HbA1c - 1st Review at the Docs.

ViolaterUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I posted the other day how I was going for my review today after having my bloods taken last week.

I was diagnosed around March last year, I came here, got loads of help and started off well. Lockdown hit, the world turned to poop, life at home was hard and I stopped monitoring and returned to my old ways.

June this year I reassessed, gave myself a kick up the bum and from the 1st of July, I was testing regular, reduced carbs, cut out all the **** (crisps, sweets, chocs, the instantly bad things I consumed in volumes). My weight was 31st 3lbs!!

My Hba1c on my diagnosis was 67. Was massively as high as others, but put me firmly into T2. Was told to take metformin.

Today, my Hba1c is 41!!!! I can't believe it, I am so over the moon!! ALL my bloods are within the correct ranges and have all reduced since my last bloods. I couldn't be more happier. My nurse said if I continue on this path, my next review in 3-months she expects me to be lower, stop the metformin and tell me I'm in remission, doesn't mean to stop this improved lifestyle but something to aim and be proud to achieve. My weight now is 28st 2lbs, just over 3st lost!

My nurse (I've not seen her before) was lovely. She said what I was doing was great and clearly working, she offered me support, told me to call her whenever if I needed. She even referred me to the podiatrist for feet care (I currently paid privately) and also referred me to Active + about free gym membership as I said I wanted to go to help increase fitness. I explained I never knew these things were available, she admitted stuff like this is poorly communicated and that it depends on who you speak to at the Drs! She said we should all be offering the same support!!

The only concern I have not health wise is my blood pressure. It's been high since I was diagnosed with T2 and they've doubled my meds twice within the month and it's not coming down. So I'm back to see her regularly at the moment as she doesn't want to just wait 3 months to review it again.

For anyone new here, or anything in the same boat and lost control, just know that within 3 months you can make a massive difference to your health. I have no doubt that if I had my review in June, my levels would have been a lot higher! There is lots of fantastic support here and online, you may not get the best nurse/doctor to support you but there are others in the same boat who can help!

I can honestly say I do not recall a time where I have been more proud of myself than right now!. Its an amazing feeling!

V

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted the other day how I was going for my review today after having my bloods taken last week.

I was diagnosed around March last year, I came here, got loads of help and started off well. Lockdown hit, the world turned to poop, life at home was hard and I stopped monitoring and returned to my old ways.

June this year I reassessed, gave myself a kick up the bum and from the 1st of July, I was testing regular, reduced carbs, cut out all the **** (crisps, sweets, chocs, the instantly bad things I consumed in volumes). My weight was 31st 3lbs!!

My Hba1c on my diagnosis was 67. Was massively as high as others, but put me firmly into T2. Was told to take metformin.

Today, my Hba1c is 41!!!! I can't believe it, I am so over the moon!! ALL my bloods are within the correct ranges and have all reduced since my last bloods. I couldn't be more happier. My nurse said if I continue on this path, my next review in 3-months she expects me to be lower, stop the metformin and tell me I'm in remission, doesn't mean to stop this improved lifestyle but something to aim and be proud to achieve. My weight now is 28st 2lbs, just over 3st lost!

My nurse (I've not seen her before) was lovely. She said what I was doing was great and clearly working, she offered me support, told me to call her whenever if I needed. She even referred me to the podiatrist for feet care (I currently paid privately) and also referred me to Active + about free gym membership as I said I wanted to go to help increase fitness. I explained I never knew these things were available, she admitted stuff like this is poorly communicated and that it depends on who you speak to at the Drs! She said we should all be offering the same support!!

The only concern I have not health wise is my blood pressure. It's been high since I was diagnosed with T2 and they've doubled my meds twice within the month and it's not coming down. So I'm back to see her regularly at the moment as she doesn't want to just wait 3 months to review it again.

For anyone new here, or anything in the same boat and lost control, just know that within 3 months you can make a massive difference to your health. I have no doubt that if I had my review in June, my levels would have been a lot higher! There is lots of fantastic support here and online, you may not get the best nurse/doctor to support you but there are others in the same boat who can help!

I can honestly say I do not recall a time where I have been more proud of myself than right now!. Its an amazing feeling!

V
Hearty congratulations. Top job.

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@ViolaterUK Congratulations.
What was your Blood Pressure when diagnosed with T2D and what was it at this check-up?
It's quite unusual if the combination of weight loss and low carb (= less sodium retention) hasn't reduced your Blood Pressure.

ViolaterUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ViolaterUK Congratulations.
What was your Blood Pressure when diagnosed with T2D and what was it at this check-up?
It's quite unusual if the combination of weight loss and low carb (= less sodium retention) hasn't reduced your Blood Pressure.

Hi Ian,

If I'm honest, I don't recall the original blood pressure which they diagnosed me with hypertension and resulted in the meds. I was supposed to have gone back after 3-months originally but Covid hit and well, lots of things were cancelled and pushed back.

But since I went back the docs about a month ago, it's been pretty high, usually around 170-190/90-105

In the docs today, it was 195/103, admittedly it's not usually this high, but I test regularly at home and the top number is usually above 170 (high of 205 one night!) and the bottom number has been around 90-105.

They need the top number down to around 120 I think the Doc said when I spoke to him on the phone. They've upped my Ramipril from 2.5 (from diagnosis over a yr ago) to 5mg 3 weeks ago, to 7.5mg this past week.

I'm back next week for review of it again and bloods/urine for my kidneys to ensure the meds aren't affecting them.

If I'm honest, my BP has never been a problem and I was surprised last year when they said it was high. I'm a big guy (always have been but BP never been an issue) but I'm getting older too and it may finally be taking a toll.

3 stone weight loss as well doesn't appear to be dropping it, to the point where on a recent opticians appointment, they referred me to the eye hospital as some blood vessels were swollen. I'm back in on Saturday for a further scan to see whether the swelling has stopped or continuing but they think it's linked to my high BP.

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is a fantastic result. Taking control of your blood sugar levels like you have will make the most enormous difference to your future health and quality of life. An HbA1c level of 41 is in the normal, non-diabetic range, bravo! Into the 30's for the next one!

The surgery keeping a careful eye on your kidney function as they gradually increase your Ramipril dosage is standard practice, they did it with me too (I'm on 10mg a day). There's good reason to think that as you continue to take off more weight and get fitter your hypertension will improve.

Just think of the progress you've made in the last 3 months and where you could be in another 6 and 12 months time. Keep at it and good luck.

Reactions: ianpspurs

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.

V
Absolutely well done. This was me. I was diagnosed 2 years ago, did so well, lost 3 stone my a1c down to 37! Then yep lockdown hit. I’m now doing it all over again and hopefully this time will b a way of life. Well done to you. I think bp may come down as you lose more weight. But b****y well done. Xx.

Reactions: ianpspurs