What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 7.5 FBG 7.8. Eyes today! No diabetic change and glaucoma stable but what were previously a "hint of cataracts" has become worse apparently. Another letter to the Eye Pavilion where I already have an appointment at the end of the month. I was also told the waiting list for surgery is horrendous. Not that I am ecstatic by the thought of surgery on my eyes. Anyone had cataracts done?

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast - one with whipped cheese, 1 with egg.
L. A couple of M&S crackers with whipped cheese
D. Zoodle carbonara.

Still drinking loads of water which seems to be helping me. Now I have a wait to 22 Oct to collect a new pair of distance specs as it seems my near sight hasn't changed. Existing varifocals are fine for reading but new single lens for driving/TV. Ever felt it never rains but it pours? How true that's been weather wise too!
My mum had both cataracts done six months apart and said it was nowhere near as bad as you think it will be - she said she would not be scared/worried if she had to get it done again - so not as bad as it sounds - she said you don't feel pain just maybe a bit of pressure as your eyes are numbed and she didn't have any pain after it just felt a bit gritty/uncomfortable and she had to apply drops daily for a wee while xx

I meant to say also that she said they put lots of drops in her eyes before it and she thought may be some had a calming effect as she didn't feel nervous at all during the procedure and she is a big feardy and she said they even spoke to her to distract her and a lovely nurse held her hand - so try not to stress too much over it xx

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have time to post much these days as I am back in the wonderful world of work (day off today) :) So... food ... :hungry:

Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted and filled with butter and corned beef. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner (out) - Toby Carvery - pork, turkey, roast beef & gammon with a little carrot, peas, green beans and cauliflower cheese and I was very good today and didn't have small spoonful of hubby's ice cream like I usually do.:happy:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do DGF have a rewards system? Has anyone tried the autumn latte cakes they have? - do they taste a lot like coffee? - as I don't like coffee and they are putting me off from purchasing the mixed autumn box - I do fancy the rest of them AND I am now well and truly over my cream addiction - it has been weeks now since I ditched it and don't crave it anymore at all.
Yes they do It’s quite generous I find but you need to sign up for it at beginning you can use it as a cashback off your order or for free delivery but I tend to bulk order and freeze as they do free delivery over 35 pounds. I had a reward of 10 built up over a couple of previous orders. Sorry but it is coffee flavoured we love coffee but can see it wouldn’t work if don’t like coffee. Does anyone else in household like coffee? My new boxes arriving tomorrow yay and can’t wait to try the crumble ones . Well done on the cream ditching

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes they do It’s quite generous I find but you need to sign up for it at beginning you can use it as a cashback off your order or for free delivery but I tend to bulk order and freeze as they do free delivery over 35 pounds. I had a reward of 10 built up over a couple of previous orders. Sorry but it is coffee flavoured we love coffee but can see it wouldn’t work if don’t like coffee. Does anyone else in household like coffee? My new boxes arriving tomorrow yay and can’t wait to try the crumble ones . Well done on the cream ditching
Thanks for that Mrs - yeah I did think I could may be give the coffee cakes to someone else in the house as the others look good but the crumble ones would defo need cream - I am going to drop them an e-mail about the rewards system as I order from them most weeks - I thought they might have mentioned it to me as they are quite pricey but good

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed to get hold of some of the very low carb super seed crackers from M and S in nearby town - got excited and planned to buy a lot but date very short so only bought two! Shame as they are seriously lovely and only 4g carb for whole box of think around 22 crackers at 0.18 per cracker if my maths is right! Unfortunately should have bought more despite short date as OH also likes them!
Breakfast just coffee and lactofree milk
Lunch eggs scrambled with butter and one slice of HM LC bread followed by a few garden berries and yoghurt
Mid pm small amount of 100% buttons
Pre dinner two m and s crackers to try with glass of soda water and dash of dry white wine then venison wrapped in Parma ham served with cauliflower cheese followed by DGF cake.
@Mrs T 123 good to see you hope enjoying your new busy job.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that Mrs - yeah I did think I could may be give the coffee cakes to someone else in the house as the others look good but the crumble ones would defo need cream - I am going to drop them an e-mail about the rewards system as I order from them most weeks - I thought they might have mentioned it to me as they are quite pricey but good
Good idea to get in touch about rewards they are usually very helpful. It’s called brownie points I find it only easy to access from my phone rather than tablet for some reason but do ask you may have earns some you are not aware of says she crossing fingers for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrs T 123

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon and eggs.
Lunch: a cheese sandwich with wholemeal bread - an experiment. After a dose of insulin, it didn't have much effect. Didn't stop me being hungry by 6 pm though.
Evening: some more of the tomato soup.

Em was here after school and wanted me to take her to the local shop to refill my "goodies drawer", which she has worked her way through since our last foray to the shop. It's empty now. But I can't walk right now, so couldn't take her. This was her last day at school before the October holiday but she was wishing they could just keep going during the holiday. Probably shan't see her much for the next 2 weeks.

Felt really poorly again about 8 pm so went to bed for a short time about 8.30 and had a short sleep but was quite uncomfortable about 9.30 and got up again. Hungry now - probably my stomach thinks that, after a sleep, it's breakfast time. But BG is 11.7, so food is a bad idea.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon and a two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Just a drink of cordial and the osmolax mix for smoko.
Roast chicken legs, green veggies, gravy, sugar free green jelly for lunch.
Cheese on toast for supper at six.

@maglil55 I forgot to mention that the following the cataract surgery you will find it very bright in that eye. I It took a long time for me to get used to the brightness especially after having both eyes done.

Edit: Fixed tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hardly a breakfast, very small piece of cheddar and 6 nuts as I tried walking to yoga in the next village but had to turn back and get the car as the flood was too deep to walk through.
L: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 slice courgette bread, sprinkle of wensleydale cheese. A few raspberries, keep thinking these are the last in the garden but everytime is go out there's about 10 more.
Major supermarket shop - aren't prices rising a lot?
Dance class
Dinner, if you can call it that , was 2 Heck paprika chipolatas to try. Won't bother again, very odd texture and tasted very processed.
Trying to figure out how I’ve not been hungry today then realised I've had 2 coffees with cream and a lc got chocolate with cream to keep me warm. Also seems to be keeping me full.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We got some Spanish made Gullon sugar free dark chocolate digestive biscuits in our weekly shop that has just been delivered.

They have the same amount of carbs as McVities dark chocolate digestives have, not as many in the Bullon packet though and they cost more.

To my way of thinking I can eat four of these against two MacVities biscuits without ringing the bell.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/770802/gullon-sugar-free-digestives-chocolate

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/305370/mcvitie-s-digestives-biscuit-dark-chocolate

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: same as yesterday - fried eggs on toast - still experimenting to see if the effect is the same as yesterday. Started off from a higher point though - 15.9 this morning after a really, really bad night. Came down by 2.5 points to 13.5 after 2 hours. Currently back up to 14.9 for no apparent reason. Except the awful night.

Lunch: will be tomato soup - it's actually more a tomato and red pepper soup, but it's fine.

Later: will probably have some berries and yoghurt.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had both of my eyes done several years back, they were done one at a time over a couple of months.

The prepping for the procedure takes a while I had my eyes tested for the correct IOL previously, Kept most of my clothes on except for my shirt and boots a hospital gown put on and bootees. There will be plenty of eye drops both to dilate the eye and local anaesthetic put in.

They put a canula in my arm for the anaesthetist to give me dose of happy juice if I got fidgetty in the pre / podtop area while the operation was being done. I am not sure how long the procedure took though as I cant remember off hand.

After it was finished, back into the pre / post area for a while then back to main area again, coffee and sandwiches were to eat drink. I was probably at the day surgery unit about five to six hours all told.

I was given two bottles of eye drops, one was antibiotics and the other was for something or other I cant remember what tho'.

The only thing painful about it was the bill.to take home
Thanks for that. I doubt I'll need to bother any time soon. One of our crossing men already has clouding in one eye and he's been on the list 2 years already. Reassures me a bit though.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local M & S had none of the crackers either :banghead:

The DGF cookies are a good size and I love them especially with a cuppa - they melt in your mouth just like real cookies ;)
The crackers were all in with a new selection. I'll photograph them tomorrow as I'm going back to the new large food store at Straiton.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no DGF put special offer on - boxes of the crumble plus one free box of choc brownies with two boxes !Well I will have to rejig my freezer to make room for my order this weekend!it takes a few days to arrive so time to clear out!
Breakfast two boiled eggs and slice of lc bread
Lunch four of my LC M and S seed crackers (I’d recommend if you find them) with cheese followed by a few raspberries from garden and yoghurt
Mid pm millionaire shortbread from DGF
Dinner sea bass with lemon butter and cauliflower cheese followed by Lc choc brownie

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke hungry, no surprise after a minimal dinner last night,, so 2 eggs scrambled with 2 of the remaining paprika chicken chipolatas. The latter are definitely an odd, manufactured texture.
Was very good at a charity coffee morning, 2 cups of decaf and had take 2 small pieces of my homemade rhubarb cake to eat if temptation got too much. Well, the interest when I produced them was huge. 6 people tried bites and were pleasantly surprised.
Meant I came home empty though!
Lunch was the final 2 chipolatas (1.4 g carbs) wrapped in sliced cheese with 2 cherry tomatoes and a piece of cucumber and a spoonful of hummus.
Lc hot choclate mid afternoon
This evening hubby has done on of his learning cook alongs on line and produced a very tasty chicken curry. I've skipped the rice, but am having a a glass of wine. It is Friday after all!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps, if any spots the M&S crackers anywhere in the South East, can they please post where?
I'm down to my last packet.
They do seem on short dates but I'm already a month over on the packet opened today and it seems fine

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 6.8 FBG 7.6. Another chaotic day thanks to youngest grandson.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with M&S whipped cheese and these mini German sausage slices.
L. 2 M&S cheesy crackers with the last of the whipped cheese.
D. A lo dough pizza with tomato, salami, mushrooms and mozzarella. Made the mistake of having one of the mini bars of dark raspberry chocolate which upset my tum again.

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bacon and a two egg and cheese omelette, mushrooms, low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Just a drink of cordial and the osmolax mix for smoko.
Roast chicken legs, green veggies, gravy, sugar free green jelly for lunch.
Cheese on toast for supper at six.

@maglil55 I forgot to mention that the following the cataract surgery you will find it very bright in that eye. I It took a long time for me to get used to the brightness especially after having both eyes done.

Edit: Fixed tag.
Sounds like I'll need reactive lens in my specs. Optician told me to leave my mixed specs purchase until after eyes are done and settled.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: coffee shop coconut cappuccino and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Dinner: salmon and cream cheese sandwiches made with LC bread and coleslaw followed by SF orange jelly, cream and LC nutty granola.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that. I doubt I'll need to bother any time soon. One of our crossing men already has clouding in one eye and he's been on the list 2 years already. Reassures me a bit though.
It takes a while before they get really bad before they remove them as well, If I remember right it was close to three years from when I was first diagnosed with them in the public system.

My optometrist sent them my eye test results every six months over couple of years, and I ended up being done in Bundaberg instead of going to Brisbane. So got them done by one of the private ophthalmologists here at the Mater hospital day surgery unit paid for by Queensland Health.