Type 2 new diagnosis: confused??

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much, my passion is cooking, ihave all those preconceived ideas that you mentioned regarding healthy eating. I think a bit (lot) of re-education is in hand for me. Do you reccomend a glucose monitor for type 2? If so, I'll order one now, any recommendations for a decent one? Thanks again, lots to take in but the advice and support has just been amazing.
If you like cooking then going low carb will be much easier. I eat meat (includes fish), eggs and dairy, and some veg. Amazing what you can do with that. There's several sorts of low-carb "bread" - around 3g/roll. Usually expensive but can be a decent compromise.

I got a cheap Gluco RX two years back which I think is probably obsolete. Only ever used that so can't really advise. The thing to watch out for is the price of the testing strips rater than the monitor itself. The post above by Rachox gives you a better idea of what's around.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's cool! I love Alice Cooper! I have started to make old British Railway signs, I'm not a train spotter or anything like, I just love the nostalgic element to it. I'll post some pics when I get brave enough, haha.
We're pretty into Alice here too. :) Curious to see the signs you're making, I'd love to see some. But when you're good and ready. :)

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Thanks, I'll take some photos later. looks like I'll be making many more over the coming months etc

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I'll take some photos later. looks like I'll be making many more over the coming months etc
Probably. ;) And you wouldn't go wrong with one of the meters @Rachox mentioned a few posts back. It's the strips that are the main expense, so best to get a meter with affordable ones. The first year I tested, I spent exactly a thousand euro's on strips. I didn't know how to measure effectively until i came on here, so I measured all the time. ;) Just test before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite, you're looking for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l. If it's that or under, it's a meal worth repeating. And yeah.. It's all a lot easier to sort out if you have a meter to log your progress, and tell you what works for you and what doesn't. ;).

Reactions: Rachox

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the only cookbook that I recommend. Got a hard copy which is out on loan, just discovered I can read the kindle version, whoopee;

The Diabetes Weight-Loss Cookbook: A life-changing diet to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes

It is not about the weightloss, the food looks incredible

Reactions: Eddie65

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have just described me to a tee
Like with anything else, deep down we all know when we're overdoing it.
I joke about the booze, but I am conscious of it, and aware that too much is no good.
But, I have cut out a lot of food I used to enjoy (carby stuff), so a glass or two is my treat.
I actually broke my 'fast' for one evening a couple of weeks ago whan I went to see Genesis in Manchester.
My brother's treat to me for my 60th. He bought me a bottle of Merlot. Plastic bottle, plastic glass, £23!!!
I may well have drunk it all over the 3 hours but he selfishly demanded a glass himself and the bloke next door knocked my arm so another glass-full weny over my cream-coloured trousers! So actually had about 3/5 of a bottle.
But not a drop befor or since.

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Like with anything else, deep down we all know when we're overdoing it.
I joke about the booze, but I am conscious of it, and aware that too much is no good.
But, I have cut out a lot of food I used to enjoy (carby stuff), so a glass or two is my treat.
I actually broke my 'fast' for one evening a couple of weeks ago whan I went to see Genesis in Manchester.
My brother's treat to me for my 60th. He bought me a bottle of Merlot. Plastic bottle, plastic glass, £23!!!
I may well have drunk it all over the 3 hours but he selfishly demanded a glass himself and the bloke next door knocked my arm so another glass-full weny over my cream-coloured trousers! So actually had about 3/5 of a bottle.
But not a drop befor or since.
You are quite right, we joke but, many a true word said in jest! I definitely over do it, and definitely need to reel it in! Love Genesis by the way, my wife and I watched a few of their concerts a couple of weeks ago on YouTube (our way of having a covid night out ).

Reactions: Jo_the_boat

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
This is the only cookbook that I recommend. Got a hard copy which is out on loan, just discovered I can read the kindle version, whoopee;

The Diabetes Weight-Loss Cookbook: A life-changing diet to prevent and reverse type 2 diabetes

It is not about the weightloss, the food looks incredible
Thank you, I'll get on that one today, is the kindle edition as good as the hard copy? Cheers

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Thank you, I'll get on that one today, is the kindle edition as good as the hard copy? Cheers
Screenshot_20211008-084754_Amazon Shopping.jpg

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, although I enjoy holding a real book.

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
Hi, newly to the whole diabetes thing. Looking for some advice and help. I was told that I was prediabetic 12 months ago. Nothing much was made of it all, two weeks ago I was told that I am now at the low end of T2 diabetes and needed a further, fasting test which I had this week. My Hba1c level was 54 mmol/mol. The receptionist was really kind and helpful but couldn't tell me or confirm a diagnosis of T2 diabetes! I was told that a nurse would ring and chat about the result and how we go forward! Getting a GP to chat to is harder than getting an audience with the Pope these days, as a result, I still haven't been told that I now have T2. Any advice would be fantastic, I'm not looking for anyone to diagnose me, I would just appreciate comparisons in order for me to make my own conclusions. Thanks in advance, and big hello to everyone from me

Best advice I can give is (not medical of course):

1. Stop eating sugar and all ultra processed foods and ditch or massively reduce alcohol - if you drink.
2. Adopt a Keto/very low carb/high fat lifestyle (not diet - LIFESTYLE)
3. Start lifting weights - Get yourself down to the gym and get into a resistance training programme. 3 days per week minimum.
4. If you are on meds, work with the above protocols and your Dr to reduce and hopefully eventually eliminate them.
5. Dedication and consistency will put T2D into "remission" as they call it and can eventually be "reversed".
6. Test blood glucose when you wake up, before each meal and 2 hours after a meal. Keep records.
7. Focus on getting strong and lean. You will not regret it.
8. Don't let anyone tell you T2D is non reversible. It is.

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Best advice I can give is (not medical of course):

1. Stop eating sugar and all ultra processed foods and ditch or massively reduce alcohol - if you drink.
2. Adopt a Keto/very low carb/high fat lifestyle (not diet - LIFESTYLE)
3. Start lifting weights - Get yourself down to the gym and get into a resistance training programme. 3 days per week minimum.
4. If you are on meds, work with the above protocols and your Dr to reduce and hopefully eventually eliminate them.
5. Dedication and consistency will put T2D into "remission" as they call it and can eventually be "reversed".
6. Test blood glucose when you wake up, before each meal and 2 hours after a meal. Keep records.
7. Focus on getting strong and lean. You will not regret it.
8. Don't let anyone tell you T2D is non reversible. It is.

Brilliant, great advice, cheers for that! I'm on it, big life changes ahead but I am determined to get into it. :)
Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: HigherStrength