Worried about eyesight

Mark-optimistic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Unfortunately I missed my annual eye checkup about 6 weeks ago and I have one booked in 4 weeks.

My issue is that my vision has become quite blurry at times. I get very bloodshot eyes and have a horrible pressure like feeling in them.

Do you know if there's a way to be seen earlier or to get some help in regards to it.

My sugars haven't been the best as I've been under intense stress with other illness complications and worries.

Thanks.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
You could go to a high street optician???? They can do tests that are not part of a diabetic retinopathy review. I hope all is well and that you can be less anxious.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm T2, so your mileage may vary, but the blurry vision you get from high sugars was very reversible in my case. I thought I needed glasses before diagnosis because I was getting seriously fuzzy vision. Once I got my sugars down to a decent level, my sight came back about as sharp as ever. What I'm basically saying, is good luck and don't worry: I think you should probably be able to sort this.

Reactions: suk

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Mark-optimistic As Geordie has said if you're running high then your vision will be affected, I know mine is affected when I go into double digits, combined with the stress then this could be contributing to this feeling of pressure too. A trip to Specsavers will put your mind at rest as they can do a health check so it's worthwhile getting one of these until you can have your retinopathy test. Good luck, hope it's nothing to worry about.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a scan (I can't remember what it was called but basically is quite thorough and would flag up anything) done at Specsavers - cost around £10 I think and imo well worth it for peace of mind.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got a scan (I can't remember what it was called but basically is quite thorough and would flag up anything) done at Specsavers - cost around £10 I think and imo well worth it for peace of mind.
OCT scan - optical coherence tomography.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
IF you did get the free test at the High St ask for the diabetic one as they will take a more detailed picture and be able to give you an immediate idea if you have any background retinopathy or actual bleeds. The hospital technicians just take the photos prior to an expert looking at them which isn't to say you should skip that next appointment.
I have had retinopathy and also have the same symptoms when high or rollercoaster that you and Geordie report. The latter doesn't mean you have long lasting damage right now but over the longer term you are gong to need to sort out your bgs. Easier said than done I know.