reaction to meds etc

crumblecookie

Hi I was diagnosed in August ,it was great shock but I have got over it now. I am only type 2 and up to now I am just using diet control. My question is --has anyone had a bad reaction to a steroid injection using fluoroscopy ? I had one 2 months ago in my hip and spent the next two weeks feeling awful, faint, heart palpitations, sweating,temperature spikes and a general feeling of impending doom. Anyone out there who has experienced this and have they had another injection since. I don't feel as if I should risk it.
crumblecookie

MaryJ

Hi Crumblecrookie.

Welcome to the forum, can't help with your question I'm afraid just wanted to say hi.

Sure someone will be along before long who can help

Mary

crumblecookie

Thanks Mary, I am sure I will learn lots about my condition ( as I have been told to call it --not disease) I was so proud that with all my other problems I was not diabetic as all my blood tests had come back fine then Bombshell!! Diabetic but I am surprised that I only have to go see my DN every six months and no meds -another tablet wouldn't make a difference to the rest that I take. The nurse wasn't even bothered about me testing my blood sugar but no doubt everything will fall into place eventually. Thanks for my welcome Mary

SueR

I had a nasty reaction to a steroid injection when I had my knee drained - no idea what was injected into the knee, but it made me pretty ill.

I had a load of fluid removed from my right knee about 10 years ago and then steroids were injected into the joint to help. My BP shot up, I had palpitations, a nasty rash and felt very ill. The GP was on the point of sending me to hospital, but things settled down.

I now make everyone aware that I am allergic to steroids, as it's not an experience I want to go through again.

MaryJ

As you will see or have seen there is very haphazard approaches by hcp to testing.

I personnally couldnt have brought my figures down without measuring regularly. I'm still new to this but can catagorically say you must test, before food and 2 hours after.

Initally you'll get some surprise highs after certain foods (carbs) then you will know to remove them from your diet, or reduce the volume .

If you show your GP/DN you are intending to use the monitoring to help stop problems in the future you may find they come round to giving you the monitor/strips on prescription.

I managed to talk my gp round to prescriptions for strips by showing the graphs I had of the progress i was making. How i was using the info i.e. i know through testing i can handle 30g of pasta/rice/pots but can't eat any bread,porridge,cereal. I also showed him this website :D . If I'd done what they wanted ie eat 'normal' healthy diet and come back for another HBA1c 3 in 3 months I know for a fact i would have increased not decreased and that would mean meds - i dont want them!!!

good luck x

crumblecookie

I am so glad someone else has had a bad reaction to a steroid injection ( sorry that sounds rotten but I'm sure you know what I mean) My doctor has put on my notes that I am allergic so it will be red carded when I have to go into hospital and like you SueR I never want to go through that again. I hope your reaction didn't last too long mine lasted for 2 weeks, some days terrible some days not too bad.
Thanks also MaryJ for your help. I did try to test regularly at first then after visiting the DN I got the" can't be bothered bug" because of how she treated me. I have spoken to my Dr and he is happy for me to test and has said when I need strips I can order them. His opinion is that that the more regularly you test the more you learn about your body and how diabetes affects it. Seems as though I am a lucky one as other people in the same boat as me ( diet only ) have not been allowed to test. Some people have even bought their own meter/test strips. I know they are expensive but I do feel we should be given them.
Thanks again

SueR

I also seem to be allergic to Byetta - having been on it for 2 years and then having a bad reaction when they added insulin to my treatment. At the last appointment with my consultant, he explained that I had had an allergic reaction to it, which rather stunned me. I had been on the drug for 2 years and thought I'd have had a reaction long before then. Obviously not, as your body can take time to develop an allergy to meds.

I frequently get asked - by the health professionals - how I know I am allergic to these meds and once I reel of the list of the things that happened when I take them, I seem to be believed. I find this very annoying as I know exactly what can happen when I take certain drugs, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone I was allergic to something if I wasn't.

It's going to be fun when I have my lumbar puncture, as I am highly allergic to codeine - swollen lips, eyes and an itchy rash developing within seconds of me taking it - so sorting out a pain killer will be a challenge. This allergy means I can't take cough and cold preparations either.