A1C test on Wednesday...

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here we go, HbA1c test booked for Wednesday, this will be the first since I followed the advice of the members of this forum and cut out carbs.

Am I excited? Yes. Am I nervous? Very.

Why am I nervous? I don't know but if my average bloods are anything to go by, I should be under 40 - hopefully.

MySugr is predicting 38.7 mmol/mol but I understand from reading posts that it can be a bit generous with its predictions.
Week after that I have a tele consult with my GP to see what course to take. I am trying to get a subscription to the Low Carb program, but will it be of benefit to me?

Thanks to the forum members, your advice and support have made a huge difference to me.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Here we go, HbA1c test booked for Wednesday, this will be the first since I followed the advice of the members of this forum and cut out carbs.

Am I excited? Yes. Am I nervous? Very.

Why am I nervous? I don't know but if my average bloods are anything to go by, I should be under 40 - hopefully.

MySugr is predicting 38.7 mmol/mol but I understand from reading posts that it can be a bit generous with its predictions.
Week after that I have a tele consult with my GP to see what course to take. I am trying to get a subscription to the Low Carb program, but will it be of benefit to me?

Thanks to the forum members, your advice and support have made a huge difference to me.
Good luck for Wednesday but sounds like you are making great progress. Four years ago I started my low carb journey on the Low Carb program I was lucky as it was a free pilot program them and found it really useful for me as before that - for first two years post diagnosis Id been trying to reduce hbaca1 and weight by following the standard healthy advice of whole grain high carb,low fat lots of fruit etc and that wasn’t working!needed the program personally because the high carb low fat message was so ingrained in me. So answer would be if you feel it would be helpful to have more support and target setting.

Reactions: pinkfoot

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you’re doing very well so far, good luck for your HbA1c result!
I was also lucky enough to get the program for free. When it was in it’s infancy I found it a bit slow, then you could only progress to the next ‘lesson’ after a week had gone by, I don’t know if that I is still the case. Your GP should be able to prescribe the program for you, so then wouldn’t cost you anything.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @pinkfoot You don't say what your HbA1C was before starting low carb, but from your weight loss and the BG readings you are going to get either a non-diabetic reading or one in the low end of the pre-diabetic range. (unless those BG's aren't as representative as you think they are).

If that works out as I expect, then rather than needing to subscribe to a low carb program, you should be helping/teaching others how to do it.

Zeddedhed

Hi pink foot.

I'd be very keen to hear how your test compares to the mysugr estimate. For me it's predicting 44.3 right now, and that's after logging just over three weeks of results.
I'm going to book in a test to coincide with three months of regular testing and low-carb eating, and I'm hoping to get it down to below 40.

My guess is that the accuracy of the estimate is going to depend on when you test and how often. I try to test evenly throughout the day, but always two hours after my main meal as I know that's when I'm likely to be high.

Good luck for Wednesday and don't forget to let us know the outcome.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @pinkfoot You don't say what your HbA1C was before starting low carb, but from your weight loss and the BG readings you are going to get either a non-diabetic reading or one in the low end of the pre-diabetic range. (unless those BG's aren't as representative as you think they are).

If that works out as I expect, then rather than needing to subscribe to a low carb program, you should be helping/teaching others how to do it.
Hiya @ianf0ster my old reading was 61, apologies for omitting that.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pink foot.

I'd be very keen to hear how your test compares to the mysugr estimate. For me it's predicting 44.3 right now, and that's after logging just over three weeks of results.
I'm going to book in a test to coincide with three months of regular testing and low-carb eating, and I'm hoping to get it down to below 40.

My guess is that the accuracy of the estimate is going to depend on when you test and how often. I try to test evenly throughout the day, but always two hours after my main meal as I know that's when I'm likely to be high.

Good luck for Wednesday and don't forget to let us know the outcome.
Cheers @Zeddedhed I will update this thread as soon as I know, results are generally three to four days after the test here in Liverpool.
I really appreciate your good wishes, thank you!

Kev

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so results are in and a little bit disappointed. I've dropped from 61mmol/mol to 51 mmol/mol in just six weeks, not the 41 I was hoping for but hey, maybe that is just me being too optimistic/unrealistic in such a short space of time. My Cholesterol has gone terrible - from 3.3 to 5.3 - well out of tolerance! So it looks like I will have to go back on a statin, which I will discuss with the doctor on Tuesday.

I'm going to stick at it and see where we are in 6 months time, hopefully, I will be reporting to you lovely lot that I'm in remission.

Zeddedhed

Hi @pinkfoot and thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear that the results weren't as you'd hoped, but.....down from 61 to 51 in just six weeks is no mean feat, and you should be encouraged. I reckon if I managed a change that significant I'd celebrate with a potato, rice and pasta sandwich!!

The BG readings from your meter will only ever be a guide to the direction of travel, so to speak, so take some reassurance from knowing that whilst things weren't maybe quite as good as you thought the readings at least kept you heading in the right direction, and from what limited experience and knowledge I have it seems that it's the direction that matters most.

So well done and onwards and upwards (or maybe downwards would be more appropriate)

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Two hbA1c in 6 weeks?

Red Blood cells have a lifespan of 3-4 months, so I don't think it makes much sense to test so close together. Half of the result will reflect on the 6 weeks before you changed your diet. If it was somehow possible to do a hbA1c that just looked at 6 weeks it would probably indicate that you are much closer to your target.

I would not worry much about cholesterol at this point. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can fill you in with some details here.

Well done so far, keep it up.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two hbA1c in 6 weeks?

Red Blood cells have a lifespan of 3-4 months, so I don't think it makes much sense to test so close together. Half of the result will reflect on the 6 weeks before you changed your diet. If it was somehow possible to do a hbA1c that just looked at 6 weeks it would probably indicate that you are much closer to your target.

I would not worry much about cholesterol at this point. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can fill you in with some details here.

Well done so far, keep it up.
Morning, Boggle.

Thanks so much for this info. I’d read similar elsewhere on the forum and your post backs it up. I have really changed my lifestyle and was hoping for some ‘magic’ numbers. I’d asked my GP to be referred to the Low Carb program and it was he who asked me to carry out another test prior to a tele consult on Tuesday.
I’ll report the outcome after that.

Thanks again, off to deliver 17 tonnes of biscuits to Aldi, oh, the irony.!

Kev

Reactions: boggle

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My GP was happy with my results and thanked me for taking the steps I had so far. As for being referred to the ‘Low Carb Program’ he wasn’t too keen on that and has asked me to try a 12 week weight-loss program. Let’s see what that brings.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Full lipid, can’t get to the results at the moment though
86205617-DDCD-4020-8F0A-325F18346503.png 5230D01E-D300-413B-B632-AFC163296C97.png 901A97BE-B415-4BA8-BF9E-3739A2A10B83.png 8F040EAE-8762-4BC2-8D04-1D20A398E5F3.png

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so results are in and a little bit disappointed. I've dropped from 61mmol/mol to 51 mmol/mol in just six weeks,

With the A1c test spanning 12 weeks that 51 includes 6 week of higher readings.
Repeat in 6 weeks time & you're guaranteed to be closer to your estimate.

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, had fasted, triglycerides attached

Attachments

• 7FE6C7C7-6188-4100-9928-4A578CAF457D.png
    7FE6C7C7-6188-4100-9928-4A578CAF457D.png
    358 KB · Views: 88