New to blood testing

ljdub

I have just done my first blood meter reading and it is at 7.9mmol/L, this is just before breakfast so understand I need to do one in 2hrs but is this reading ok as I have had a coffee earlier so would this affect it on anyway.

Also what sort of spike should I be looking at safely

Thanks in advance

Reactions: Eddie65

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just done my first blood meter reading and it is at 7.9mmol/L, this is just before breakfast so understand I need to do one in 2hrs but is this reading ok as I have had a coffee earlier so would this affect it on anyway.

Also what sort of spike should I be looking at safely

Thanks in advance
Coffee is a stimulant and could trigger a bit of a glucose dump from the liver. It doesn't have to, it doesn't for some, but others notice a bit of a rise after caffeine. On top of that, in the morning you might experience Dawn Phenomenon, when the liver dumps glucose just to give you energy to start the day. Forgive it, it thinks it's being helpful. ;) So for someone just starting out, 7,9 mmol in the a.m. and after coffee sounds not too dramatic. Morning glucose is the last to come down, after all. You'll test again 2 hours after the first bite, and you're looking for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol/l. Preferably less of course. If it's over that, the meal contained more carbs than you could process, and needs rethinking/tweaking. If you remained at or under 2.0 mmol/l, it's a meal that's safe to repeat. :)

Reactions: LeftPeg

ljdub

Great thanks, had 2 slices of brown bread boiled eggs and bacon, let’s see what the result is.

All trial and error to begin with is what I keep reading

Thanks again

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thanks, had 2 slices of brown bread boiled eggs and bacon, let’s see what the result is.

Thanks again

That's a great experiment.. maybe tomorrow try the same thing without the bread and see what the result is.

Reactions: EllieM and ljdub

ljdub

Thanks again

So have just fone the prick test after 2 hrs after having the above and it was 9.4mmol/L, so assuuming this is a spike below 2 then this should be fine?

how do people log these results, is there an app that does it?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So have just fone the prick test after 2 hrs after having the above and it was 9.4mmol/L, so assuuming this is a spike below 2 then this should be fine?

You can use the MySugr app, if you log enough it'll even spit out a somewhat accurate HbA1c estimate. And yes, it's below 2.0, so this is okay. Technically speaking you shouldn't go over 8,5, but you're just starting out and as you keep blood sugars from spiking badly after eating, it should all come down eventually. Not overnight, but... You'll see the difference soon, I'm sure.

Reactions: Jak13 and ljdub

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The slight problem with your meal is it contained fats in the eggs and bacon and carbs in the bread.. the fats could smooth out the spike making your higher blood sugar last longer.. maybe try testing at 3 and 4 hours as well.

I'd be wary of this result.

Maybe tomorrow try just the bacon and eggs and see what happens, then the day after try the 2 slices of toast without the bacon and eggs. You might be one of the "lucky" ones who can eat bread although I wouldn't recommend it.

As for recording I keep all my data in a spreadsheet with testing times, the finger used and a food diary.

ljdub

The slight problem with your meal is it contained fats in the eggs and bacon and carbs in the bread.. the fats could smooth out the spike making your higher blood sugar last longer.. maybe try testing at 3 and 4 hours as well.

I'd be wary of this result.

Maybe tomorrow try just the bacon and eggs and see what happens, then the day after try the 2 slices of toast without the bacon and eggs. You might be one of the "lucky" ones who can eat bread although I wouldn't recommend it.

As for recording I keep all my data in a spreadsheet with testing times, the finger used and a food diary.

OK thanks for the heads up, just done a 3hr one and it has dropped to 7.0, but will do a comparison tomorrow but cant be eating eggs and bacon everyday :)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK thanks for the heads up, just done a 3hr one and it has dropped to 7.0, but will do a comparison tomorrow but cant be eating eggs and bacon everyday :)
..I just put mine away (breakfast/lunch at 13:30), two kinds of bacon, ham, goats' cheese and eggs. Usually have a variety thereof every day. Not bored yet. :)

Jak13

These threads are so informative, I’m so glad I stumbled on this site, for the last 4 years I’ve been stumbling around in the dark! Thank you!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These threads are so informative, I’m so glad I stumbled on this site, for the last 4 years I’ve been stumbling around in the dark! Thank you!
Illumination is power and taking control of your own health is great.