Results are in HBA1C

AnnM99

Hi everyone,
I have been so quiet of late - felt like I needed to focus on so many things and just so little time.
Well, my journey ...
I was diagnosed 3rd June (on my 48th birthday) and was very shocked - I think I spent 2 weeks crying! Not sure why I was so shocked as I should have seen it coming. I had gestational diabetes with my twins 12 years ago. The fact that I was told it had gone after I had them, well I completely forgot about it and my surgery never mentioned it after either. It was only when I felt 'off' in 2020 that I finally went to get some blood tests. I do believe I had Covid December 2019 and wonder if this was the start of my T2.
My birthday 'gift' BS were 86. I was told this was dangerously high. I was also told to 'watch my carbs' whatever that meant - at the time I had no idea and when the GP called 10 days later I was told that no change in diet or exercise would sort it out as my BMI was 'good' at 27. Yes, this was my GP - never spoke with him since or the nurse. I was told to take Gliclazide and that I was 'foolish' not to (by my GP) and that I was 'overthinking' the T2 diabetes. Fast forward: never took the Gliclazide as I was too scared I would hypo at school. Instead, I started low Carbing and exercising. BS went from 86 to 60 in 8 weeks. I then saw another doctor who advised me to take Metformin. I decided to give this drug a go. I was given 2000mg a day and have been taking it for just 7 weeks. Fast forward: today's results are in and I am at 42. I was pleased but wanted a 41 I think because that's back into normal range. Never mind.
My question: I wonder if this is it? Is this as far as I can take it? 42 is good, right? I would love 38 etc but maybe my expectations are too high. Also, has anyone else been able to reduce their Metformin at this level? 2000mg is high I think for a 42 reading now. I will see a different doctor next week. I have gone from a BMI of 27 to 22.3 and dropped 2 dress sizes. I feel better than I have done in quite a while. I just wish I could sleep better! Spend most of the night dreaming and this gets me down.
I would love to hear your experiences. I think we are left alone to deal with our diabetes and this has shocked me. Thank you for this forum, I have learnt so much. I am going to treat myself to a few G and T's this weekend.

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly, well done! Bringing your A1c down from 86 to 42 is a fantastic achievement and will do wonders for helping to keep you safer and healthier in the future. You can feel very proud of that. Congrats too on the weight loss and feeling generally better in yourself. Bravo!

I know exactly what you mean about just missing the "normal" non-diabetic range on your A1c, my last result was 43 and at the time I wished for those extra couple of points lower. It doesn't matter though, the numbers are only temporary, what really matters is your great progress and healthy future. I was 109 when first diagnosed and will (I'm certain) hit the 30's in my next A1c test in a weeks time. I was on 2000mg of metformin initially too, am down to 1000mg currently and will probably jettison that when my next results are in.

Enjoy your well earned G&T!

Reactions: gooner10 and coby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No change in diet or exercise would sort it out?
Honestly - back in the 1970s Dr Atkinson reports stopping type 2 diabetes in its tracks for his patients. What do they teach them at med school?
I went from 91 to 41 in 6 months, then to 42 at one year from diagnosis.
In a bid to reduce Hba1c, I reduced carbs to no more than 40 a day from 50 gm, waited a year and the result was - 42.
I will stick to the 40 gm a day limit, it is fine by me, and wait, as I am seeing my shape change, my waist reduce - maybe there will be a reduction in Hba1c eventually.

Reactions: gooner10

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi everyone,
I have been so quiet of late - felt like I needed to focus on so many things and just so little time.
Well, my journey ...
I was diagnosed 3rd June (on my 48th birthday) and was very shocked - I think I spent 2 weeks crying! Not sure why I was so shocked as I should have seen it coming. I had gestational diabetes with my twins 12 years ago. The fact that I was told it had gone after I had them, well I completely forgot about it and my surgery never mentioned it after either. It was only when I felt 'off' in 2020 that I finally went to get some blood tests. I do believe I had Covid December 2019 and wonder if this was the start of my T2.
My birthday 'gift' BS were 86. I was told this was dangerously high. I was also told to 'watch my carbs' whatever that meant - at the time I had no idea and when the GP called 10 days later I was told that no change in diet or exercise would sort it out as my BMI was 'good' at 27. Yes, this was my GP - never spoke with him since or the nurse. I was told to take Gliclazide and that I was 'foolish' not to (by my GP) and that I was 'overthinking' the T2 diabetes. Fast forward: never took the Gliclazide as I was too scared I would hypo at school. Instead, I started low Carbing and exercising. BS went from 86 to 60 in 8 weeks. I then saw another doctor who advised me to take Metformin. I decided to give this drug a go. I was given 2000mg a day and have been taking it for just 7 weeks. Fast forward: today's results are in and I am at 42. I was pleased but wanted a 41 I think because that's back into normal range. Never mind.
My question: I wonder if this is it? Is this as far as I can take it? 42 is good, right? I would love 38 etc but maybe my expectations are too high. Also, has anyone else been able to reduce their Metformin at this level? 2000mg is high I think for a 42 reading now. I will see a different doctor next week. I have gone from a BMI of 27 to 22.3 and dropped 2 dress sizes. I feel better than I have done in quite a while. I just wish I could sleep better! Spend most of the night dreaming and this gets me down.
I would love to hear your experiences. I think we are left alone to deal with our diabetes and this has shocked me. Thank you for this forum, I have learnt so much. I am going to treat myself to a few G and T's this weekend.
Ann you are amazing! What a journey you have been on in so short a timespan, and those results SHOULD be congratulated! Well done you. It's perfectly possible to lower those and I would also say possibe to reduce meds by quite a lot. I am on just one 500mg tablet of Metformin per day and my DN is removing that if my numbers remain at non-diabetic at my next review. Have a great day xx

AnnM99

Hi everyone,
Thank you for your replies and I am so sorry for my late reply. I have been so busy with my job demands that I haven't been on here (am a teacher) but wanted to let you know how I got on.
So my new levels are 42. I had a telephone conversation Tuesday of this week with DN who says that I can reduce to 1000mg per day. The following night I had a final follow up consultation with a diabetic consultant at a local hospital. He was amazed with my results and said they had really surprised him. He also said that if I tolerate Metformin just to continue with 2000mg. I suggested that this was being overmedicated and he then agreed it probably was but that he would not want my numbers to 'bounce back' after all my hard work. I reminded him that i got from 86 to 60 without meds! He then said that 'if I wanted' i could knock off one of the evening pills and reduce to 1500mg and recheck me in 12 weeks. I have yet to reduce but think I will start this on Monday. Surely I won't know until I try???? I was really sick after dinner last night for some reason (had a bad head all day yesterday and was tired so took 2 x paracetamol before I ate and too 2 x metformin after I ate) and then brought up my chili and cauli rice (tmi, sorry). I suspect my Met x 2 wasn't absorbed either. This morning fast BS were 5.3. Also, getting worried about weight as this morning dropped to just under 9 stone. I am 5.3. 2 years ago I was 11.4 so quite a difference. I seem to have lost my appetite these days. Maybe the Metformin?
Decisions, decisions. I am not sure what to do.
Thanks for reading this and listening to me.

Reactions: chani111

chani111

You have done so well congratulations. Maybe just slow down a bit and take your time. You don’t have to rush your decisions especially if life is hectic and you are not feeling well. I think give yourself some space to relax first and enjoy how far you have come. You clearly have got this in hand. Take care x

AnnM99

You have done so well congratulations. Maybe just slow down a bit and take your time. You don’t have to rush your decisions especially if life is hectic and you are not feeling well. I think give yourself some space to relax first and enjoy how far you have come. You clearly have got this in hand. Take care x
Thank you for your kind words. I feel great this morning. I was exhausted yesterday - the job is demanding and sucks every last drop of energy from me. x Plan to have steak and chips tonight!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AnnM99
Sometimes, not everything is diabetes related. I , too, have been feeling nauseous and sick with bad headache, sometimes hot, very tired most of this week. Either a bug going round or reaction to flu jab I had last weekend? Who knows, but bg has been OK all the time. Do you test, you might find it reassuring?