What is your lipid panel?

Tannith

BANNED
Would people like to share their lipid panel results? And have they changed since diagnosis/diet changes. In particular the triglycerides. I will start with mine: TC 3.5; HDL 1.1; LDL 2.1; Chol/HDL ratio 3.2 Non HDL2.4; Trigs 0.58.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Would people like to share their lipid panel results? And have they changed since diagnosis/diet changes. In particular the triglycerides. I will start with mine: TC 3.5; HDL 1.1; LDL 2.1; Chol/HDL ratio 3.2 Non HDL2.4; Trigs 0.58.
I wish I knew even!
They didn't test for cholesterol levels on my recent review, despite the fact that it's three years since the last one I had done :?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will try to find mine later. It would be useful to know if the respondents are taking statins or not, as statins can result in cholesterol being too low.

@Tannith your trigs figure is excellent, and that is the main one to be concerned about. :)

Tannith

BANNED
I will try to find mine later. It would be useful to know if the respondents are taking statins or not, as statins can result in cholesterol being too low.

@Tannith your trigs figure is excellent, and that is the main one to be concerned about. :)
Zand, a strange question perhaps, but I have never been able to get the "@ Zand or @Tannith thingy to work properly. How do you do it?
And as to statins yes its's a good idea of yours if people say whether or not they take them, and maybe at what dose. - I do. 10 mg

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Zand, a strange question perhaps, but I have never been able to get the "@ Zand or @Tannith thingy to work properly. How do you do it?
And as to statins yes its's a good idea of yours if people say whether or not they take them, and maybe at what dose. - I do. 10 mg
I think you have a gap between @ and Zand.
If you type @ and the name, a list will appear, select from the list to insure the name is correct.

Reactions: Tannith and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
upload_2021-10-11_13-18-43.png

Diabetes diagnosis was 18-11-2016, which is when I started statins. Stopped the statins again in februari, I think (practice nurse not happy but agreed I could try for a couple of months to see what happened).
What happened shows very clear on my total cholesterol graph. It went up a bit after the steep drop from the statins and then slowly dropped further, together with my hba1c.

Diet wise, I eat much less carbs and fairly more fats than at diagnosis, I'm pretty sure the change in lipids is due to lowering my blood glucose.
The only medication I use is insulin, enalapril (ACE inhibitor for blood pressure) and vitamin D.

The graph stops in 2019 because of covid, will have my first blood draw in two years tomorrow! :)

total cholesterol:
upload_2021-10-11_13-25-10.png

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Had a fasting blood test this morning, including trigs. Will let you know. Have refused statins.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Bubbleblower

BANNED
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year after diagnosis my TC was 6,8. HDL 1,0, LDL 4,7, Chol/HDL 6,8 and trigs 2,7.
Exactly a year later my TC was 6,1, HDL 1,3, LDL 4,3, Chol/HDL 4,7 and trigs 1,1.

According to my diabetes nurse I was/am not insulin resistant, but I wonder if that is true.
I don’t take statins, but I do use nattokinase, which supposively works better and have adopted a LCHF diet.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year after diagnosis my TC was 6,8. HDL 1,0, LDL 4,7, Chol/HDL 6,8 and trigs 2,7.
Exactly a year later my TC was 6,1, HDL 1,3, LDL 4,3, Chol/HDL 4,7 and trigs 1,1.

According to my diabetes nurse I was/am not insulin resistant, but I wonder if that is true.
I don’t take statins, but I do use nattokinase, which supposively works better and have adopted a LCHF diet.
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1084/nattokinase

in case some havent heard of it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
January 2014 on diagnosis
Total 6.1
Trigs 1.25
HDL 1.56
LDL 4.0
Total/HDL ratio 3.9
Non HDL 4.84
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.8

November 2019 (last test)
Total 5.5
Trigs 0.65
HDL 2.23
LDL 3.0
Total/HDL ratio 2.5
Non HDL 3.3
Trigs/HDL ratio 0.29

No statins

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On Sep 7, 2021

TC 2.94
Cho/HDL 3.9
HDL 0.76
LDL 1.62
Tri 1.23
Non HDL 2.18

My numbers have considerably improved since I have been eating lower carb. I also take 1 crestor per day. When I asked my endocrinologist what can I do to improve my HDL. She responded - nothing except becoming a woman. Yeah right! (apparently men in general have lower HDL than women)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine have been the same forever and a day as far as I know;

Total - 7.6
HDL - 2.45
Trigs - 0.5
LDL - 4.6

No statins but they never stop insinuating that I may drop dead within 10 years if I don't lower my LDL by taking them. (I'm a 59 year old woman for context and am very fit, don't smoke, don't drink blah, blah). Apparently none of that counts, as a diabetic I'm automatically at 'high risk'. Sigh.

Edited to add, I was sent off for dna testing and to cut a long story short, the results came back that my 'higher than the average person's LDL' was in fact polygenic, meaning that's just me!

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
In July it was:

Serum lipid levels
Serum cholesterol level 7.4 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 2.19 mmol/L [0.4 - 1.8]
Above high reference limit
Serum HDL cholesterol level 1.5 mmol/L
Serum non high density lipoprotein cholesterol level 5.9 mmol/L
Serum LDL cholesterol level 4.9 mmol/L
NB the calculation of LDL is valid only for a
fasting sample.
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 4.9

Not particularly good but am having a go at improving it by diet and am avoiding the use of statins for now.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't find my 2005 results. I have a feeling they were the ones that got lost in the post when I sent them to my naturopath. I know the TC was 7.8 but I can't remember the rest.

So here's my 2006 figures, though they didn't do a full lipid panel. I had just started to reduce carbs and processed food a few months before these, but I was by no means low carbing yet as I didn't know that was a 'thing' lol.

Total cholesterol level 5.7
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 7.1
Serum HDL cholesterol level(mmol/L) 0.8

I was diagnosed T2 in 2011

Most recent results July 2021

Total cholesterol 5.4 mmol/L
HDL cholesterol 1.2 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/ HDL ratio 4.5

The earliest trigs figure I have is 2008 - 1.4
The most recent trigs figure I have was in 2018 - 0.8

I have never taken statins.

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
I can't find my 2005 results. I have a feeling they were the ones that got lost in the post when I sent them to my naturopath. I know the TC was 7.8 but I can't remember the rest.

So here's my 2006 figures, though they didn't do a full lipid panel. I had just started to reduce carbs and processed food a few months before these, but I was by no means low carbing yet as I didn't know that was a 'thing' lol.

Total cholesterol level 5.7
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 7.1
Serum HDL cholesterol level(mmol/L) 0.8

I was diagnosed T2 in 2011

Most recent results July 2021

Total cholesterol 5.4 mmol/L
HDL cholesterol 1.2 mmol/L
Serum cholesterol/ HDL ratio 4.5

The earliest trigs figure I have is 2008 - 1.4
The most recent trigs figure I have was in 2018 - 0.8
The last trigs figure sounds brilliant . Well done. And by the way good luck to your husband with his liver results.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last trigs figure sounds brilliant . Well done. And by the way good luck to your husband with his liver results.
Thank you. The hard work starts tomorrow.

Oh, and having suggested asking people to say if they are on statins or not...I forgot to do so lol. Just editing my post now :)

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Mine since T2D diagnosis have been:
Apr 2019 TC 3.6, HDL 1.2 , LDL 1.9, Trig 1.93b taking 40mg Atorvastatin at the time - stopped it !
Aug 2019 TC 5.0, HDL 1.33, LDL 1.97, Trig 3.74 Trying Dave Feldman protocol to lower LDL result appeared may have worked but at cost of high Trigs
May 2020 TC 7.4, HDL 1.92, LDL 4.62, Trig 1.75 No Feldman protocol this time
Nov 2020 TC 7.7, HDL 2.17, LDL 5.02, Trig 1.13 No protocol

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
diagnosis
A1c 9.4%
Total 4.1 HDL-C 0.9, LDL-C 2.9, Triglycerides 0.7