Which Insulin better for low-carb?

Hello! I am a type 1 diabetic. My insulin is Novorapid (pens), but I don't like to eat a lot of carbs -- it's not my food pattern. When I was in a hospital, my doctor told me: "Dont eat so many proteins and fats as you used to. You must eat many carbs and use Novorapid".
Course, I dont't want to obey this. I really don't like bread, potato and etc.
But Novorapid which I get -- is ultrafast insulin and (hypothetically) created for super-carbs food.
Maybe, someone have an expirience with Nororapid and low-carb? Maybe, another insulin will be better?

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I am a type 1 diabetic. My insulin is Novorapid (pens), but I don't like to eat a lot of carbs -- it's not my food pattern. When I was in a hospital, my doctor told me: "Dont eat so many proteins and fats as you used to. You must eat many carbs and use Novorapid".
Course, I dont't want to obey this. I really don't like bread, potato and etc.
But Novorapid which I get -- is ultrafast insulin and (hypothetically) created for super-carbs food.
Maybe, someone have an expirience with Nororapid and low-carb? Maybe, another insulin will be better?

Hi, I am type 1 on NovoRapid and Insulartard (Basal) , I am very fit and compete in endurance events and I am on circa 120 to 150 Grams of Carb a day without any problems.

With smaller Carbs less insulin less mistake less swings.

Keto diet-not advisable for a type 1 and that is where Doc's mind go.

However if I eat a big steak or more than fatty meal with my carbs I follow this for my Bolus.

https://cdn.website-editor.net/f420...How-to-bolus-fir-fat-and-protein-KISS-MDI.pdf

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
NovoRapid is fine for a low carb diet.
It is not unltrafast, it is fast acting. Ultrafast insulins are newer .and include Fiasp
If you are eating very low or no carbs, you will need to count the protein instead of carbs. In the absence of carbs, protein will affect your blood sugars but the affect will be slower so you will need to take your bolus later.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hello! I am a type 1 diabetic. My insulin is Novorapid (pens), but I don't like to eat a lot of carbs --

Are you using a basal (long acting) insulin as well? Usually you'd have the basal cover your insulin needs when you are not eating and then add in the bolus/novorapid (unkindly called novosluggish by some) so although it is fast acting relative to basal I wouldn't personally describe it as super fast.

How many carbs do you typically like to eat for a meal/in a day? There is a big difference between say 90g a day and 20g. The reason why many doctors dislike keto for T1s is that it puts you into dietary ketosis, which can make it hard to detect diabetic ketoacidosis, a potential issue for T1s. Though some T1s do eat keto diets anyway, you do then have to bolus for proteins.

Reactions: Trevor vP

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I follow a keto diet and use a split-bolus. I take Novorapid for the carbs 20 min before eating and Actrapid for the protein when I finish eating. Actrapid is the type of regular insulin Dr. Bernstein recommends on a keto diet because it better follows the slow release of glucose from protein. You could also use it to dose for the carbs if you pre-bolus, the reason I use Novorapid is because I have it to correct high sugars and it would go to waste if I didn't use it for something else. Either way works. Your doctor's idea that you must eat a lot carbs would be contested by the many people with type one on a low carb diet who are doing just fine.

Reactions: Stefans

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I am a T1. Very low carb (around 20g per day) and high fat. Have been on this diet for 7 years. I use novorapid (around 10 units / day) and Levimir (12/day).
I find it takes 2 hrs for novorapid to kick in using my Freestyle Libre, or 1.75hrs using test strips.
Levemir takes 4hrs and lasts about 8hrs

I feel fitter, healthier and stronger now than before taking up LCHF.

Not sure if I am Keto. Not really bothered. I will never change my diet, it suits me….. but sure it won’t suit all…. I can take some small beers without needing insulin, but only one, then I switch to dry wine.
If I have a very high protein meal I will often find my sugars start to rise 4hrs after, then needing an extra unit or two of novorapid

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Levemir for basal and NovoRapid for bolus.

For me Novorapid takes 20 to 30 minutes to start working, reaches peak effect at about 2 hours and is gone by 4 hours.

If you are type 1 you need to sort out a basal insulin - which is not NovoRapid. If you want maximum flexibility you should have a longer acting insulin like Levemir for basal, and separate fast acting insulin for bolus/high blood glucose correction.

I think you need to contact your medical team and discuss your desired approach, so they can help select the most appropriate insulins for you and help you safely transition from what you are doing at the moment to basal/bolus insulin and transition to a low carb diet.

Stefans

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ruslan, I use
* Actrapid for food.
* and I only use Novorapid for bolus, i.e. to correct when I'm too high. (of if I (very rarely) cheat and have to eat food which I know have carbs)

I eat a very low carb diet, I don't test for ketones, but the few times it has been tested the last 5+ years I have always been in ketosis.
For me I eat mostly protein and fats, I normally take a quite low dose of actrapid, 3-4 units.
and I often need to take another top-up does 3-5 hours later.