Struck gold

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I went for my annual review and was dreading being told I needed to be eating whole grains etc. Yet another DN and this lady was a complete winner! She has been advocating low carbohydrate for 40 years, advises no more than 20g of carbohydrate per meal, takes classes to teach people how to cook low carbohydrate meals on a budget etc. She says she has managed to get long term insulin reliant clients off all medication and back to good health. When I asked her how she had managed to do this on the NHS she said that she had studied extensively and was confident in her outcomes so ignored the NICE guidelines. However, as a nurse, her approach is often ignored!
Interestingly she requested fasting blood lipids to include trigs and spoke knowledgeably about ratios etc. Why oh why is she not being given more of a voice?

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds amazing let’s hope more DNs follow. noticed you said for 40 years so maybe when she trained restricting sugars and avoiding carbs etc was more commonly used as a method rather than eat low fat high carb - especially processed cereals etc - and advice to take the meds! The processed food industry and the nutritional guidelines adopted by the NHS- eat well plate - have a lot to answer for.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went for my annual review and was dreading being told I needed to be eating while grains etc. Yet another DN and this lady was a complete winner! She has been advocating low carbohydrate for 40 years, advises no more than 20g of carbohydrate per meal, takes classes to teach people how to cook low carbohydrate meals on a budget etc. She says she has managed to get long term insulin reliant clients off all medication and back to good health. When I asked her how she had managed to do this on the NHS she said that she had studied extensively and was confident in her outcomes so ignored the NICE guidelines. However, as a nurse, her approach is often ignored!
Interestingly she requested fasting blood lipids to include trigs and spoke knowledgeably about ratios etc. Why oh why is she not being given more of a voice?
Which area of the country do I need to move to?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are some really clued up nurses out there! We (type 2 walking group) are setting up a type 2 low carb group in Stoneleigh and popped into the local surgery with my flyers. The lovely nurse and HCA know about eating less starch , know fruit isn't helpful but wish they had more time to support their patients through the shock of diagnosis and then to help them make changes.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy