Regular moderate exercise log

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Think you are fantastic BUT you do realise this is the MODERATE exercise thread!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Think you are fantastic BUT you do realise this is the MODERATE exercise thread!
It might appear contradictory, but this is moderate, relatively. I am sure I am not alone, but I have to contain my ego and train at a lower level than I would like. I am 54 in a couple of weeks, I have to accept this is not 24. At that age I would have been putting in twice the volume and around 20 percent more effort in each session.

When I was in my 20's, back to back Karate class sessions was a thing and squad training was 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Traditional Shotokan was brutal. Now I have to be creative and time efficient and not wear myself out,unless it is a max day, which will become less frequent now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Told myself to start posting here again to keep myself accountable.
I’m trying to build strength and do resistance exercises to help put back some of the huge amount of muscle mass I lost a few years ago through illness which kept me in a hospital bed for months.
I can’t get to a gym so it’s home exercising for me, trying alternate days of upper and lower body focus.
Today was 15 mins lower body: squats, forward and reverse lunges, Sit ups, plank (1 minute!).
I go to a PT in the local park on Tuesdays, but if anyone has any useful tips on strength training at home using body weight (or I have 1kg, 2kg and 3kg hand weights) I’d be grateful.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if anyone has any useful tips on strength training at home using body weight (or I have 1kg, 2kg and 3kg hand weights) I’d be grateful.

I haven’t tried it, but have this video bookmarked for when I’m back up and running. Found it via Twitter:

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t tried it, but have this video bookmarked for when I’m back up and running. Found it via Twitter:

Thanks, I think this is the sort of thing I’m after - not sure I’ll even manage one of those push ups though. Also I’ll need to watch it again as I was distracted by the funny little dog mooching around the background.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Proud of myself today for going out to my PT session, especially as the trainer had sent a text earlier saying the weather was windy and horrid so did I want to cancel? The answer in my mind was ‘yes’ but I stuck with it.
Lots of reps of the following 3 exercises: 10 squats, 10 sit ups ( I’m rubbish at these - he has to hold my feet down!) and ‘boxing’ holding 1kg weights for 30secs.
Just a couple of gentle dog walks later to stop my muscles seizing completely.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Told myself to start posting here again to keep myself accountable.
I’m trying to build strength and do resistance exercises to help put back some of the huge amount of muscle mass I lost a few years ago through illness which kept me in a hospital bed for months.
I can’t get to a gym so it’s home exercising for me, trying alternate days of upper and lower body focus.
Today was 15 mins lower body: squats, forward and reverse lunges, Sit ups, plank (1 minute!).
I go to a PT in the local park on Tuesdays, but if anyone has any useful tips on strength training at home using body weight (or I have 1kg, 2kg and 3kg hand weights) I’d be grateful.
I think I need something like this too. Keep me posted how I goes.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally my regular schedule seems to be stabilising... in the lockdown had something on zoom every day but with the return to halls everyone seemed to move to the same days.
Anyway have ended up
Monday: General, fairly gentle class
Tuesday: harder but shorter 45 minutes class am, then dancing pm
Wednesday: nothing, should go walking
Thursday: yoga am, dancing evening
Friday: nothing
Saturday: yoga
Sunday: Country walk with friends

All moderate and sociable. For me it needs to be, don't like hard work!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally my regular schedule seems to be stabilising... in the lockdown had something on zoom every day but with the return to halls everyone seemed to move to the same days.
Anyway have ended up
Monday: General, fairly gentle class
Tuesday: harder but shorter 45 minutes class am, then dancing pm
Wednesday: nothing, should go walking
Thursday: yoga am, dancing evening
Friday: nothing
Saturday: yoga
Sunday: Country walk with friends

All moderate and sociable. For me it needs to be, don't like hard work!

Looks like a good schedule, a nice mix of fitness and sociability. You’re right, it needs to be enjoyable if we’re to stick with it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t posted for a few days but I’m still trying to do something each day, alternating upper body and lower body.
@Goonergal I tried following that video you posted but even though it’s for beginners I’m obviously nowhere near the starting block even. I could only manage 1 press up!
I’ve gone back to HASfit, I used to follow them on YouTube and they now have an app ( it’s free but you can pay a subscription to get rid of ads and stream it into your tv etc)
They have a good selection of courses and one -offs for all abilities.
Did the ‘5 min leg burn’ tonight and it did burn!
Tomorrow I’ll do the arms and may start to add in one of the 20 min courses.
Still managing 10k steps most days and making myself power walk up hills rather than ambling is helping fitness I think.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HASfit 5 minute bicep burn this morning and a 20 min low impact HIIT ( isnt that a contradiction in terms?) this afternoon.
I like the idea of 5 min intense work.

Reactions: LaoDan and MrsA2