Magnum Almond ice cream bar.

fendertele

Tonight woke up hungry and thirsty and had nothing in to eat....

Checked freezer and there was one of these magnum bars in there.... have been strictly LCHF for months now and have avoided anything with sugar opting for sweeteners if need be.

Decided to see how I would react....

tested 5.4 pre magnum.

Then ate the magnum and 1/2 litre of coke zero... watched a tv show.

Tested hour later was 6.2 :)

Tested another hour later was down to 5.7.

So can I take this as a good sign that im now able to handle some carbs/sugar ?

Type 2 diagnosed back in February.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight woke up hungry and thirsty and had nothing in to eat....

Checked freezer and there was one of these magnum bars in there.... have been strictly LCHF for months now and have avoided anything with sugar opting for sweeteners if need be.

Decided to see how I would react....

tested 5.4 pre magnum.

Then ate the magnum and 1/2 litre of coke zero... watched a tv show.

Tested hour later was 6.2 :)

Tested another hour later was down to 5.7.

So can I take this as a good sign that im now able to handle some carbs/sugar ?

Type 2 diagnosed back in February.
Those are good results and my feeling would be maybe. It’s a one off result and whether it is repeatable and sustainable long term is a different issue

I’ve carb loaded before and has similar results, repeat later and I have bloods in the 12s. There sometimes feels a lot of chaos in the impact, probably a butterfly flapped it’s wings at me

It could well be an improvement, hope it is for you, but I’d be wary

the one thing I find also is once you start creeping carbs in, especially “sweet” ones then the risk is you keep increasing

fendertele

Just tested again now in case there is a delayed increase due to high fat content and tested at 5.6. So I'm thinking the chances of it spiking now are slim to none ? with the gradual decrease since the initial increase up to 6.2.

Yeah ill still be strictly LCHF but it's nice to see I can maybe treat myself from time to time or maybe carb load pre workout for strength.

Reactions: Antje77

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Fendertele.

May I please borrow your sympathetic meter?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Mind tou the Magnum bar though quite carby is only 30 odd grams of carbs per bar I know for some that may be a days allowance but for others it might easily be accomodated within their daily allowance without having a huge effect you may be one of those lucky few who can tollerate a few more carbs than most.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Those are good results and my feeling would be maybe. It’s a one off result and whether it is repeatable and sustainable long term is a different issue

I’ve carb loaded before and has similar results, repeat later and I have bloods in the 12s. There sometimes feels a lot of chaos in the impact, probably a butterfly flapped it’s wings at me

It could well be an improvement, hope it is for you, but I’d be wary

the one thing I find also is once you start creeping carbs in, especially “sweet” ones then the risk is you keep increasing
ABSOLUTELY agree with you @Andydragon ... I can now have no sugar muesli (just two tablespoons) as long as I add two dessertspoons of chia and pumpkin seeds to it and get no rise, but today I tried with only one spoon of the seed mix and went up a little higher than usual, so won't do that again! I was 5.3 before eating and 6.5 two hours later. I know that's still in range but normally I'd still be between 5.3 and 5.5. I know my limits x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just tested again now in case there is a delayed increase due to high fat content and tested at 5.6. So I'm thinking the chances of it spiking now are slim to none ? with the gradual decrease since the initial increase up to 6.2.

Yeah ill still be strictly LCHF but it's nice to see I can maybe treat myself from time to time or maybe carb load pre workout for strength.
As long as your body doesnt relate stressful workouts with Carbs. I know it sounds whacky but I'm a great believer in the body has a memory of its synchronisation. Cells are cleverer then you think.
I had to hv IVF so my body could remember how to get pregnant for example. Many others too. The body is delicate.
Are you trying to gain weight? Muscle mass weight?

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Woke. Censorship. Climate cult loons. and so on.
Personally, I would avoid any ultra processed foods for so many reasons.

Reactions: MrsA2 and coby
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree with you for the most part @HigherStrength but some days a little prop up can help. Certainly when we are first starting out on this new journey to better health
Depends on what results are required I guess. Prop ups can be dark choc, 85% or a plethora of low carb/keto/lchf treats and deserts that we can make quickly and easily at home. But Magnum...I would even tell a non-diabetic to ditch that. Better off hitting pure glucose for a hypo.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Depends on what results are required I guess. Prop ups can be dark choc, 85% or a plethora of low carb/keto/lchf treats and deserts that we can make quickly and easily at home. But Magnum...I would even tell a non-diabetic to ditch that. Better off hitting pure glucose for a hypo.
I'm your Lindt 90% and assorted nuts gal :D

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, dear, I've been watching too many Tom Selleck TV programs recently! I saw the title of this thread, and ... !!!! :D

I like Breyer's Carb Smart ice cream bars, 85% Lindt dark chocolate by itself or melted with peanut butter and pecans/walnuts.

Reactions: coby
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm your Lindt 90% and assorted nuts gal :D
I'm Al
Mind tou the Magnum bar though quite carby is only 30 odd grams of carbs per bar I know for some that may be a days allowance but for others it might easily be accomodated within their daily allowance without having a huge effect you may be one of those lucky few who can tollerate a few more carbs than most.

Carbs yes. Quality? No. Overall health is most definitely impacted by eating ultra processed food. If people focused on quality of foods rather than simply counting carbs and macros, things would work out very differently.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m afraid I’m far less motivated than the good people above, as long as you keep testing and keep getting same result without weight gain…. Fill your boots!

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Do you have actual evidence that processed food does any harm?
Here are Magnum vanilla ingredients:

Reconstituted skimmed MILK, sugar, cream (MILK) (17%), glucose-fructose syrup, cocoa butter¹, skimmed MILK powder or concentrate, cocoa mass¹, whole MILK powder, butter oil (MILK), glucose syrup, emulsifiers (E471, SOY lecithin, E476), stabilisers (E410, E412, E407), exhausted vanilla bean pieces, flavourings (with MILK), colour (E160a). May contain: almond and hazelnut. Gluten free. ¹Rainforest Alliance Certified™

(Mod edit to align with forum rules.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else want to know what the vanilla beans have been up to?

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Does anyone else want to know what the vanilla beans have been up to?
/

150 press ups?

Just looked it up....basically reused vanilla - to keep things cheap..and nasty.

Exhausted Vanilla Seeds are used extensively in the food industry. The Seeds in their virgin state are known as caviar but are extremely expensive to buy particularly at the moment in this highly volatile vanilla market as it is today.

These Exhausted Vanilla seeds are seeds from pods which have been previously used in the production of Vanilla Extract.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everybody,

Posts have been deleted as they breach the ethos rules. Please be on-topic, polite and tolerant of other's choices.
Further Mod intervention could lead to thread bans, warnings or other sanctions.

Where you see a post that offends, please by all means report it.

Thank you.

Jaylee, (on behalf of the moderator team.)