Aspirin !

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interesting .Are you still taking it or any other blood thinner because of your stent ?
The doctor took me of aspirin after a while: I was also taking clopidogrel and (If I remember correctly) ticagrelor. Right now I'm still on clopidogrel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve never been given it for T2, my late dad who was diagnosed with T2 in the early 90s was prescribed it as routine for T2s but was taken off it a few years later by GP who said they were taking everyone off daily aspirin as a new protocol, the only patients to remain on it were people who had already had a stroke or heart attack- for anyone else it was pointless and even dangerous.

gooner10

I’ve never been given it for T2, my late dad who was diagnosed with T2 in the early 90s was prescribed it as routine for T2s but was taken off it a few years later by GP who said they were taking everyone off daily aspirin as a new protocol, the only patients to remain on it were people who had already had a stroke or heart attack- for anyone else it was pointless and even dangerous.
That is very interesting as I had no other heath conditions when I was diagnosed in 2008, and even though I was on it plus a statin up until 2015 when I developed angina, both meds seemed pretty pointless to prevent clogged arteries up to then !!

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Never mentioned I should take it for diabetes, perhaps it should have been as I’ve had/have heart problems now, taking it for that. I’ve given up fighting against meds, I’m defeated, I just take whatever they give me now lol

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Very Interesting. Do you not take anything for blood thinning ?

No.
I've never seen the need as my weight is normal and my blood pressure is normal.

Reactions: gooner10

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was not prescribed Aspirin when first diagnosed T2, as I was already taking my alter ego Xaralto which is a anti coagulant.

Tannith

BANNED
I started aspirin 75mg in 2005 as part of my diabetes treatment (along with ACE inhibitor for reno-protection.)
Aspirin 150mg in 2007 following four strokes.
Aspirin changed to dipyridamole in 2020 following large bleed from my stomach cancer.
Really, the antiplatelet is now for diabetes and strokes.
I am more worried about another stroke than another bleed.
I have never heard of aspirin for stomach cancer. How long have you had stomach cancer? Do you think the aspirin made it worse, or just made it bleed? My son had stomach cancer. He took NSAIDS for a longish period for pain relief from injuries following a road accident. But never daily as a prophylactic.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never heard of aspirin for stomach cancer. How long have you had stomach cancer? Do you think the aspirin made it worse, or just made it bleed?
@Struma exolained here that he was taken off Aspirin after a large bleed.
Aspirin 150mg in 2007 following four strokes.
Aspirin changed to dipyridamole in 2020 following large bleed from my stomach cancer.
Much the same as me, I stopped taking Xaralto because I have bowel cancer that's bleeding from a large polyp.