Worried

xirles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had blood sugar of 19.1 in the evening after eating pasta! This was last Thursday. I have readings around 10.5 every morning but now running at 12. Cut out all carbs for 5 days now and 12.5 morning and not dropping below 11. This afternoon 18.5, cannot work out why.
Question: Has the strict no carb caused issues? Up every hour to pass urine for last 24 hours. On glyclazide 40mgs in the morning and metformin 850 mgs twice a day. Hba1c 6 weeks ago was 62.
Feeling exhausted today ( partly due to lack of sleep I expect!
I have never been overweight, diagnosed several years ago after glucose tolerance test. Have been for a walk but bg reading not changed at all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had blood sugar of 19.1 in the evening after eating pasta! This was last Thursday. I have readings around 10.5 every morning but now running at 12. Cut out all carbs for 5 days now and 12.5 morning and not dropping below 11. This afternoon 18.5, cannot work out why.
Question: Has the strict no carb caused issues? Up every hour to pass urine for last 24 hours. On glyclazide 40mgs in the morning and metformin 850 mgs twice a day. Hba1c 6 weeks ago was 62.
I have never been overweight, diagnosed several years ago after glucose tolerance test. Have been for a walk but bg reading not changed at all.
If you had pasta, assuming it's not a konjac or something... You're not doing low carb. What are you usually eating and drinking in a day? Maybe something's going wrong somewhere, and hopefully, it'll be an easy fix.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was a bit too quick, sorry. If you've suddenly gone very low carb, you'll lose a lot of water-weight, and will be peeing for England. So that could be the issue (which will pass as it stabilises), but your high blood sugars might be to blame as well. If you're low carb and on gliclazide, keep an eye even more, because you could hypo. As for morning readings, those are the last to come down as your liver dumps glucose to start the day. There's a whole lot to consider and look at, so the more information you can give us, the better!

Reactions: KK123

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
If you had pasta, assuming it's not a konjac or something... You're not doing low carb. What are you usually eating and drinking in a day? Maybe something's going wrong somewhere, and hopefully, it'll be an easy fix.
I think xirles meant that the pasta consumption was last week, so five days ago Jo?

xirles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long is the excessive peeing likely to last? Feeling pretty lousy today tbh. Can the low/ carb free for 5 days be exacerbating the fatigue?
Have cut out all carbs since Friday last week.
Breakfast: 3 egg omelette or bacon, egg and mushrooms
Lunch: salad leaves, cucumber, onion and chicken or ham
Dinner: salmon with broccoli, or cauliflower rice with either pork/ beef/ roast chicken
Only drink water or sugar free flavoured water.
Walk 50-60 minutes daily despite peripheral vascular disease affecting legs.

Reactions: alex1965

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think xirles meant that the pasta consumption was last week, so five days ago Jo?
(Little secret: I never got the hang of Thursday and Tuesday. I have a hard time telling them apart. Thank you!)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @xirles I find it difficult to tell if your are experiencing these BG levels yourself, or if it's your husband like with pervious posts.

Some re-assurance which may also be bad news: It's physically impossible for Low Carb to cause higher Blood Glucose - so the cause must be elsewhere.

It is possible that you/your husband was mis-diagnosed as Type 2. Slim Type 2's are in the minority (around 10% or so) though I am one. However late onset ( i.e. adult) Type 1's are often diagnosed as Type 2's. If you/hubby is really a LADA then longer term there will be no alternative to Insulin as the remaining beta cells in the pancreas stop working. This 'honeymoon period for a Type 1 can last from months to years - making both diagnosis an treatment complicated since the maximum insulin able to be produced by the pancreas fluctuates.

Contact your GP and ask for (both gad and C-Peptide) tests to confirm if really a late onset Type 1 or not.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long is the excessive peeing likely to last? Feeling pretty lousy today tbh. Can the low/ carb free for 5 days be exacerbating the fatigue?
Dinner: salmon with broccoli, or cauliflower rice with either pork/ beef/ roast chicken
Yeah, that would increase urine-output... You've gone really low carb. Carbs hold on to water, and when you stop them, out it all comes. Fatigue is likely part of a bit of carb- or keto-flu... If you're feeling sore in joints and muscles, have headaches and the like, you might want to grab an electrolyte supplement, or add in some extra salt, as you're likely getting a bit dehydrated. That'll all sort itself out in a few days, up to two weeks though. A supplement, bone broth, a bit of coconut milk, should help get you through it. But the first days, the peeing is extra excessive. Take it easy, and give your body a moment to adjust. It will, believe me.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Apart from carbs, there is a long list of things which may raise Blood Glucose.
Most Common ones are:-
Illness
Injury
Medication such as statins or steroids
Stress
Lack of sleep
Vigorous exercise (moderate is best) - but this is usually very short lasting.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
(Little secret: I never got the hang of Thursday and Tuesday. I have a hard time telling them apart. Thank you!)
Sorry Jo, I immediately noticed that you had picked up on it as soon as I'd posted :)

xirles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @xirles I find it difficult to tell if your are experiencing these BG levels yourself, or if it's your husband like with pervious posts.

Some re-assurance which may also be bad news: It's physically impossible for Low Carb to cause higher Blood Glucose - so the cause must be elsewhere.

It is possible that you/your husband was mis-diagnosed as Type 2. Slim Type 2's are in the minority (around 10% or so) though I am one. However late onset ( i.e. adult) Type 1's are often diagnosed as Type 2's. If you/hubby is really a LADA then longer term there will be no alternative to Insulin as the remaining beta cells in the pancreas stop working. This 'honeymoon period for a Type 1 can last from months to years - making both diagnosis an treatment complicated since the maximum insulin able to be produced by the pancreas fluctuates.

Contact your GP and ask for (both gad and C-Peptide) tests to confirm if really a late onset Type 1 or not.
Sorry, yes it's my husband! He will not post himself..ever! I have been with him to see GP in the past and was totally dismissed about type1/LADA each time. His sister developed type 1 in her 40's and sadly died 20 years later from pancreatic cancer.
Is it possible to get a private blood test to rule out Type 1? Since Covid our already "less than good " GP surgery has deteriorated further.
Two hours after carb free meal in daytime his bg rises on average at least by 2!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, yes it's my husband! He will not post himself..ever! I have been with him to see GP in the past and was totally dismissed about type1/LADA each time. His sister developed type 1 in her 40's and sadly died 20 years later from pancreatic cancer.
Is it possible to get a private blood test to rule out Type 1? Since Covid our already "less than good " GP surgery has deteriorated further.
Two hours after carb free meal in daytime his bg rises on average at least by 2!!
Two points is acceptable, but the basic numbers are still high... It's kind of early days, with just under a week of low carbing, but yes, you can get a C-peptide and a GAD test done privately, should you wish to. Considering there's a sister with late onset t1... It's something I'd certainly look into.

xirles

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jo. I will look at a private test for him. I have always had concerns that he doesn't really fit the average Type 2 profile but he prefers to just mostly ignore my suggestions as he says he hates any form of " illnesses" and will just carry on with current treatments ( I might need to get our son to speak to him as he is a paramedic and my husband values his advice). I was a nurse for over 40 years but hey ho, I am just his wife!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jo. I will look at a private test for him. I have always had concerns that he doesn't really fit the average Type 2 profile but he prefers to just mostly ignore my suggestions as he says he hates any form of " illnesses" and will just carry on with current treatments ( I might need to get our son to speak to him as he is a paramedic and my husband values his advice). I was a nurse for over 40 years but hey ho, I am just his wife!!
Isn't that always how it goes? ;) But yeah... If it is a misdiagnosis, he'll need insulin, or he'll eventually probably find himself in hospital with DKA. Better safe than sorry.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At least you have the means to check blood glucose levels, but they are not dropping in the way I would have expected, from my own experience, for a typical, ordinary type 2 - I'd advise keeping a close eye on levels and if they don't start to reduce very soon, consider contacting 111 over the weekend, or even 999 if there are symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis at any time.

Tannith

BANNED
Could you be T1?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's not easy getting a C-Peptide and Gad test done privately. Medichecks used to do them but not any longer. My local Spire is now offering C-Peptide tests with a Dr consulting. You could insist on getting your GP to refer you to the Diabetes Clinic which my DN willingly did but the clinic are useless

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Your diet sounds perfect. X.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
He is probably just scared because of his sister. Bless her. X