Illness and spikes

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am only a recently diagnosed type 1. Last 18 months. Last couple of days I have felt shocking, confirmed tonight that I have tonsillitis. No matter how little carbs I eat my usual ratio of insulin isn’t touching me and I am high teens constantly. I thought this could have had something to do with recently switching from novorapid to triasp, however I have switched back and it’s still the same. It’s the first time I’ve really been poorly since diagnosis but I hate my numbers being so high. Or is it nothing to do with this and I need more insulin. TIA

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only a recently diagnosed type 1. Last 18 months. Last couple of days I have felt shocking, confirmed tonight that I have tonsillitis. No matter how little carbs I eat my usual ratio of insulin isn’t touching me and I am high teens constantly. I thought this could have had something to do with recently switching from novorapid to triasp, however I have switched back and it’s still the same. It’s the first time I’ve really been poorly since diagnosis but I hate my numbers being so high. Or is it nothing to do with this and I need more insulin. TIA
Please contact your diabetes team on sick day rules.
Most of us need more insulin when ill.

How high are you going?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you check for ketones?
Being in the high teens constantly is danger zone, and DKA has a tendency to develop quicker when ill.

If you have a tummy ache or nausea, please contact your team now, or call 111 for advice.

Starstruck111

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My ketones are all fine. They aren’t sky high just mid to late teens but aren’t going down. My fasting sugars have been in the teens too. I will ring my team tomorrow morning. Thanks guys

Reactions: Antje77

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've really struggled with my blood sugars since catching Covid. My sugars are constantly 15-22 mmols. I've done everything from constantly contacting the diabetes team. Changing my insulins. Reducing my carbs down and reducing my alcohol intake.
More concerned about my long covid symptoms. Been off work since April unable to walk anywhere. 37 years old and ready for the scrap heap lol

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've done everything from constantly contacting the diabetes team. Changing my insulins. Reducing my carbs down and reducing my alcohol intake.

What happens if you just apply sick day rules to your levels? Logically, they should go down if you take enough insulin???
And I'm guessing you've already tried this so my apologies for suggesting the obvious. Lots of virtual hugs.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I've tried it in the past. I've recently started new insulins so haven't done the sick day rules as of yet. Want to see how new insulin affects me. Never had control over my diabetes in 10 years. Just trying hard but won't beat myself up anymore when it's high. Got used to it.