Sweating - and a bit of support please

SOTR

I got a fresh Freestyle Libre and have been over 12 mmol/litre for the last 24 hours. I am feeling a bit down as I have been following a low carb diet for several months now. I am worried there is something else wrong with me.
I do drink wine, and have a habit now of waking at 1am in a sweat.
I take little exercise - I know this is wrong but I work from home and it is so easy not to do anything.

I just walked to the chemist and back for a prescription and ended up in a weat again.
The good news is that my blood sugar went down to 10.6 after the walk.
I guess I should listen to myself and do more exercise alongside the low carb diet.

Hotpepper20000

There are many low carb definitions.
Could you please give us an example of what you eat in a typical day? Maybe we can help.

Is it possible that you are fighting a cold or other infection?? This would also rise your blood sugar.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you may have an underlying infection. Or it may be the disturbed sleep affecting you.
i would contact my GP if just for reassurance, even the anxiety of what is going on can raise your levels.

SOTR

Thankyou. Today I have eaten:
small bowl natural yoghurt at 7am
Mid morning - cheese
Lunch - a small amount of roasted chicken with onion and mayo
Afternoon - more cheese and smoked sausage
Dinner will be roasted squash which I have just done, plus the rest of the roast chicken

Thanks for thinking of an infection - but this waking up in a sweat has been going on for months

Reactions: Barbara93

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
.Hi, sorry you are struggling, if you are eating very low carb and still getting high numbers you may need some more help with medication, worth a visit to see doctor or diabetic nurse? Yup exercise is great, this isn’t great news if you struggle to find the motivation, maybe let the libre be your personal trainer? I can definitely remember reading something about excessive sweating on here, maybe worth searching, I’ve been in a situation when I was trying my best but nothing was working, it’s very tough, I hope you find a path that suits you or get some help, best wishes

Reactions: EllieM

JoRaP

I have been told that night sweats are very common with high BG. That is how I was diagnosed as they did blood tests to rule out a few nasties but it was a shock to be told my BG was 72. Since doing the 800Fast diet for a couple of weeks the sweats have gone along with a stone in weight!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning - cheese
Dinner will be roasted squash which I have just done, plus the rest of the roast chicken

Thanks for thinking of an infection - but this waking up in a sweat has been going on for months
High or low blood sugars can cause night sweats, as can some medication. Did anything change in your medicinal regime lately? Considering what you're eating, you're rather high, so there may indeed be something else going on. Best bet? See your GP and get a once-over. Maybe ask for c-peptide and GAD tests to make sure you're not misdiagnosed as T2.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning - cheese

I am in the middle of another run of night sweats - soaked t-shirts are standard. I've been having them off and on for about seven years now. I've tried a lot of things (alcohol/no alcohol, bit of carb,/bit of cheese etc) and nothing appears to have a reliable impact.

They used to go along with vivid nightmares and 3am waking, but I seem either to be not having them or (more likely) to be sleeping through those now. They might be associated with my liver trying to be helpful and dumping glucose - classic dawn phenomenon. My tested BG is usually somewhere between 4.5-5.5, so neither too high nor too low, but I probably drop low enough overnight to trigger the dump. Personally, as long as I'm not being woken up at stupid o'clock, it's not so bad.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got a fresh Freestyle Libre and have been over 12 mmol/litre for the last 24 hours

Hi there, apologies if this sounds obvious but have you followed any of those 12s up with a finger prick? I find that a newly placed libre reads either lower or higher than usual for up to the first 24 hours, I think that's why some people place it on their arm but don't activate it for 24 hours so it can bed in. Admittedly, a reading of 12 constantly would be one big error if you were actually in single figures but it's still worth thinking about. If it is ever out Libre usually send another one.

SOTR

Thankyou KK123 Actually my readings DID go down the day after the Libre was attached and started. Maybe I will attach it and leave it for a few hours next time. The app has you attach and take readings after 1 hour. Maybe fo rme it needs longer to settle in.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Night sweats are a very common symptom of the menopause....
Basis is hormonal not necessarily insulin or glucose

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning - cheese

Hubby used to wake up in a sweat for months too when he was your age. It stopped eventually. He isn't diabetic. We think it was probably male menopause.