coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Good morning everyone!
Today I'm in a baking frame of mind, ahead of the weekend.
I wish to bake some cakes but I also want my daughter to enjoy them.
Is there a sweetener that will fool her into thinking it's sugar?
It's only myself with diabetes and I bake for the two of us to enjoy, but I've not yet ever bought sweeteners.
Any advice to which would be the better choice to try please?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone!
Today I'm in a baking frame of mind, ahead of the weekend.
I wish to bake some cakes but I also want my daughter to enjoy them.
Is there a sweetener that will fool her into thinking it's sugar?
It's only myself with diabetes and I bake for the two of us to enjoy, but I've not yet ever bought sweeteners.
Any advice to which would be the better choice to try please?
Pure Via Stevia is actually a erythritol/stevia mix. Either sweetener is absolutely vile on their own, I feel, but when mixed properly like Pure Via does it, they're fine, especially when you're backing. Sukrin's alright too. Careful with xylitol, as that's toxic for pets.

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Pure Via Stevia is actually a erythritol/stevia mix. Either sweetener is absolutely vile on their own, I feel, but when mixed properly like Pure Via does it, they're fine, especially when you're backing. Sukrin's alright too. Careful with xylitol, as that's toxic for pets.
Thanks for your input Jo. Im quite nervous about buying a sweetener!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I use truvia or just erythritol - I find truvia has a sweet aftertaste from the stevia and erythritol on its own is not quite as sweet as sugar so use either erythritol or a mix of the two.

D

Deleted member 543160

ETA: Sorry I've just realised you posted over a week ago so I hope the baking went well, but maybe my info may come in useful sometime too.

One of the first things did after I got my overall glucose levels reasonably under control (7+ years back now) was to investigate alternative sweeteners to use in baking, and I've used erythritol/stevia combinations for most of that time. I'm happy to recommend:
  • Sukin products - (Scandinavian firm who used to have a UK site); available from Aamzon.co.uk, and in various guises white, brown, powdered... but can be expensive
  • Natvia from Amazon & various supermarkets -Tesco, Ocado; fairly expensive but the supermarkets sometimes have good offers; available in granulated and powdered though I've not seen the powdered for a while.
  • NKD Living (a newish UK company) available from Amazon and their own website: https://www.nkdliving.com/ - erythritol & stevia again in various forms; They appear to also sell Xylitol which is apparently great for baking - but can be lethal to dogs (causing hypos) in even small doses so has been a very definite NO from this devoted dog owner.
I currently use NKD granulated and brown in my baking and am happy with both types - but I'm not baking for anyone else...

And though you didn't ask: for flour I've used mainly ground almonds, usually coarser but cheaper than actual finely ground almond flour/meal - but I like it. I also use pecan meal, walnut meal, hazelnut meal for chocolate cakes with cocoa powder. Sesame flour is finely ground but I'd only use this one for savoury bakes, and coconut flour is also very fine, but I find it very hard to deal with as it seems to have a mind of its own while all the others behave as I expect them to!