Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 People have different opinions on low carb amounts etc. But I don't think 150 carbs would be considered low carb. But 150 carbs seems to be an amount a lot of doctors recommend as an approximate starting point in the US when you are first learning dosing. It's just a general guidance. Because in the long run, as a type 1 you can usually eat what carbs you want as long as you dose right for them. (As long as it's not too much food that you actually need lol)

Last edited:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone not much sleep last night due to new kitten her name is roxy
20211005_103128.jpg

Reactions: Japes

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh mega cute @karen8967
Sounds an interesting fruit @Marie 2
I would say average carbs @Yaya10_10 but if it is working for you, both in enjoyment, matching the carbs, you are not piling on unwanted weight and it is generally healthy food it doesn’t matter.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 Congratulations on the new kitten!! Hopefully you get a routine going, new pets can cause a few sleepless nights!
my last cat passed about 6 years ago and i said i wouldnt get another one had her for 20 years,i forgot how much hard work kittens are:arghh::arghh:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, @karen8967 that is one fab looking kitten! She's gorgeous! Hope she settles down soon but I bet you're also loving every minute of her (daytime) antics!

Nothing of interest to report here except I don't like this heading towards winter bit. Lovely sunny morning here, cloudy now, but I can feel the temperature dropping....

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Yaya10_10 Do you carb count and dose per the carbs you eat? Because it's not usually about how many carbs we are eating. It's about learning to dose right for the carbs we eat. I found prebolusing and the timing of part of my insulin before I eat is one of the most helpful tools to learn. That way you can adjust the second insulin dose to what you actually ate.

Reactions: karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning.
Your new kitten looks fab Karen!
Yup, it’s cold. I don’t like winter, It’s so much more trouble revealing the bit of shivering flesh that’ll be gifted the insulin, and so much more time’s spent warming fingers up enough to give a drop for the calibration checks. There are still leaves, still flowers, the pond’s not frozen, so we’re not there yet. I’m willing the fish fry to get big enough to overwinter safely and chucking more food their way. Some of them have begun to develop patches of colour in the black; I really want to see what their true appearance is next year, and to see them come through safely.
Husband dropped into a hub yesterday to see if they’d give us booster doses. Neither of us have had a call from the poor overworked GPs so we thought we’d give it a try as the time gap’s right. Yes, they’d enough Pfizer, so we sat side by side to be jabbed and chatted with a friend, there by chance, who’d done the same.
Did any of you have Pfizer? I had AZ for the first two. I now have what seem to be cold symptoms, but maybe that’s what the Pfizer does.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just coached a GP, who clearly didn't know the diabetes kit well, through the items on my repeat prescription list for an emergency medication review because I insisted on a call to get this sorted because a receptionist told me 3 weeks ago I didn't need a review as it had all been updated. (Despite me telling her what the online system was saying my end "Oh, no, it's all been done to September 2022") and, of course, when I tried to do this month's repeat, it was all blocked out because I'd not booked a review.

Tonight's receptionist did try to get me to phone again tomorrow but, alas, I'm on a booked day out of work, leaving home well before the surgery opens, and not getting back until after it closes and I kept repeating this as well as the fact this was an emergency of their making, not mine, and I had tried to sort this out three weeks ago after the pharmacy dramas and waiting over two weeks for test strips. I am not doing this kind of call by mobile whilst on the train!!!!

Broken record technique of the above followed by a very quiet, "I am extremely frustrated, doing my level best to be kind to both you and the receptionist of 3 weeks ago, and not lose my temper at the thought I might die without insulin through absolutely no fault of mine. What is the surgery going to do about this now."

I've probably got to go through all this again next month as it's now being sent to the clinic for advice as they've not seen me for two years and my next appointment there has been shunted to next April.

Wanders off to bang head against a brick wall.

(Edited to add - I won't die in the immediate future from lack of insulin, I promise!)

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Japes Very frustrating to have to jump through hoops for something that should be pretty straight forward. And then having to cross your fingers because you don't know if it's really fixed yet.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Japes, this is an unforgivable systems failure you’re facing.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all. I’m taking the lazy way through bs raised (I think) by the Pfizer booster shot and not taxing myself until this afternoon when I’ll walk the miles to the new site of the surgery. I’ll be taking a card, for all the GPS who work there, to express my gratitude for the phone appointments and for their continuing to look after as many as is humanly possible while this pandemic continues. If you’ve seen the front pages of two of the papers this morning then you’ll know why I’ll be doing this.
I’ll give our GP next door neighbour a card too. Her face, when I asked about work yesterday, was a picture of tiredness, and she looked utterly disheartened.
The Consultant appointment (phone) due last month has been cancelled due to ‘unforeseen circumstances’. I know the Consultant had come out of retirement to take the job because no other could be found.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
On a lighter note, the sun’s shining. BS are reacting to corrections and descending, now 7.6, much better than last night’s 15.6 (urgh) and cat, husband, birds, fish, are all contented in this small home territory.