Dr Kendrick and Vitamins

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only Dr K were CMO.. what a wonderful place the UK would be and the NHS likely "saved".

Reactions: OrsonKartt

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
TLDR, got to the vitamin D part and woke up 15 minutes later. I do take a vitamin C most days, should I continue?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Bye the Bye taking large amounts of vitamin C can skew readings of Libre sensor.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bye the Bye taking large amounts of vitamin C can skew readings of Libre sensor.
As with large amounts of many things I would think.
What do you consider large amounts of Vit C? (Not that I have a Libre, but others have)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Actually I was speaking generally almost any amount of vitamin C suplimentation can alter the readings on a CGM but the more you take the greater the alteration and yes other things can alter cgm readings as well such as ibuprofen.paracetomol and aspirin.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TLDR, got to the vitamin D part and woke up 15 minutes later. I do take a vitamin C most days, should I continue?
TLDR is symptomatic of our 'immediate', txt spk world.
If it hasn't got a Kardashian rear end or smilie, most people don't take any notice.

You may have been joking here, but if someone, even as well-read, well-qualified and impartial as D Kendrick, came out and said in one sentence that you should take various vitamins (as an ultra-cheap immune booster), you wouldn't take any notice without an explanation. But, now he offers a detailed explanation, it's too long to read!
So we rely on others to read articles like this and pass the information on. Now we're relying on someone else's interpretation and it's open to 'modification'.
In this case, EllieM is spot on, but too often, too many of us rely on 2nd or 3rd hand information which has often been through a propaganda mill.
I feel that we should take we should be accountable for ourselves rather than relying on headlines.

Reactions: OrsonKartt and HSSS

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually I was speaking generally almost any amount of vitamin C suplimentation can alter the readings on a CGM but the more you take the greater the alteration and yes other things can alter cgm readings as well such as ibuprofen.paracetomol and aspirin.
What causes the alteration?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
TLDR is symptomatic of our 'immediate', txt spk world.
If it hasn't got a Kardashian rear end or smilie, most people don't take any notice.

You may have been joking here, but if someone, even as well-read, well-qualified and impartial as D Kendrick, came out and said in one sentence that you should take various vitamins (as an ultra-cheap immune booster), you wouldn't take any notice without an explanation. But, now he offers a detailed explanation, it's too long to read!
So we rely on others to read articles like this and pass the information on. Now we're relying on someone else's interpretation and it's open to 'modification'.
In this case, EllieM is spot on, but too often, too many of us rely on 2nd or 3rd hand information which has often been through a propaganda mill.
I feel that we should take we should be accountable for ourselves rather than relying on headlines.
Agreed. Headlines and summaries are good for getting the idea a concept warrants investigation of our own. (You don’t know what you don’t know existed otherwise) but shouldn’t be the basis of actions alone imo.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What causes the alteration?
CGMs work by an enzyme on the probe reacting to chemicals in the interstitial fluid resulting in a small electric current that the sensor measures. Ideally the chemical would just be glucose but it is not difficult to imagine the other chemicals that you have ingested could affect the enzyme in some way.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
From what I have read certain drugs and suppliments alter the composition of interstitial fluids which is what the libre and other cgms sample., it is just something to be aware of when having doubts about or questioning the accuracy of the system

"
Intake of typical therapeutic doses of ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), such as in a multivitamin, should have minimal impact on sensor glucose readings. At high intake level, ascorbic acid may raise sensor glucose readings. While wearing the sensor, patients should not take high concentrations of Vitamin C (>1000 mg) to ensure accuracy of the sensor.2
With intake of typical therapeutic doses of salicylic acid (used in Aspirin), 80–325mg, there is no therapeutic treatment difference. At high salicylic acid concentration levels (>650 mg), sensor glucose readings may be lower."

from here
https://provider.myfreestyle.com/faq.html

Last edited: