Reducing metformin

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi guys, just wondered who reduced or came off metformin, and when you started the levels where higher than usual. I’ve just started on 1 metformin in a morning and one at tea time, I was on 4 a day before. I understand the metformin has been helping, I eat low carb even though I hate it :( but it’s obviously working. Just wondered if anyone saw a raise in blood sugars at first after reducing or coming off, and how long it lasted.
Yesterday I was in the 12s, this morning I’m 9 but I also understand that the morning dump has occurred, and I don’t mean from me going to the toilet thanks in advance

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
For me the side effects of Metformin were unbearable and throwing them in the bin was one of the easiest decisions I've ever made. I did notice a slight increase in my levels but it was worth it to get my life back.
However I did not see any numbers as high as yours, if I had would have gone back to the dr's seeking an alternative.
I understand your wish to be free of medication but when you take into account your levels without it and the other beneficial effects that have been reported. It seems to me that If you can tolerate Metformin and it is working for you it would be unwise to reject it

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
For me the side effects of Metformin were unbearable and throwing them in the bin was one of the easiest decisions I've ever made. I did notice a slight increase in my levels but it was worth it to get my life back.
However I did not see any numbers as high as yours, if I had would have gone back to the dr's seeking an alternative.
I understand your wish to be free of medication but when you take into account your levels without it and the other beneficial effects that have been reported. It seems to me that If you can tolerate Metformin and it is working for you it would be unwise to reject it

I wanted to at least try a month in reduction, should I see 12 or above more than 7 days in a row I would go back on them straight away. I dropped back into 7s after my walk and breakfast, I’m not going to die with a few days of high levels, I went a year not knowing I was diabetic,with levels of 21 so im happy to try for it first. I’m usually in the 5s and 6s so i need to at least give it a go, which is why I’m asking if anyone has seen higher than usual at first reduction.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand your enthusiasm to be free of medication, @Dudette1 , and you have done so well with your management of your T2, in such a short time. I felt the same, and stopped metformin as soon as I had 2 years of non - diabetes BG levels. I hadn’t suffered any of the gastric problems many report, just hated being on medication. Levels did go up again. Possibly due to many factors, including long period of inactivity and the need for several major surgical procedures. Also hospital food and increased carbs in diet. So I gladly take Metformin again. Not just because of the higher BG levels, as I don’t think Metformin has that much impact. Just encourages me to keep on looking after myself. Also, I read about other benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7212476/

I
f my fasting levels were above 7-8 I wouldn’t consider stopping diabetes meds. That’s just me though. I probably would feel very different if I had the digestive effects some report.
Incidentally, what is it you hate about low carb diet? Perhaps need to look at what you can do to find something you like about that?

Buster_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been bringing BS levels down with low carb and weight loss. A few months ago my readings were mainly low 4's and beggining to drop into the 3's. I took that opportunity to halve my metformin, going from 2000mg to 1000mg daily. BS readings jumped just a little, to high 4's and the odd 5.

Levels continued to drop as I stuck with the low carb and lost more weight and are now back in the low 4's again. The final 1000mg of metformin is about to get the chop.

Reactions: Dudette1

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on Metformin for 10 years, DN recommended I come off fully after last HBa1c - I argued that they must be part of the reason that I have better control as control slipped when meds were changed to Sukkarto (didn't pass through consistently) and got better once I went back on to Metformin Sr without the shellac coating. I agreed to drop the dose but after going down to 3 pills rather than 4 it has been harder to keep the great numbers, now more along the satisfactory lines. So I haven't dropped any further yet. This reminds me I need to let the DN know...lol.
I am strict with my LC just in case you were wondering.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I understand your enthusiasm to be free of medication, @Dudette1 , and you have done so well with your management of your T2, in such a short time. I felt the same, and stopped metformin as soon as I had 2 years of non - diabetes BG levels. I hadn’t suffered any of the gastric problems many report, just hated being on medication. Levels did go up again. Possibly due to many factors, including long period of inactivity and the need for several major surgical procedures. Also hospital food and increased carbs in diet. So I gladly take Metformin again. Not just because of the higher BG levels, as I don’t think Metformin has that much impact. Just encourages me to keep on looking after myself. Also, I read about other benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7212476/

I
f my fasting levels were above 7-8 I wouldn’t consider stopping diabetes meds. That’s just me though. I probably would feel very different if I had the digestive effects some report.
Incidentally, what is it you hate about low carb diet? Perhaps need to look at what you can do to find something you like about that?

I understand all the benefits of metformin and I would happily take it for the rest of my life, the nurse wanted me to reduce it and see how I get on, I’m all for trying. What I hate about low carb is everything, I eat all different meals so it’s not repetitive, but….i want chips made with potatoes with my steak, I want mash and roast potatoes with a Sunday dinner, proper rice with a curry, spaghetti with a spag bol, a full pack of crisp, cereal, toast,pizza, kebab, I could go on forever. I’m at peace with low carb and know it’s better for me so I accept it. Nobody can convince me it’s enjoyable. Ive made lots of meals from websites and so on and they don’t taste the same and all the alternatives are rubbish, I want certain vegetables, high in carbs, certain fruit, high in carbs, it’s just boring,I only eat because I have too. cauliflower rice I stopped smoking, I stopped eating carbs, I just accept what is even though it doesn’t make me happy, but my health is important so here I am

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
I've been bringing BS levels down with low carb and weight loss. A few months ago my readings were mainly low 4's and beggining to drop into the 3's. I took that opportunity to halve my metformin, going from 2000mg to 1000mg daily. BS readings jumped just a little, to high 4's and the odd 5.

Levels continued to drop as I stuck with the low carb and lost more weight and are now back in the low 4's again. The final 1000mg of metformin is about to get the chop.

Well done

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After having such high levels for so long, maybe you need time for things to settle down.
I am over 4 years into normal figures and I am still seeing things change and improve - some of which I never expected to happen such as the recovery of my Thyroid after decades of inactivity and taking 200micrograms of Thyroxine I am now down to 125.
By checking using my meter I found that eating at 12 your intervals kept my BG most even, and I found that I seem to get more carbs from peas and beans than most people, so by eating morning and evening rather than fasting until lunch, and keeping my increases in BG low, I did not need to reduce my carbs but still saw numbers reducing.