Levels and COVID-19 vaccination

CaCl19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, has anyone else had a problem with levels after having jab.
My readings went high 14/15 for a few days after. DN said it was good as it meant my body was making antibodies same as it would if I was unwell.
Unfortunately after a few days levels dropped back but not too previous levels now 8 to9 during day. It was 5.5 to 7.
I am on Hunulin 1 twice daily. And Dulaglutide once a week.
Apart from cutting down on food which is my normal way of dealing with rises and which the DN tells me off for (always getting told off) Has anyone got any ideas

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings went high 14/15 for a few days after. DN said it was good as it meant my body was making antibodies same as it would if I was unwell.
Unfortunately after a few days levels dropped back but not too previous levels now 8 to9 during day. It was 5.5 to 7.
Apart from cutting down on food which is my normal way of dealing with rises and which the DN tells me off for (always getting told off) Has anyone got any ideas
If you have been cutting down your food to try to deal with your rise then yes, your levels will drop.

Just go back to your previous meals, things will level off again soon.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
My glucose levels increased afterward (9-12mmol) and are finally starting to get back to my normal Type 2 level.

I had my first shot (AstraZeneca) on April 6th. Unfortunately, 8 hours later, I had a strong adverse reaction to it that required an ambulance ride, advised by the attending EMT after checking me out, to the Emerg at our hospital. The reason, unknown. I may have had an underlying condition as I landed up with a UTI showing in the blood test results from during that night (had to take Cipro for a week to clear that up). All other blood tests were normal except they said that I might have Type 2 Diabetes (no kidding, Sherlock LOL) because of my HbA1C. 104F temp (until next morning), delirium, extreme weakness, tachycardia, increased blood pressure, heavy shaking chills, but no headache or indication of that rare blood clot (my age, 73, and good platelet count made that almost impossible). Chest X-rays were taken and the result was OK. I have never reacted to a vaccine or any kind before in my life so this was a surprise. Back home the next day and a 2-week recovery until I felt almost normal again. Still a bit lethargic 7 weeks later, but full energy returning.

Now, that all said, I am anxiously waiting for the opportunity for my 2nd shot - definitely want it. Debating whether to challenge the AZ again or use Pfizer or Moderna. They have both been cleared for AZ recipients, here in Canada, as a 2nd shot. I can't get until 1st half of July, as they extended the time period for 2nd shots here due to low vaccine supply, so enough time to see the data from both AZ 2nd shot or using Pfizer/Moderna as 2nd shot. I just don't want to go through that experience again.

At least I work from home (and have for 20 yrs) so both the lockdowns and my AZ reaction have not affected me to speak of.

Anybody else with a similar experience?
Anyone that had AZ using Pfizer or Moderna for their 2nd shot?

Last edited:

jof1025

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I too since being hospitalised with Covid have had continuous high readings. It’s as if my body’s not reacting properly to my insulin injections.
I’ve got my diabetes review @ the hospital on Thursday so I’ll let you know what I get told.

grestyman

My Hb1AC has gone from 6.3 to 7.2 after the first vaccine Pfizer and then after the second jab upto 8.0. Ive never been that high in 15 years of type 2. Anyone else getting similar results?

hiswitzend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just had my Hb1AC and it is 62mmol i have been sitting at about 50 for ages, alarm bells sounding i spoke to the doctors and was told yes it was alerted as abnormal but i did have to worry about it, no mention that this may be the result of the Pfizer Vaccine

I am type 2

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have just had my Hb1AC and it is 62mmol i have been sitting at about 50 for ages, alarm bells sounding i spoke to the doctors and was told yes it was alerted as abnormal but i did have to worry about it, no mention that this may be the result of the Pfizer Vaccine

I am type 2

Hi and welcome to the forums. When did you have the vaccine? An hba1c is a reflection of your average blood sugar over the last 3 months.

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes

I am type 2
When I talk to Diabetics that I know or just meet (example: education meetings about Diabetes), I remind them that there is not any cure for Diabetes - you will always have it. You may go into remission (like you being at 50 mmol - envious BTW). You will see ups and downs as a Type 2 and that could happen due to diet (even a small but consistent change), weight, or - we all hate to admit it - "age". An upward change in your HbA1C should indicate a review of your past 3-6 months and any changes in diet, lifestyle, exercise, ailments/sickness, etc. Diabetes affects our organs and changes may be happening that are not obvious. How is your eGFR, Creatinine, etc?

Jibba Jabba

my readings were raised for around 4 weeks after the second Pfizer jab. Anything between 7 to 9. They seem to have levelled out now. I tried to tell myself it was more than likely down to the vaccine and to not read too much into it. If they’d have carried on longer than the four weeks I would have contacted my GP.

Keano100

I’m sure it played a part in my original diagnosis. I had first jab and then blood tests 3 days later. Blood sugar was 16 and Hbac 101. I have worked hard got blood sugar right down In about 10 days and just had last Hb test was 52. Having 2nd shot on Sunday very interested to see what happens.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m sure it played a part in my original diagnosis. I had first jab and then blood tests 3 days later. Blood sugar was 16 and Hbac 101. I have worked hard got blood sugar right down In about 10 days and just had last Hb test was 52. Having 2nd shot on Sunday very interested to see what happens.
Your original Hba1c for diagnosis covers three previous months of blood sugar levels, so being vaccinated three days before the test would have had little effect on the results.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Can we stick to the topic regarding observations on BG changes corresponding with the vaccination.
Further bickering on speculation will be deleted without hesitation..
There have already been posts removed for the above transgressions & further sanctions will be levied too
for any member breaching the rule.

Thanx in advance.

Last edited:

Peadair O Brionn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having diabetes...... people who wear backpacks on the tube
Ive just had my booster jab which was Pfizer and my bg readings are elevated up to high 6s low 7s .when I had the Astra Zenneca jabs earlier in the year , both jabs . There was little or no effect .

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
A follow-up to my 1st shot in May and then asking in June about the 2nd shot after I had AstraZeneca for my 1st shot.

My 2nd Covid vaccine shot was Pfizer in July and, except for the typical soreness at the point of injection, no changes in my levels and no reactions. End of this week I go for my flu shot ... I wonder if that will affect things - but that will be another thread topic :)