"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh @maglil55! I did not mean to imply that your grandson was lacking attention. I'm positive that is not the case. I just thought it might be possible that he perceives it that way. I know I misinterpreted the attention my brother was getting when he caught polio and recovering from it (I thought I was surplus to requirements or something, but didn't misbehave because I thought I might be discarded if I did - my misconception, of course).

What a time you are having with him. He sounds so much like Neil when he was in primary school (actually in secondary as well, but in a different form). Luckily for me, his brother was a much easier child, so it was just Neil I had to cope with (young mother - husband away at sea - grandmother with whom we lived in his early days, determined to side with Neil at every turn). I made mistakes, of course, including falling out with my mother-in-law over it all, and I'm positive I spent too much time with Neil to the detriment of his brother.

Eventually we came to an agreement with Neil - much along the lines of your decisions with your grandson but the schools never did. I had primary teachers crying on my shoulder at parents evenings, teachers at the Nicolson Institute just shrugging their shoulders and letting him get on with it and it was only when he was 48 and had a diagnosis of Asperger's that we understood what it was all about. Luckily, he was intelligent enough to get by at school, despite choosing to teach himself Welsh rather than be taught Gaelic, teaching himself to play instruments, rather than take lessons from anyone, excelling at Latin to a higher level than the rest of the class, and so on. By the end of it he had turned into a caring, helpful, clever and talented individual.

I do hope for the same outcome for your grandson.

Neil did manage to replace the yoghurt with an unbroken one, but the shelves were pretty empty again. Maybe they would be better later in the day.

Edited to add the first paragraph.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Annb I didn't think for one minute you were implying that. Currently, he is trying to control everything and that has to stop. He has to learn that "No" is often for his own protection and if he doesn't listen to the "why" there will be consequences. Things I didn't didn't say about last week was he went marching off in the opposite direction because he wasn't going straight home. I had to stop his brother running after him because that would be liable to make him run and it's on a busy road. He persists in walking along the top of the school wall which is covered in moss, slippy and very high. Little boys climb but he'd do himself a serious injury if he fell from this wall (if not worse). Worst of all he tried to exit the car while I was driving! Child and door locks are all back on and secure. His Mum has told him that he'll be on reins if he persists. So don't be concerned - I'm just glad to get this off my chest.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb I didn't think for one minute you were implying that. Currently, he is trying to control everything and that has to stop. He has to learn that "No" is often for his own protection and if he doesn't listen to the "why" there will be consequences. Things I didn't didn't say about last week was he went marching off in the opposite direction because he wasn't going straight home. I had to stop his brother running after him because that would be liable to make him run and it's on a busy road. He persists in walking along the top of the school wall which is covered in moss, slippy and very high. Little boys climb but he'd do himself a serious injury if he fell from this wall (if not worse). Worst of all he tried to exit the car while I was driving! Child and door locks are all back on and secure. His Mum has told him that he'll be on reins if he persists. So don't be concerned - I'm just glad to get this off my chest.

You should rename him, Neil. The only difference is that Neil never wanted to control anyone else, just not be controlled himself. I'm sure that with the discipline you and his parents are giving him, and with the love you clearly have for him, he will come round in the end - as Neil did. But as my mother-in-law used to say "it's a sair fecht" sometimes.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should rename him, Neil. The only difference is that Neil never wanted to control anyone else, just not be controlled himself. I'm sure that with the discipline you and his parents are giving him, and with the love you clearly have for him, he will come round in the end - as Neil did. But as my mother-in-law used to say "it's a sair fecht" sometimes.
Isn't that a fact!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
His Mum has told him that he'll be on reins if he persists.
I have a lunging rein in the shed you can have, it's not to badly chewed on by our old dog, got a couple of leg ropes there as well.

That will slow the best down. :playful:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The last time I tried Neil on a rein was when he was about two and a half - just before his brother was born. He hated it and refused to walk, which made it very hard work getting along the road or doing the shopping. Then one day, we got him moving forward but he then lifted his feet off the ground and swung in an arc, smashing his head into a lamp post. A great rush to the local doctor (an ex army man) who decided to stitch him up with no anaesthetic (he said the injections needed would be every bit as bad as the stitching). He did a good job, so it was pretty quick but it hurt! Didn't teach Neil any kind of lesson. The reins disappeared very rapidly because he'd found a new game - swinging through the air on the reins. It was back into the buggy for Neil, whether he objected or not.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a lunging rein in the shed you can have, it's not to badly chewed on by our old dog, got a couple of leg ropes there as well.

That will slow the best down. :playful:
Son and his family have a Leonberger. He goes outvon a harness & leash. He wouldn't escape from that either! He's a gorgeous boy (and a big softy as well!)
FB_IMG_1633460544042.jpg

Reactions: Goonergal and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I gather that DIL's new St Bernard is now pregnant! On advice from the vet, she is allowed to have one litter to calm down her puppiness and then she will be spayed. Banksie seems to risen to the occasion. The older female, Bella, was spayed before she came to their house - her owner was intending to have her put down due to some behavioural issues that she couldn't cope with, so poor Bella was kept in a cage all the time. Not sure if she had been allowed a litter before spaying. But she is a very calm dog - a golden lab (I think) but is beginning to show her age now. Ginnie, the new dog, is less than a year old but obviously ready to be a mother.

Wonder what a cross between a St Bernard and a 1/4 alsatian:3/4 newfoundland will look like. Pretty sure Em will want to keep whatever pups are produced but her Dad says "No way". Apparently, there have already been enquiries from people wanting the pups.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty sure Em will want to keep whatever pups are produced but her Dad says "No way".
This leaves her about two months plus eight weeks to convince her dad that those poor diabetic friends of her grandma on the forum really need weekly picture updates of the puppy for the next two years.
All for our health of course!

I'm 100% with Em on this one!

Reactions: MrsA2

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder what a cross between a St Bernard and a 1/4 alsatian:3/4 newfoundland will look like
BIG! And hairy!
We have looked after a Leonburger once. So big she couldn't turn round in the hallway and had to walk backwards after greeting anyone at the door. Nice nature though

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BIG! And hairy!
We have looked after a Leonburger once. So big she couldn't turn round in the hallway and had to walk backwards after greeting anyone at the door. Nice nature though

I'd never seen a Leonburger, or heard of it. But I looked it up on the internet and saw that it is almost exactly that cross - apart from the Alsatian instead of the even bigger Pyrenean mountain dog. Pretty sure it/they will be pretty hairy though, and probably pretty big. No way there would be space for yet another big dog in their small house. At the moment, all three dogs spend their nights underneath Son and DIL's bed platform (or on the bed, if they can get away with it).

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No way there would be space for yet another big dog in their small house. At the moment, all three dogs spend their nights underneath Son and DIL's bed platform (or on the bed, if they can get away with it).
This means there's space left on the beds, so it'll fit without issue.
Besides, the pup will grow slowly, giving everyone time to gradually get used to the room it takes up.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd never seen a Leonburger, or heard of it. But I looked it up on the internet and saw that it is almost exactly that cross - apart from the Alsatian instead of the even bigger Pyrenean mountain dog. Pretty sure it/they will be pretty hairy though, and probably pretty big. No way there would be space for yet another big dog in their small house. At the moment, all three dogs spend their nights underneath Son and DIL's bed platform (or on the bed, if they can get away with it).
He's very big and very hairy. You could put a saddle on him and use him as a pony for a child. A nicer natured dog would be difficult to find.

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This means there's space left on the beds, so it'll fit without issue.
Besides, the pup will grow slowly, giving everyone time to gradually get used to the room it takes up.

Not quite. Being the good natured soul that he is, No 2 son sometimes finds one or more dog in his space on the bed, and himself having to get up and sleep on the couch! Almost inevitably so if he has to get up for any reason. Then there's no point in trying to push dogs out of his sleeping space because it would wake up DIL. Talk about the dogs being big softees...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No 2 son sometimes finds one or more dog in his space on the bed, and himself having to get up and sleep on the couch!
I can relate...
Although I suppose it's easier to move multiple small dogs around than one big one...
(Picture from two years ago, when my old dog, the larger one on the right, was still alive.)
But as you can see I'm a firm believer in the there's always room for one more dog philosophy! :happy:

68273837_10218248172350071_5946847190176497664_n.jpg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 So ... I have got just under 800 points I think - how does it work? - do I have to wait until I have 1000 points and would that let me have £1/£10 discount or what discount? xx

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 So ... I have got just under 800 points I think - how does it work? - do I have to wait until I have 1000 points and would that let me have £1/£10 discount or what discount? xx
Hiya you can claim 1 pound off for each 100 points - you should be able to claim a discount code when you cash your brownie points on so you should have 7 quid from 700 points. I go into my brownie bank to see what I’ve earns and then claim they email a code to apply to order. Hope this helps.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya you can claim 1 pound off for each 100 points - you should be able to claim a discount code when you cash your brownie points on so you should have 7 quid from 700 points. I go into my brownie bank to see what I’ve earns and then claim they email a code to apply to order. Hope this helps.
Cheers - do I have to email them to request the voucher or do they automatically send it out at say 500 points or whatever? and do you know how long the voucher is valid for? xx

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers - do I have to email them to request the voucher or do they automatically send it out at say 500 points or whatever? and do you know how long the voucher is valid for? xx
You need to sign into your account and then click on the star - which will take you to your brownie bank it will show you your options to claim and then send you a code to redeem. If you can’t get in message the team at DGF and ask them for help. I find the star to get into my brownie bank only appears on my phone not my tablet! It’s a bit fiddly but once you’ve done it and know what to do it’s fine.
I tend to redeem just before I make an order but think would be valid until used I’d guess