real reason.
Chronic loss of appetite
Occasional bouts of explosive diarrhoea and ‘anal leakage’ - lovely!

Other negatives -
Blurred vision for 4-6 weeks after diagnosis as my BG reduced to normal levels.
Tendency to constipation these days - usually managed by eating a few extra veggies or a bit of psyllium husk powder.
Tendency to leg and foot cramps - I take a slow-release magnesium supplement to help with this.

I think that’s it for me. What have other people experienced? What approach did you take to tackle your T2?
I think my only negative is that since drastically reducing carbs three months ago I still have blurred vision in my left eye. It began three weeks into lowering my carbs.
Positives are 1: I have absolutely no more indigestion!
2: my heartbeat .. which was loud and fast .. has gone
3: My diet is actually now highly enjoyable and I don't miss 'junk foods'
4: I have discovered my hip bones again after many years! :)
PS: Totally forgot this one but I always had tinnitus type noises in my ears, more so the left one, but that has also completely gone! Has anyone else found this has happened?

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Six years in I've remained in non D numbers even with a bladder cancer episode. I have lost 25-30% of peak weight, nothing to do with BC, so I guess those were the aims. Downside is I'm physically much weaker (but I'm 66 so what can I expect?) almost always hungry, wake ridiculously early far too often, frequently feel very cold and never go a whole month without some low level virus/needing to have a rest day = basic 10k steps. Managing T2 via diet and functioning well probably fought each other to a standstill. Others thrive on LC. It really is all N=1 and no one's journey/feelings/opinion is right. For me there is no overall verdict but I'm still here so TBC.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Fortunately I started from a low BG level having been diagnosed at an HbA1C of only 53. I had always been slim/very slim until nearly 20yrs of Low Fat eating nudged my weight up to be 2lbs into the overweight BMI category.

I've had no negative effects from Low Carb, but I took the precaution of adding more Sodium, taking lo-Salt as a potassium substitute (from giving up bananas) and also taking a magnesium supplement ( Mag Glycinate rather than citrate because I want to avoid the 'trots').

On Low Carb I have more energy I'm in remission from T2D never had to take any diabetes medication and have lost the weight that the Low fat eating put on - it took nearly 20yrs to put on and only 1yr to get rid of. I'm also less hungry and can fast (required for my regular colonoscopies) much easier.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A reduced need for Thyroxine might be a result of low carbing, being thinner stronger and more energetic is more likely a direct consequence.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say:
quick weight loss, not quite effortless but not arduous
Agree better relationship with food, reduced cravings and no binging
IBS symptoms vanished
Loving having far fewer wees.(didn't realise before how much I was affected, just put it down to age and gender)
Fewer migraines

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I'd say:
IBS symptoms vanished
Loving having far fewer wees.(didn't realise before how much I was affected, just put it down to age and gender)
Fewer migraines
That's great about the IBS .. my mum suffered for years with it, although never actually complained, but I knew her well enough to see her pain and discomfort

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say:
IBS symptoms vanished
Fewer migraines
Oh yes! I had forgotten, but I suffered some stress/urge urinary incontinence prior to diagnosis. This is completely gone too, mostly I think because I no longer have the abdominal fat pressing on my pelvic floor, but maybe sugary urine was also an irritant to the bladder, who knows…

SwissT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8 weeks in I find I have an aversion to the foods that I initially switched to, I can't stand chopped lettuce or bacon now, it could be that I developed an association between them and the initial metformin side-effects. I lost plenty of weight but have lower back pains now which is odd.

Positives are feeling good about weight loss, getting out and about with jogging and cycling, lower blood pressure in spite of weakening my treatment for this, Much better eating habits, my pre-diagnosis diet was basically all carbs and I worry about how much damage I did that I don't yet know about.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The use of bariatric surgery to obtain low calorie on top of a low carb diet allowed me great weight loss too, on top of low carb weight loss. I was morbidly obese but no more.
I suspected gallbladder problems due to pain but I had no stones. It was removed due to it being twisted and wrapped in adhesions from old operations. So definitely not from weight loss as I didn't remove all natural fats. Medium natural fat is suspected of warding off gallbladder stones. I relied on that one but old scars let me down. Not the method of reducing my diabetes status.
To date I hv very little spare skin. I hv well sealed hernias. Hernias from weight or heavy lifting. Latter most likely for me.

Metformin causes me digestional problems too.

God knows where trap nerves have been caused by as insulin therapy has stopped but my trapped nerves in back and neck still at times effects are severe.

Being able to lose insulin therapy is a huge plus for me. Beautiful new clothes too. Oh and of course the discharge letters from hospital departments.

Low carb eating initially gave me heart palpitations with a little more carb and less levothyroxine I'm now left with only chest pain which is suspected arthritic as ibuprofen gel works very well.

I will try more weight loss strictly in new year but money is now for Christmas. So praying weight loss but no palpitations. I'll monitor heavily now I'm a few years older.

I've very rarely used statins, ever but my weight loss adventure has made no difference to my cholesterol. HDL is high and LDL is still low. Even on butter, eggs and lard. Still combined a good level for a diabetic.

Overall loads to celebrate. No negativity. It took me a while but great I'm here to tell the tale.