Gestational diabetes and confused

Jenny86

Hi, I’ve recently been told I have Gd (currently 30 weeks pregnant).
My first appointment with the diabetic nurse was quite positive I was told what my targets should be (under 5.6 fasting and no higher than 7.8 for after meals) great I thought after going a good couple weeks of having all my targets in range..
Come to my second appointment this time with the dr who without explanation told me I was to go onto insulin as my morning readings were too high? (What? They’ve all been hitting my target) I asked because as far as I was concerned all was well, she mumbled something about it should be under 5.2 and I felt very rushed out of the room in shock! I feel so deflated now, my baby is measuring on the 10th centile (previous pregnancy’s were the same) so this isn’t a concern, but all I’m doing now is second guessing everything I’ve been told!
My anxiety is sky high now, I’m scared of taking the insulin but also scared of not..
any advice is very much welcome x
(Sorry for the long post)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That makes no sense - not that I take insulin, but I read a lot - you ought to be at 5 to drive, for instance - lowering your blood glucose down so there is no room for error - surely you are being asked to do the impossible.
Try not to worry - and don't worry about posting - you need advice from someone sensible, and it doesn't seem as though that is that doctor.
Maybe request appointments with the nurse in the hope of at least having more time.

johndevis960

That makes no sense - not that I take insulin, but I read a lot - you ought to be at 5 to drive, for instance - lowering your blood glucose down so there is no room for error - surely you are being asked to do the impossible.
Try not to worry - and don't worry about posting - you need advice from someone sensible, and it doesn't seem as though that is that doctor.
Maybe request appointments with the nurse in the hope of at least having more time.
i have also this disease and when i feel so then i try this and then this helped me for controlling my sugar levels

Jenny86

Thankyou!
I obviously want to have the healthiest pregnancy but the stress of this now feels worse than ever, I appreciate the hospital are just looking out for my best interests but I am thinking of seeking a second opinion, my GTT test came back as 0.1 over the ‘cutouff threshold’ and I have no other symptoms of having gd in any other blood/urine tests maybe I’m just a born skeptic but I feel like I’m losing my mind a little with it all x

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I had GD 27 years ago (diabetic now as I put on weight and family history; so try to stay slim after your baby) - my son was a week early and weighed 5.15. My 3 were all small so I wonder if all GD have large babies? You need to speak with another GD pregnant lady and see what her goals are. I wish you lots of luck with your baby. X