Lentils, yes or no? ……..

JayBee28

Hi all,

I am recently diagnosed, 4 weeks and still learning what to have. I have cut out carbs, upped protein and above ground veg and healthy fats. I am also eating more eggs than I’ve ever done. I do feel so much better.

I love lentils, but see they are high carbs. However, they have a low glycemic index. Does anybody have any experience of eating lentils and what happened to their levels.

Thanks in advance.

Janet

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I am recently diagnosed, 4 weeks and still learning what to have. I have cut out carbs, upped protein and above ground veg and healthy fats. I am also eating more eggs than I’ve ever done. I do feel so much better.

I love lentils, but see they are high carbs. However, they have a low glycemic index. Does anybody have any experience of eating lentils and what happened to their levels.

Thanks in advance.

Janet
I eat lentils but I restrict the amount. I have found some lentils are better than others, Puy lentils being the best. They seem to be one of those foods that affect people very differently so you will need to experiment.
upload_2021-10-19_20-7-32.png

Reactions: JayBee28

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best to try and see on your monitor how they affect your blood sugar levels. I don't really see a rise when I eat lentils.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to test to find out how they affect you.
I seem to get more carbs than advertised out of peas and beans - I tested several times always with the same result so now I eat only a small portion as I need to count them at 180 percent of what is on the packet.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Janet

Lentil soup is one of my staples. I have inherited the recipe from my grandmother. They are high in iron, and other nutrients, easy to make, and versatile. I don't find their carb higher than other legume types, and I can eat a small bowl as a meal in itself.

Reactions: JayBee28

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
If you are puréeing your lentil soup that will increase the GI. I can manage a small portion of whole lentils, usually served with a fat sausage, but lentil soup gets a different response.
You might be lucky, see what your meter says about it, if you have one.