BYETTA

soosie57

Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Hi there. Newbie here. I'm type 2 on insulin and have been asked to take part in a trial using Byetta alongside insulin. I'm insulin resistant and giving massive doses of insulin trying to keep my blood sugars 'normal'. I've been told the worst side effect is nausea. It can also cause inflammation of the pancreas and cause problems in people who have/have had gall stones.
My weight has gone up by 3 stone in the last 3 years and I'm desperate to try something different.
I haven't totally made my mind up what to do yet, but if anyone knows of any other route....bar shooting myself....please let me know :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Hi Soosie,
There's a lot of scare stories being put round by the press at the moment and one of these is that people on Byetta are more likely to suffer pancreatitis. This is simply not true. There have been 30 cases of pancreatitis out of 700,000 Byetta patients, a ratio of one in 23,000. This just happens to be the same ration of pancreatitis found in type-2 patients who are not on Byetta.

However, and its a big however, 27 of that 30 had other problems such as gallstones and alcohol abuse that made them more susceptible to pancreatitis and would have got it anyway. So if you then look at the 3 out of 700,000, this shows that people on Byetta are far LESS likely to suffer pancreatitis.

Just shows that you can prove anything with statistics if you put the right spin on it.

ians1

I would go for it Soosi, the weight loss alone makes it worth while, I know myself what a pain that can be having packed in smoking. My wife lost 2 1/2 stone over 9 months on Byetta 5ug x2 daily. She eats a virtually normal diet apart from watching for excessive sugars in certain foods. Her average bm has dropped from 22 to 7 mmol/l

:)

ians1

it can take a while to get the nausea under control, my wife found a couple of Crackerbread (buttered) straight after the injection was just right, then eat proper meal 4-6 hours later. Normal tea/coffee/fluids. Also she spaces hers 6 hours apart then 18 hours (according to the PIL thats OK) gives a window of about 4-6 hours with less nausea and less tiredness.

ian

daisyhoney123

HI THERE I'VE BEEN ON BYETTA FOR 5 MONTHS AND IT'S THE BEST THING I'VE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF. YES YOU FEEL LIKE **** FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS AFTER YOU FIRST START AND THEN AGAIN WHEN TOU GO UP TO THE 10MG BUT PERSERVERE, I WAS ON LOTS OF PILLS AND THEY JUST WEREN'T WORKING ANYMORE AND THERE WAS TALK OF ME GOING ON TO INSULIN. I REALLY DIDN'T WANT THAT AND JUMPED AT THE CHANCE TO TRY BYETTA EVEN THOUGH I'M TERRIFIED OF NEEDLES. BUT MY SUGAR LEVELS ARE NOW NORMAL I TAKE NOTHING ELSE BUT THE BYETTA AND I'VE ALSO LOST 3 AND A HALF STONE SINCE I'VE BEEN ON IT. IT TAKES YOUR APPETITE AWAY YOU EVEN FORGET TO EAT SOMETIMES !!!! AND I WOULD ONLY REALISE JUST AS THE 1 HOUR TIME LIMIT WAS UP THAT I HAD TO EAT SOMETHING !!!! MY DINNER IS NOE ON A SIDE PLATE INSTEAD OF A DINNER PLATE BECAUSE YOU JUST CAN'T PHYSICALLY EAT A WHOLE NORMAL SIZED DINNER MEAL. THIS PART DOES TAKE TIME IT TOOK ME ABOUT A MONTH TO FEEL THAT WAY. I STARTED TO WONDER IF THE FEELING FULLER QUICKER WOULD EVER WORK FOR ME AND I ALWAYS FELT SO QUEASY BUT ALL OF A SUDDEN SOMETHING CHANGED. I WOULD RECOMMEND ANYONE TO GIVE THIS A GO. IF YOU ONLY TAKE BYETTA YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HYPOS BECAUSE THE BYETTA LIQUID ONLY PRESENTS ITSELF TO HELP EVERYTIME YOU EAT. NOT LIKE INSULIN WHERE YOU HAVE TO EAT OR YOU GO INTO A HYPO. I FULLY RECOMMEND BYETTA AND WISHED IT WAS AVAILABLE TO ME 7 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS FIRST DIAGNOSED. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO IS STARTING THIS AND FOR ANYONE THINKING ABOUT IT GO FOR IT XXXXXXXXXX :D :p

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

daisyhoney123 said:
IF YOU ONLY TAKE BYETTA YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT HYPOS BECAUSE THE BYETTA LIQUID ONLY PRESENTS ITSELF TO HELP EVERYTIME YOU EAT. NOT LIKE INSULIN WHERE YOU HAVE TO EAT OR YOU GO INTO A HYPO.
Hi Daisyhoney and welcome to the forum. Always nice to see yet another convert to the lizard spit!

If I can just correct one point you made. Due to the way that Byetta works, it is actually possible for it to cause a hypo. Byetta triggers your pancreas into what is called first phase insulin production. This is where the digestive system senses food and it sends a message to the pancreas to get started, except in our case it is the Byetta that sends the message. When you eat within an hour of the injection then the pancreas moves automatically into second phase production, which is where it produces insulin in response to the food you are eating. If you have the injection but then don't eat, the first phase insulin produced can reduce your blood sugar to hypo level, and of course because you haven't eaten then there is nothing to raise the blood sugar above hypo level. As long as you do eat within that hour then it is fine.

sixfoot

Feel so good just had to post for the hell of it. Been on Byetta now since End of March this year. Initial weightloss was good as was its effect on my BS. However as some find the weightloss flattened out and had been static at 18st 3lb for months. Well today it all changed i got under the 18st barrier and my waking bs was 4.4 normally high 5-6. I do control the carbs take flaxseed caps and AlA Lipoic Acid. Due my Byetta review next month and am looking to get the meds reduced.

:) :)
Dave P

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Dave,
That's great news. What other meds are you on now?

Tarcwin

Day 2 of Byetta and feeling bloody sick an hour after eating. I am type 2 on Metformin, Gliclizide, Aspirin. Now also on 5mg Byetta for 3 weeks. I take Byetta 1 hour before breakfast and evening meal. I do not like burping all the time and feeling sick. Any advice would be good. I always eat porridge for breakfast. Does it get any better? :cry:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Tarcwin,
You can inject at any time from 1 hour before you eat right up to immediately before eating. Many people find that injecting immediately before eating helps to reduce the nausea. Conversely the longer the gap between the injection and the meal, then the worse the nausea. Porridge quite bland and a pretty safe bet but until you get over the nausea (usually a week to 10 days) steer well clear of anything greasy or spicy.

rudini

I think I am another test case as I was started on Byetta and insulin (lantus) for recently diagnosed type 2 diabetes. I landed up in hospital with a blood glucose of 36.something after returning from holiday. because I am very overweight the Byetta was prescribed straight away and the lantus is at night as background. I've not had any nausea with Byetta, not even the 10 ug dose. I do feel full faster at meals and have had slight indigestion, but that's it. If it keeps my blood sugar under control and helps me lose weight I am a very happy bunny.

ians1

I didn't think Byetta was licensed for use with Insulin? Do you think the combination is working? Has it reduced your high bm at all? Its good to hear its not making you sick, and I wish you success with the weight loss, it can be very difficult.

ian

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Ian,
You are right that it isn't licenced for use with Byetta in either the UK or the US. This not because of any known problem but simply because the manufacturers didn't think that it would ever be used in combination, so never tested it. However, many diabetologists in the US have been prescribing it for use with insulin for more than a year now, with no reported complications. It looks like some British GPs are following the US's lead.

mason1604

Hi Soosie57,
I've heard of these trials, thought I might have become involved earlier this year. I understand these have been run in the USA with good results. Byetta should help with the weight I lost 4 1/2 stone in 6 months as Byetta unlike most other diabetic medication is weight negative. Do check you bloods regularly as you cannot really vary your medication much if getting into hypo territory.

cherrypie

Hi all,

My story is similar to daisyhoney. started Byetta in early march - now 3stone lighter with mmol between 4 and 8. Blood pressure is down too Yes had nausia at first but it soon settled - - the side plate is a good one - only way to get hubby not to put too much on my plate when he dishes up. With our lifestyle we go for brunch about midday and supper around 7pm.

I seem to have developed a problem with diahorrea recently - can't think of anything else that might cause it - similar experience to metformin - I now take the slow release tablets which sorted it out and I was fine until about a month ago. anyone else have this experience.?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Cherrypie,
Diarrhea is a listed side-effect of Byetta, but it does seem to occur quite rarely. Because Byetta slows down the passage of food through the stomach, a more common side effect seems to be the opposite of what you are experiencing!

descartesmum

I still don't want to eat :cry: and my weight loss hasn't changed. I decided to try yogurt for breakfast since I am going crazy trying to find something that I can eat as well as fancy. I am still having corn on the cob for lunch. Supper is the big problem, there is nothing that I want to eat so I have to force myself.

Lizzie has been behaving herself although the other night out of no where she reared her ugly nauseous head. Thankfully I have diet ginger ale and very thin crackers to nibble on.

Carol

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes

Hi Carol,
I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering the side effects. When did you start on Byetta and what dose are you on now?

I'm afraid that all I can do is to reiterate the things that seem to have worked for others:
- try eating something bland for breakfast (e.g. instant porridge oats)
- have the injection immediately before you eat
- steer well clear of spicy or greasy foods
- if you are taking metformin (or glucophage) as well, have the tablets in the middle of your meal
- try a ginger drink with your meal (I see you have already discovered this one).

Above all, don't worry about the weight loss at this stage. Once your body has become accustomed to the exenatide then the weight loss will follow.

descartesmum

Hi Dennis,

I started Byetta in March and I'm on the 10mcg dose.

Oatmeal is a no no for me big time. That's why I'm going with yogurt with a slice of rye bread.

I usually inject right before I eat.

I try to stay away from oils

Why should I have my metformin in the middle of my meal? I usually take one (850mg 3 times a day) right before my meal.

Thanks for your help.

Carol

cherrypie

Hi Dennis,

I would agree with you and my experience until a month ago was the other way - but fingers crossed with the new regime of brunch instead of a breakfast of porridge and fruit and nuts it seems to be settling down. Mind you , there are quite a few nasty bugs going round down here in Wales - could have been that.

still weight loss has started again after a plateau!