changing insulin

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, just picked up my new insulin today. Starting on Lyumjev & Levemir. I've heard about Levemir and it sounds better than Lantus which I was previously on. Anybody on Lyumjev? Otherwise known as lispro. Stopped with novarapid. Glad it's unit for unit so I don't need to recalculate my ratio.

Reactions: Antje77

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, just picked up my new insulin today. Starting on Lyumjev & Levemir. I've heard about Levemir and it sounds better than Lantus which I was previously on. Anybody on Lyumjev? Otherwise known as lispro. Stopped with novarapid. Glad it's unit for unit so I don't need to recalculate my ratio.
From what I’ve read it’s their attempt at making their own Fiasp. So from that I’d guess you should, in theory, see some faster action out of it, but I’ve not heard any users say anything about it.

Levimir has some quite big peaks and troughs, if you can line-up right it has great results.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried Lyumjev for a little while. Be aware it works much quicker than NovoRapid. For me that was very nice, as I needed to prebolus NovoRapid by 45 minutes or so to prevent after meal spikes, on Lyumjev I can just inject and eat. But if you're reacting quicker than me to insulin you want to watch out for hypo's, especially with meals which are slower to digest, like pizza and such.

I was already on Fiasp (NovoRapid's quicker sister, just like Lyumjev is to Humalog) when I asked for a couple of pens of Lyumjev, mostly out of curiosity.
It did unit for unit, so no issue there.
It also worked a tiny bit quicker than Fiasp for me (nice!) and it stung a little (not so nice).
The main reason I decided to stick with Fiasp was that I like my novopen5 with a memory function enough to not want to swap for the slightly better effect of the Lyumjev.

Had it been a choice between Lyumjev and NovoRapid I'd definitely choose Lyumjev, my life has gotten much easier with a quicker acting bolus insulin!

I've heard about Levemir and it sounds better than Lantus which I was previously on.
Levemir has a slightly shorter working profile than Lantus for most. It might be you'll find it's not doing enough in the hours before your next injection. Many people take Levemir split between morning and night, something to keep in mind should you notice you tend to go high before your next dose is due.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was already splitting lantus as it didn't work long enough. So for now I will carry on splitting the Levemir with the same dose and unit for unit on Lyumjev. Haven't noticed Lyumjev working any quicker as yet but it's only day 1. Hope these new insulins improve my already poorly controlled diabetes.