Has anyone experimented with more carbs pre/post workouts?

fendertele

So far the LCHF diet has been great and im not back in normal levels... when I test pre meal im normally 5.5 to 5.8 and the spike while on the low carb is never much more than an increase of 1.

But I was curious if anyone had experimented with consuming a huge amount of carbs that would normally cause their blood levels to go through the roof before going to the gym for a heavy workout ? and if the workout and using the carbs for energy possibly prevented a huge spike ?

I was temped on gym/lifting days to have a carb heavy meal right before working out and then testing myself after an hour at the gym to see how much of a increase I got.... I would be performing high intensity/heavy lifting... So I was hoping if I burning through it that it wouldnt spike.

Any input ?

Reactions: ickihun

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
So far the LCHF diet has been great and im not back in normal levels... when I test pre meal im normally 5.5 to 5.8 and the spike while on the low carb is never much more than an increase of 1.

But I was curious if anyone had experimented with consuming a huge amount of carbs that would normally cause their blood levels to go through the roof before going to the gym for a heavy workout ? and if the workout and using the carbs for energy possibly prevented a huge spike ?

I was temped on gym/lifting days to have a carb heavy meal right before working out and then testing myself after an hour at the gym to see how much of a increase I got.... I would be performing high intensity/heavy lifting... So I was hoping if I burning through it that it wouldnt spike.

Any input ?
After he became Type 2 diabetic and discovered Low Carb, Prof Tim Noakes author of the famed book on long distance running 'The Lore of Running'. removed all references to 'carb loading' from his book. I think that gives you the answer you are looking for.
However if you are a professional athlete in an explosive rather than an endurance event, a certain amount or carb loading may be beneficial to performance, since such a person is 'burning energy' at such a rapid rate, possibly beyond the ability of the body to supply it form internal fat stores. There is still heated debate in this area.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Yeah, I’ve done tons of experiments lol. Heavy lifting always gives me a raise whether I carb load or not. Sometimes I do eat some carbs pre workout, sometimes not depending on my mood/energy.

Post workout, I can eat a birthday cake, rice, chocolate milk, potatoes or whatever. I’m back in the 4s within an hour of my workout. I’ll run in the 3s-4s until the next workout.

I’ve tested this many times with a CGM. My goal was to find the best amount of carbs to restore glycogen and aid in recovery.

leg day, I eat 25grams pre, 30-50 grams post.
Upper body, nothing pre, 30-50 grams post.
All other meals are no/trace carbs.

this works pretty good, I can recover well. My last A1c was 5.1%. Plug in a sensor and you can make adjustments for you

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Just to add, if you’re looking to burn off dawn phenomenon or fatty liver, don’t carb load pre workout. Your liver will have enough storage to get you through your workout. You’ll know when your liver leans out, because you’ll run out of gas lol.

it’s miraculous what 90 minutes of crushing iron will do to T2s

fendertele

After he became Type 2 diabetic and discovered Low Carb, Prof Tim Noakes author of the famed book on long distance running 'The Lore of Running'. removed all references to 'carb loading' from his book. I think that gives you the answer you are looking for.
However if you are a professional athlete in an explosive rather than an endurance event, a certain amount or carb loading may be beneficial to performance, since such a person is 'burning energy' at such a rapid rate, possibly beyond the ability of the body to supply it form internal fat stores. There is still heated debate in this area.

Yes I'm doing heavy lifting, short bursts of maximum lifting capacity. Strong man lifting and sprints... and since going LCHF my strength has suffered. I've maintained the same calories as I had been eating pre LCHF however as those calories now come from protein and fat with very little carbs I believe it must be the Macro split as the calories are the same.

fendertele

Just to add, if you’re looking to burn off dawn phenomenon or fatty liver, don’t carb load pre workout. Your liver will have enough storage to get you through your workout. You’ll know when your liver leans out, because you’ll run out of gas lol.

it’s miraculous what 90 minutes of crushing iron will do to T2s

Hi sorry just so I can get a better understanding are you suggesting that carb loading post workout would be a good thing but to avoid pre workout ? The reason I ask is my lifts/strength have suffered hugely since going LCHF and this is not due to the lack of calories as my number of calories have remained the same but purely due to the macro split and very low carb consumption... So my whole reason for hoping this was possible was to be able to have them both before for strength and after for recovery.

Tonight after being a on a LCHF diet for over 6 months with a strict low/no sugar approach I decided to experiment as I was hungry and there was nothing else in my fridge.

I found an old Almond Magnum ice cream bar that was in my freezer and tested pre and 1/2 hours after.

pre - 5.4

1 hours 6.2

2 hours 5.7

This makes me think if this is my reaction to a small amount of carbs/sugar and being sedentary... I could possibly carb load prior to a workout and remain within a reasonable level ?

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go to the gym early, always have a cup of tea when I get up, then take strong black coffee with heaped teaspoon of coconut oil and a bottle of water, depends on the workout but usually a raise of only 1 or 2 points, have a big breakfast when I get home

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hi sorry just so I can get a better understanding are you suggesting that carb loading post workout would be a good thing but to avoid pre workout ? The reason I ask is my lifts/strength have suffered hugely since going LCHF and this is not due to the lack of calories as my number of calories have remained the same but purely due to the macro split and very low carb consumption... So my whole reason for hoping this was possible was to be able to have them both before for strength and after for recovery.

Tonight after being a on a LCHF diet for over 6 months with a strict low/no sugar approach I decided to experiment as I was hungry and there was nothing else in my fridge.

I found an old Almond Magnum ice cream bar that was in my freezer and tested pre and 1/2 hours after.

pre - 5.4

1 hours 6.2

2 hours 5.7

This makes me think if this is my reaction to a small amount of carbs/sugar and being sedentary... I could possibly carb load prior to a workout and remain within a reasonable level ?

Basically, I’m suggesting you do what ever it takes to both, kill it at the gym, and maintain awesome BG levels. I’m also saying, don’t be too alarmed at your BG levels during your workout. IMHO, you should order one or two libre sensors so you can optimize your pre/post workout meals regarding carbs.

For me, I was having high morning BG levels so I moved my workouts to the morning to kill two birds with one stone. My current plan is:
6am- breakfast, two eggs and a slab of baked or smoked salmon.
8am- pre workout is 40grams of oats mixed with chocolate whey protein.
9am - walk into the gym, I have an intra workout drink 20grams of pure dextrose, 5 grams of salt lite , 20 grams of BCAAs. I sip on this for my two hours at the gym.
11am- I’m done working out, I down a quick protein shake, whey.
11:30 am I eat lunch, something fast absorbing to get recovery going. Usually several plates of sushi, or chicken breast and rice.
By the time I get home, around noon, my BG is in the mid 4s. no more carbs for the rest of the day.
Around 4pm I usually grill up a steak and veggies.
That’s usually it, I’ll have an avocado or some cheese, or nuts as a snack.

I know this works for me, but it may not work for you. That’s why I highly recommend getting a libre sensor or two to work out a plan that’s optimal for you.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
BTY , I post all my meals, workouts , BG levels on instagram. Don’t need to follow because it’s just boring, because I’m really boring and have no life lol.

I’m really interested in what other T2s are doing as far as weight training goes.

laodan_fit
361699EF-EC69-44BE-A284-F57E9EDD9262.jpeg

Reactions: KK123 and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cortisol is the hormone which can raise your bgs in exercise which is strenuous to you. We all hv different levels which trigger this stress hormone.
This raises bgs for survival. These raised bgs should give you energy to gym however some can trigger lactic acid which attacks the muscles. Is that how you feel doing weights?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The research I have done indicates that it is only at the elite level there might be differences. There are perceived mental differences during a transition; I had this with going off a cliff at 3 miles of fast walking in my first year. Pushing through and sticking with it, just like in the Faster Study gets you back and further.

Robert Sykes (Keto Savage), Luis Villasenor (Keto Gains), Nsima Inyang (Natty Professor) all lift amazingly with riculous body composition and have to know what they are doing for commercial reasons....but I also know Rob Wolfe now does a few carbs for heavy sessions and Danny Vega has played quite a bit.

As I am now doing 2 meals a day you could call my breakfast a pre-meal. The limiting factor for me is what my sleep was like, zero carbs make no difference to my output.

Reactions: LaoDan

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found exercise can help “burn off” some of the blood sugar rise that occurs from higher carbs. However I have also found that they then do increase afterwards, so whilst there is an improvement it is transitory

I’ve had some polite disagreements with my personal trainer who wants me to eat more carbs but I have explained that whilst it gives some extra energy, and in my experience it isn’t hugely significant, the impact on my bloods isn’t acceptable

I’m not a power lifter, potentially there is a difference there but I’d be wary of relying on the 2 hour window for large carb and exercise. CGM has changed how we can view what it does, but for many of us we can’t afford that level of checks

I believe very much that this is all a very personal impact. Some people may well find carb loading and exercise works, others it only delays things, others it doesn’t work at all…

Reactions: LaoDan and coby

fendertele

Cortisol is the hormone which can raise your bgs in exercise which is strenuous to you. We all hv different levels which trigger this stress hormone.
This raises bgs for survival. These raised bgs should give you energy to gym however some can trigger lactic acid which attacks the muscles. Is that how you feel doing weights?

No it's purely that I can't lift as heavy as I could when I had a better macro split. If I eat 3000 calories on the LCHF I'm weaker in the gym than If I ate 3000 calories that has a higher carb %.

The carbs are the deciding factor on how heavy I can lift when I hit the gym.

Reactions: LaoDan
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
No it's purely that I can't lift as heavy as I could when I had a better macro split. If I eat 3000 calories on the LCHF I'm weaker in the gym than If I ate 3000 calories that has a higher carb %.

The carbs are the deciding factor on how heavy I can lift when I hit the gym.

I eat carnivore, under 25g carbs per day on average, and am consistently getting stronger. My training is unaffected by limiting carbs.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I eat carnivore, under 25g carbs per day on average, and am consistently getting stronger. My training is unaffected by limiting carbs.
Same experience here. ATP is what is produced ultimately, then all we have to do is recruit the muscle fibres for the job. Of course if the mitochondrial mechanisms have not been built fully to take advantage of fat derived energy, there will be a feeling of flatness.

fendertele

Yeah must be different for individuals, Since switching to LCHF I'm no longer able to hit my max weight that I used too and I've even tried going into a surplus the last 2 months in an attempt to get back to my old ATH and had no joy. Right now my Max lifts are on par with my max lifts when I was cutting but eating carbs... and a fair bit off my max lifts when I was on maintenance calories that included carbs.

I'm going to try what Andy does with just adding Oats in a pre and post workout shake to see if I can get over this hurdle as I lift to make progress strength wise more than anything.

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
Yeah must be different for individuals, Since switching to LCHF I'm no longer able to hit my max weight that I used too and I've even tried going into a surplus the last 2 months in an attempt to get back to my old ATH and had no joy. Right now my Max lifts are on par with my max lifts when I was cutting but eating carbs... and a fair bit off my max lifts when I was on maintenance calories that included carbs.

I'm going to try what Andy does with just adding Oats in a pre and post workout shake to see if I can get over this hurdle as I lift to make progress strength wise more than anything.

May be a silly question, but must ask....Have you calculated your Keto/LCHF caloric surplus macros?

fendertele

The main lift that I've noticed it with
May be a silly question, but must ask....Have you calculated your Keto/LCHF caloric surplus macros?

With lyfsum app I just adjust my calories so for example my surplus calories right now being around 3500 calories and then set my carb intake to 80g per day then I set my Fat/Protein to round it off. If that's what you mean ?