Remission of Diabetes Achieved

A12345

Hi guys,

I just wanted to give all a hope that the remission of type 2 is very much possible!!

I followed Newcastle diet diligently for almost 40 days and lost 8.5 kgs. Checked my blood sugar levels after the end of period and my levels came absolutely normal!! Just wanted to share it with people who are truly willing to do that.

The journey was extremely difficult as you don't get to eat the foods that you love but results are definitely worth it. Prior to starting the diet, I was 85 kgs and was on metformin and gliclazide. The BS levels were between 11-15 mmol. When on medication I was achieving between 6-7.5 mmol. I did not consult any of the doctors before embarking on the diet as I read a lot of threads wherein doctors were discouraging this diet.

It is extremely difficult as you won't be eating a lot of real foods that you love but it's definitely worth it at the end. It is important though that your levels should not drop too low as it might cause a lot of trouble. It is also very important that you tell yourself that it could be achieved. Keep telling this to your mind and your body that positive results are being achieved. Don't let any negative thoughts come in and impact your diet. I was losing 300-500 GM's everyday and now I haven't had any of my medication for the last 10 days and the levels are still normal. Last night I had a beer and biryani and my levels this morning were still normal!!

If I can do it so can you!! I now intend to go for daily runs and keep major part of my diet healthy.

I wish you all the very best and trust yourself that it can be done :)

Love from Sydney - Ash

Reactions: JanetMcDowell

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your weight loss. It was certainly worth the effort.

Good luck with the next stage. Keep us posted :)

Reactions: gooner10

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I can do it so can you!!
Hmm as a 36 year old male I think thats rather an overstatement.
It has worked short term for you so well done. What kind of healthy diet are you now going to move to?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi guys,

I just wanted to give all a hope that the remission of type 2 is very much possible!!

I followed Newcastle diet diligently for almost 40 days and lost 8.5 kgs. Checked my blood sugar levels after the end of period and my levels came absolutely normal!! Just wanted to share it with people who are truly willing to do that.

The journey was extremely difficult as you don't get to eat the foods that you love but results are definitely worth it. Prior to starting the diet, I was 85 kgs and was on metformin and gliclazide. The BS levels were between 11-15 mmol. When on medication I was achieving between 6-7.5 mmol. I did not consult any of the doctors before embarking on the diet as I read a lot of threads wherein doctors were discouraging this diet.

It is extremely difficult as you won't be eating a lot of real foods that you love but it's definitely worth it at the end. It is important though that your levels should not drop too low as it might cause a lot of trouble. It is also very important that you tell yourself that it could be achieved. Keep telling this to your mind and your body that positive results are being achieved. Don't let any negative thoughts come in and impact your diet. I was losing 300-500 GM's everyday and now I haven't had any of my medication for the last 10 days and the levels are still normal. Last night I had a beer and biryani and my levels this morning were still normal!!

If I can do it so can you!! I now intend to go for daily runs and keep major part of my diet healthy.

Love from Sydney - Ash
Well done you! Can I just say that we don't all find it difficult to change what we eat, because by saying this it might put some people off or cause them to be anxious to even try. I got to non-diabetic in just under 7 weeks, so similar to you, but I did actually ENJOY my foods and still do, very much. I certainly didn't find it tough going and I looked forward to each and every meal. Determination to succeed and to make your body healthy wins every time. Congratulations :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and well done to you, @A12345 .
As a veteran of 10+ years post Newcastle diet, I advise you to proceed with caution. Extreme caution. To give the benefit of my experience….
I too was evangelical following early success. Huge weight loss, blood glucose returned to normal within days of starting, and remained so for a good few years. BUT following a period of ill health, hospital food for months, and a later challenge to eat high carb foods to test the theory that I had ‘reversed’ my T2 I found a gradual upward movement of BG levels again. Also, once starting the higher carb foods it was difficult to stop. For me, and many others, carbs are addictive. I also regained some of the weight, which doesn’t want to leave me again. I just about manage to keep blood glucose levels in non-diabetes state.
Having been successful so far , the last thing you want to do is find you have wasted all your efforts. So, the sensible thing for you to do would be to not return to your former eating style. Remember, the ND is not over after the calorie restricted phase. The advice from the Newcastle diet team is that you should not eat as you did before.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/201809%20Sample%20Recipes%20&%20meal%20plans.pdf
T
he way I would proceed following the reduced calorie phase would be to test BG and weight regularly, (especially after beer and biryani, )and keep records of what I had consumed. That way it would be possible to see correlation and adjust diet accordingly. Also, to keep to a low carb way of eating, for the majority of the time.
Don’t mean to rain on your parade. ND, is often misunderstood to be a one off cure. The follow on diet is just as important, and so many people either forget that, or didn’t realise that in the first place. I wish you good health, and do hope you will keep us informed of long term progress.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and well done to you, @A12345 .
As a veteran of 10+ years post Newcastle diet, I advise you to proceed with caution. Extreme caution. To give the benefit of my experience….
I too was evangelical following early success. Huge weight loss, blood glucose returned to normal within days of starting, and remained so for a good few years. BUT following a period of ill health, hospital food for months, and a later challenge to eat high carb foods to test the theory that I had ‘reversed’ my T2 I found a gradual upward movement of BG levels again. Also, once starting the higher carb foods it was difficult to stop. For me, and many others, carbs are addictive. I also regained some of the weight, which doesn’t want to leave me again. I just about manage to keep blood glucose levels in non-diabetes state.
Having been successful so far , the last thing you want to do is find you have wasted all your efforts. So, the sensible thing for you to do would be to not return to your former eating style. Remember, the ND is not over after the calorie restricted phase. The advice from the Newcastle diet team is that you should not eat as you did before.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/newcastlemagneticresonancecentre/files/201809 Sample Recipes & meal plans.pdf
T
he way I would proceed following the reduced calorie phase would be to test BG and weight regularly, (especially after beer and biryani, )and keep records of what I had consumed. That way it would be possible to see correlation and adjust diet accordingly. Also, to keep to a low carb way of eating, for the majority of the time.
Don’t mean to rain on your parade. ND, is often misunderstood to be a one off cure. The follow on diet is just as important, and so many people either forget that, or didn’t realise that in the first place. I wish you good health, and do hope you will keep us informed of long term progress.
Thank you, Pipp, for this well-written appraisal of what ND entails, and as a former beneficiary.

It is useful to be mindful that the recent follow-ups on the ND seem to back up the warning you give here. ND is effective at first, but its weakness appears to be the post-VLC maintenance which is not a quick fix at all.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, Pipp, for this well-written appraisal of what ND entails, and as a former beneficiary.

It is useful to be mindful that the recent follow-ups on the ND seem to back up the warning you give here. ND is effective at first, but its weakness appears to be the post-VLC maintenance which is not a quick fix at all.
I do think ND is a good weapon in the armoury, but all weapons have limitations, and if used incorrectly, can cause injury to the person weilding the weapon.
It really grieves me that people often don’t look at the whole regime, and so many have been mislead by some of the media presentations of Very Low Calorie Diets, and exaggerated claims that it is a one off fix to just do 8 weeks severe calorie restriction and you are ‘cured’.
Change in eating habits need to be lifelong. If people can embrace that, then I do think a quick , short term , burst of very low calorie diets can be a kick start to encourage change for better health.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do think ND is a good weapon in the armoury, but all weapons have limitations, and if used incorrectly, can cause injury to the person weilding the weapon.
It really grieves me that people often don’t look at the whole regime, and so many have been mislead by some of the media presentations of Very Low Calorie Diets, and exaggerated claims that it is a one off fix to just do 8 weeks severe calorie restriction and you are ‘cured’.
Change in eating habits need to be lifelong. If people can embrace that, then I do think a quick , short term , burst of very low calorie diets can be a kick start to encourage change for better health.
We think as one here. I totally agree. Boot Camp for diabetics?

Reactions: EllieM

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Maybe I should just add that I did not participate in this so called Newcastle Diet. I just read up on carbs and decided how many I needed per day to reduce blood glucose levels to 'normal'. I eat very well and do have meat occasionally .. perhaps two/three days each week, but I adore salads and veggie meals in between too. I find that I am spoiled for choice with foods and that is the fun part :D

Reactions: lucylocket61

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh I don’t fully agree. Boot Camp conjures up an image of a bullying sergeant major type from 1950s humiliating individuals to control them and make them compliant.:nailbiting:
To address the OP’s appraisal of finding the very low calorie phase as ‘extrememely difficult’, I think that depends on circumstances. Socially, it could be. Some people, even friends and people who care about you, often don’t fully understand and can try to tempt you to eat. So I chose a time when I could be fairly isolated. Except for a weekend away with friends. I sat through a wonderful evenening in an Indian restaurant with a group feasting on all sorts of wonderful curries, beers, naan breads the size of dustbin lids, as I sat sipping mineral water. This was about 4 weeks into my ND . I have to say that after the first couple of days I found it easy. Did not miss real food at all.The reason being, and I did not know it then, was that ketosis state prevented me feeling hungry. In fact I have never before or since felt as well as I did then. Possibly also a psychological response because I was seeing the good results of the downward trend in weight and BG.:)

Reactions: EllieM

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Oh I don’t fully agree. Boot Camp conjures up an image of a bullying sergeant major type from 1950s humiliating individuals to control them and make them compliant.:nailbiting:"
>----->
.:)
I have seen comments that this forum performs that function on occasions. You probably saw some while you were moderating? It is not something we want but it can occur.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done @A12345 . Anyone that can mentally and physically make that commitment deserves a positive clinical outcome; the bodybuilding Olympia has just taken place and those participants have to do a similar thing for circa 8 weeks.

It is not just the ND intervention that when used as tool needs a maintenance section once the goal is achieved - I believe this is some exercise and two thirds of the original meal size. I am aware that Eric Westman has said that a patient said his protocol worked and then stopped working when they no longer did it?! ...derrr

So, whilst I and everyone are delighted for you, a male cannot exist on 800 calories long term (cannot speak for women), so what comes next is vital for remission hopefully for ever.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe I should just add that I did not participate in this so called Newcastle Diet. I just read up on carbs and decided how many I needed per day to reduce blood glucose levels to 'normal'. I eat very well and do have meat occasionally .. perhaps two/three days each week, but I adore salads and veggie meals in between too. I find that I am spoiled for choice with foods and that is the fun part :D
I am happy to agree that low carb diets can lead to remission, but there are some here that will disagree. The OP in this thread was non specific, so congrats on your success.

I find Low Carb suitable for me too, and I do not starve either

Reactions: chani111

chani111

This is interesting, I am taking the low carb route, 8lbs lighter already and on target for hitting a normal BMI early next year. I am loosing between 1 to 2lbs a week which is sustainable and learning about what I can and can’t eat as I go along. The tortoise method works for me. Last night was a special occasion so I allowed myself a glass of wine for the first time in 4 months. Bloods have come down loads and I average 5.9 now. Nothing goes above 7 so I am happy. Try to do about 50g of carbs a day but don’t stress over it. As far as I am concerned it’s all learning. Ideally I will come of my meds eventually. Life is far too stressful and nearly losing my beautiful daughter this year made me get life in perspective. Good luck everyone. Weather you take the motorway route or the scenic route, see you when we get there

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is interesting, I am taking the low carb route, 8lbs lighter already and on target for hitting a normal BMI early next year. I am loosing between 1 to 2lbs a week which is sustainable and learning about what I can and can’t eat as I go along. The tortoise method works for me. Last night was a special occasion so I allowed myself a glass of wine for the first time in 4 months. Bloods have come down loads and I average 5.9 now. Nothing goes above 7 so I am happy. Try to do about 50g of carbs a day but don’t stress over it. As far as I am concerned it’s all learning. Ideally I will come of my meds eventually. Life is far too stressful and nearly losing my beautiful daughter this year made me get life in perspective. Good luck everyone. Weather you take the motorway route or the scenic route, see you when we get there
We must all do what suits us best, else we stall en route and stop doing the good bits. So hello, the tortoise is fine, that's how I did it. Well done.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I made an agreement with myself that if ever I started to go the wrong way in anything I have improved, I would not let the first of the following month go by without making an effort to change it back.
It has never needed to activate the protocol, but it is always there as backup.

Reactions: HSSS and Tannith

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think what we all have in common, no matter what diet choice to manage T2 is that we cannot take our successes for granted, and need to remain vigilant, forever, regarding making sure what we consume does not have an adverse effect on that management.

Tannith

BANNED
Hi guys,

Love from Sydney - Ash
I read about the ND and wanted to do a low cal diet that would lower my liver and pancreatic fat so as to achieve remission. I read up on many of Prof Taylor's scientific papers and found that he often said that it was "substantial weight loss" that was the key to success. I dislike the smell of shakes ( the woman I sat next to in the office used to have them for lunch sometimes), so I ate real food. And as I am a bit long in the tooth for extreme diets, I ate 1000 to 1200 calories . This worked for me and I am now in remission. I lowered my FBG from around 7.2 originally to a current 4.5 now.

[Mod edit to align with topic.]

Last edited by a moderator: