Instant Mash

gooner10

Good Morning folks. Anything potato is a big No No for me as it really raises my BS. but instant mash does not (Thankfully I like it ) Does anyone else use it ?

Reactions: coby

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mashing potatoes increases their GI. I imagine instant mash is even more finely "mashed". Maybe the spike occurs so soon after eating that you miss it when testing?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mashing potatoes increases their GI. I imagine instant mash is even more finely "mashed". Maybe the spike occurs so soon after eating that you miss it when testing?
Or there's not much actual potato in it ......

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Good Morning folks. Anything potato is a big No No for me as it really raises my BS. but instant mash does not (Thankfully I like it ) Does anyone else use it ?
Never tried that and like most on here I cannot tolerate potato sadly. BUT! I have discovered something even tastier!!! If you have a blender then try well cooked cauliflower florets (minus most of the stalk bits) with a tablesp of both butter and cream cheese, plus a touch of garlic. Blend for couple of mins and I tell you it is amazing! Just like eating cheesy mash

Last edited:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I've had a quick Google for the carb content of various brands and they seem to range from 25 to 35g per serving so as with anything else the impact on bg would be down to how much of the stuff you have. The ingredients would put me off, lots of thing I would have trouble pronouncing. If I can't say it I'm not eating it.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've had a quick Google for the carb content of various brands and they seem to range from 25 to 35g per serving so as with anything else the impact on bg would be down to how much of the stuff you have. The ingredients would put me off, lots of thing I would have trouble pronouncing. If I can't say it I'm not eating it.
I know what you mean about the unpronounceable added ingredients @catinahat !!!

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What about Celeriac, anyone tried it? I love it but not sure if it fits my Low Carb Diet?

Reactions: Dudette1

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was never keen on instant mash back when it was fashionable, but it could be the resistant starch thingy, most spuds are out for me, but I can do a couple of tinned potatoes (weird I know) and put this down to the resistant starch effect

Reactions: lovinglife

Nobbyk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Testing tonight ;-) It's supposed to be very low carb and very good in many other ways :) 5.9g per 100g

Reactions: EllieM

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing tonight ;-) It's supposed to be very low carb and very good in many other ways :) 5.9g per 100g
Celeriac dauphinoise is very good and celeriac chips go very well with fish.

Reactions: EllieM

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
What about Celeriac, anyone tried it? I love it but not sure if it fits my Low Carb Diet?

Another vote for mashed celeriac from me, delicious and around 2g of carbs per 100g so fits well in a low carb diet and much tastier than spuds

Reactions: gooner10

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I use celeriac mash as a substitute for potato mash.
I like it and it doesn't seem to spike me.

Gracie204

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love instant mashed potato, both for taste and ease of use, but have never used it thinking it would raise my blood glucose levels. I'll have to experiment and see if it does affect my BG levels.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Never tried that and like most on here I cannot tolerate potato sadly. BUT! I have discovered something even tastier!!! If you have a blender then try well cooked cauliflower florets (minus most of the stalk bits) with a tablesp of both butter and cream cheese, plus a touch of garlic. Blend for couple of mins and I tell you it is amazing! Just like eating cheesy mash
Just off to get the blender out......:)

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
You'll not regret it :D
Only have frozen cauliflower at the moment but I am having it with my dinner later on :smug:

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Only have frozen cauliflower at the moment but I am having it with my dinner later on :smug:
I buy a fresh head of cauliflower and it makes enough for three or four meals for me, and freezes well too if required. Mine doesn't last long enough to freeze so I keep in the fridge :)

Reactions: Lainie71