Hi newly diagnosed T2 help please

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What time are you having your evening meal? I've found having a low carb bed time snack has helped keep blood sugars stable over night and I usually wake up with a good reading. I see you have some food intolerances but my usual bed time snack is cheese with M&s seeded crackers or some peanuts. If I wasn't pregnant I probably wouldn't be as concerned with my fasting blood sugar as it can be dawn phenomenon but I've got quite strict targets at the moment.

Thanks this is really helpful. I had read about the Dawn phenomenon. I use to eat dinner about 1930 / 2000 however I read it was better to eat earlier so I now aim for 1830. I will try a low carb snack. How long before bed do you have the snack?

I also think portion size wise my biggest meal is dinner and I don’t think that helps even when low carb. So I know I need to fuel more at times of the day when my body has the chance to use it. Just tend not to be hungry then.

I’ve also starting do a post dinner walk about 4km it helps with the stomach reaction to the pills. I wouldn’t have thought it was enough to offset my sugars though. It’s a stroll!

I am still awaiting my antibody results to confirm exact type too.

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply. Useful to know. Not sure what information would be helpful can you be more specific please

These are my numbers.

Attachments

• 422FAC1E-731B-42F0-84C2-0789648A93B4.png
    422FAC1E-731B-42F0-84C2-0789648A93B4.png
    526.6 KB · Views: 199

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Fabulous People

So lucky to have a forum full of support like this. It has been lovely reading everyone’s threads. I hope to be able to help in the future too.

My name is Claire and I am 36.

I found out this week I’m diabetic; they think T2. Thanks to my genes and lockdown sugar habit we think.

I am trying to get my head round the diet recommendations. I think I read you should aim for a total of 140g carbs? Is this right? If so what % should be protein and fat be?

Trying to get ahead of the game before seeing the dietitian as I don’t know how long that will take.

Downloaded the carbs and cal app as recommended by my nurse today it really is great. Just not clear on what ratios I should be aiming for.

fyi - I am 9lbs over weight, tummy fat is my issue, will start metaformin this week as we are trying for a family so need to sort the sugars out ASAP.

diet wise I have the added challenge of intolerances to all dairy, eggs, yeast, certain nuts and struggle to digest beans!

any hints or tips on how best to approach this all very welcomed.

I have just come across your original post.
And I have lactose intolerance and others that are different to you.
I've been in Keto for most of the time since I got my true diagnosis about eight years ago. I have been lactose intolerant since birth.
I have learned that what food is really healthy for me, May not be healthy for you.
One of the things that has helped me is I cook all my food from fresh. I can't tolerate certain oils and vegetables. Instead of putting up with certain foods, my approach is avoiding all carbs. This keeps me healthy and happy with no symptoms.
I may speculate that your response to food is causing the symptoms and further investigation needed. What meds are you on?
You may still be having too much of certain foods that have hidden carbs and sugar.
Only testing will give you an idea what is going on.
But, I may be completely wrong.

Keep asking, keep safe.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
OK, so when you say your numbers are high overnight then at least judging by what you measure in the morning they aren't terrible. Could be Dawn Phenomenon (in which case a zero carb breakfast or snack or even a coffee with double cream should stop it from rising further.

It could also be in response to your evening meal.
Do you ever test before that meals and then 2hrs after first bite? That would give some idea as to how your body reacts to it.
Your test times seem a little bit all over the place. Regular testing before and after meals helps so you can make good comparisons.

Here are some non food things that affect Blood Glucose ( they do so via your liver dumping glucose it has made into your blood stream:
infection
injury
medication such as statins or steroids.
stress
lack of sleep
exercise - vigorous exercise tends to increase BG, while moderate exercise tend to reduce it. It all depends upon whether the liver is stimulated into dumping glucose into the blood stream in order to 'help' you or not.

Reactions: Riddall

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, so when you say your numbers are high overnight then at least judging by what you measure in the morning they aren't terrible. Could be Dawn Phenomenon (in which case a zero carb breakfast or snack or even a coffee with double cream should stop it from rising further.

It could also be in response to your evening meal.
Do you ever test before that meals and then 2hrs after first bite? That would give some idea as to how your body reacts to it.
Your test times seem a little bit all over the place. Regular testing before and after meals helps so you can make good comparisons.

Here are some non food things that affect Blood Glucose ( they do so via your liver dumping glucose it has made into your blood stream:
infection
injury
medication such as statins or steroids.
stress
lack of sleep
exercise - vigorous exercise tends to increase BG, while moderate exercise tend to reduce it. It all depends upon whether the liver is stimulated into dumping glucose into the blood stream in order to 'help' you or not.

Thanks so much for the advice. I will stick to a low carb breakfast then and see how that works. The low carb snack before bed helped last night. Sugars were better this morning. I have also though gone from running to walking so I think the strain of running may be a factor. I would still like to keep running though. Anyway this is possible?

I currently use a system called Veri it monitors my glucose 24 /7 so can see what meals I respond to well and don’t so that’s been helping massively with narrowing down what my body likes and doesn’t. It was this system that helped me see the night time and early morning peaks. Word of warning though it’s not as accurate as the finger prick tests but gives you a good indicator of ups and downs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently use a system called Veri
Veri uses the Freestyle Libre sensors, which you can also buy directly from the manufacturer, Abbott. The phone app to use it is free. This is how most of us (including the ones who get their sensors funded) use it.

I can't find a price for them on the Veri website but you might be cheaper off if you just buy the sensors.
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

Reactions: Riddall

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Veri uses the Freestyle Libre sensors, which you can also buy directly from the manufacturer, Abbott. The phone app to use it is free. This is how most of us (including the ones who get their sensors funded) use it.

I can't find a price for them on the Veri website but you might be cheaper off if you just buy the sensors.
https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/

Thanks so much for the recommendation . You are right it is cheaper that way. Order placed. Thank you.

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All

I just wanted to give you a massive thank you. In a month I’ve dropped my 3month average significantly (from 11% to 9%) and I’m 80% time spent in acceptable range from current ratings. More work still to do. I could not have done this without the support from this forum. Thank you ☺️❤️

Reactions: Mike d

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi wonderful people I hope 2022 has been good to you so far.

I’ve recently had my three month average reviewed and now have 6.9% versus the 11% I had before. Super happy.

Due to being part of the pre-pregnancy club I need even tighter controls. So now I’m on long acting insulin levemir to bring my morning fasting levels down.

im not sure it agrees with me and im not feeling heard by my nurse.

i previously would have good control before bed my sugars would continue to drop and level off until 3 or 4 am then rise. Now though I take my insulin at 1030pm ish say im at 7 it spikes it up to 8 or 9 immediately and it stays roughly at that level all night until I eat in the morning.

im being told just keep upping my dose.

I feel rubbish abs super tired in the morning as a result of this.

im confused should insulin cause higher readings?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i previously would have good control before bed my sugars would continue to drop and level off until 3 or 4 am then rise. Now though I take my insulin at 1030pm ish say im at 7 it spikes it up to 8 or 9 immediately and it stays roughly at that level all night until I eat in the morning.

im being told just keep upping my dose.
Are you eating the same things as before you started insulin?
It's in no way logical to go higher because of the insulin. can it be your levels are higher because of something else? A change in food or exercise, some infection or virus or such?

Especially because you say you feel rubbish and tired, while 8 to 9 in higher than you want, those are not levels so high they usually make people feel rubbish and tired.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve recently had my three month average reviewed and now have 6.9% versus the 11% I had before. Super happy.

Due to being part of the pre-pregnancy club I need even tighter controls. So now I’m on long acting insulin levemir to bring my morning fasting levels down.

im not sure it agrees with me and im not feeling heard by my nurse.
I'm not understanding why, after such a good reduction in 3 months, why you have been put on insulin.
What are your fasting readings?
Would you prefer another 3 months to see what else you can achieve naturally by diet and exercise ?
Of course, I'm not a doctor but is just seems odd to me

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm not understanding why, after such a good reduction in 3 months, why you have been put on insulin.
Would you prefer another 3 months to see what else you can achieve naturally by diet and exercise ?

My (wild) guess it's because they want her at 6.5% or less when TTC and most of the traditional T2 meds are contraindicated for pregnancy? Plus if they reckon she's going to have GD then it may be better to start on insulin first....

I feel rubbish abs super tired in the morning as a result of this.
No chance you're already pregnant?

Do you know if they've done any tests to see how much insulin you are currently producing? (cpeptide).

Riddall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks yes I would prefer to do that unfortunately this is how they manage diabetics who want to get pregnant as the sugars impact the brain and spine development from day one so I need to be in really tight control. It is what it is and it’s all evidence based so I will comply until after pregnancy then take a more challenging approach to management via other ways.

fasting morning levels are on average 8 or 9 or as high as 10 it’s the main one I struggle with. Others are all dropping.

joyhacks

Hi Fabulous People

So lucky to have a forum full of support like this. It has been lovely reading everyone’s threads. I hope to be able to help in the future too.

I found out this week I’m diabetic; they think T2. Thanks to my genes and lockdown sugar habit we think.

I am trying to get my head round the diet recommendations. I think I read you should aim for a total of 140g carbs? Is this right? If so what % should be protein and fat be?

Trying to get ahead of the game before seeing the dietitian as I don’t know how long that will take.

Downloaded the carbs and cal app as recommended by my nurse today it really is great. Just not clear on what ratios I should be aiming for.

fyi - I am 9lbs over weight, tummy fat is my issue, will start metaformin this week as we are trying for a family so need to sort the sugars out ASAP.

diet wise I have the added challenge of intolerances to all dairy, eggs, yeast, certain nuts and struggle to digest beans!

any hints or tips on how best to approach this all very welcomed.

any hints or tips on how best to approach this all very welcomed.[/QUOTE]

joyhacks

Hi,
So sad to hear that, but such diseases are mostly with our irregular diet and sleep routine and on top when you have stress.
so you have to work on that first.

joyhacks

Hi All

thank you again for all the advice. I’m wondering if you have any words of wisdom for me. I’m finding my night time reading whilst asleep are high and as I stir awake from about 6am. I’m eating low carb, exercising and on two metformin a day. I’m wondering if I need more medicine or adjust further my eating and exercise. My consultant said he is happy with progress reduced my long term average significantly in 3 weeks. Feeling tired so he said to mix up the exercise and have rest days.

I’m also wondering if the couple of nights out I’ve had the past two weekends has had an impact. Small amount of alcohol but still healthy eats mainly. Does this kind of thing stay in your sugars for a couple of days for instance?
Sorry for all the questions. I’m just keen to get into remission ASAP and safely so I can have a baby!

nice

joyhacks

I was diagnosed in September last year I'm 33 and like you was wanting to try for a baby. I managed to lose 3 stone and stuck to around 100g carbs a day. I didn't cut out anything in particular ( apart from coca cola and sweets) but I did reduce my portion sizes and my readings have mostly been in range. I always test before and two hours after a meal ( testing at an hour now due to pregnancy).

I'm pregnant now and due in a months time. Despite the doctors telling me I would eventually need insulin, blood sugars so far have been perfect despite eating more carbs than pre-pregnancy. I take one 500mg tablet of metformin a day which hasn't needed to be increased yet. My last hb1ac a few weeks ago was 31. Was 76 last September.

it always requires motivation and strong well power to fight