Prediabetes suppliments

nigelcl

Hi
Has anyone advice on whether to use any supplements? I am losing weight and exercising - difficult to know from all the conflicting advice whether supplements work and if so which ones

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took a general mutivit and mineral supplement at the start when my eating was extremely reduced as a result of metformin nausea, but a later blood test (after about 9 months) revealed that all my levels were in rude good health, with a tad too much iron, so I stopped taking them. My diet had stabilised by that point and I was eating good, natural food. I also took a vit B12 while I was on metformin, because metformin can affect uptake of this vitamin. It is apparently best to take methyl (or methylated) B12 as it’s the most easily absorbed and utilised.

I do take vit D (because it’s a common deficiency in northern lands) and a slow-release magnesium for leg cramps (a common side effect of a low carb diet).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Has anyone advice on whether to use any supplements? I am losing weight and exercising - difficult to know from all the conflicting advice whether supplements work and if so which ones
Depends wholly on how you're tacking the prediabetes. If you changed the way you eat, and have gone drastically low carb, you might benefit from an electrolyte supplement to cancel out carb-flu, for about a week or two. If you haven't changed the way you eat, well... Nothing specifically for prediabetes. Multivits may be useful, but that's just in general.