Awful cramp at night…..

JayBee28

Good morning all,

I’m just about to start my 5th week of My Type 2 Journey. HBA1C was 51 when I started.

From day 1 I have cut out all sweets, biscuits, chocolate, sugar in tea etc along with all carbs. I tried porridge once 2 weeks ago with almond milk as an experiment to see how I reacted and it was a disaster BG up to 13. I’ve upped protein and I must have 10 of my 5 a day the amount of veg and salad I’m eating. Fruit wise I eat mostly berries now and the occasional plum and have included almonds and walnuts in my diet which have been a revelation. 85% of the time I go in between meals without snacking, this is where a few nuts come in handy. Whereas before, I would snack all the time. I go for a walk at least 4 times a week and have upped my water intake. I’ve only lost 10 pounds so far (plenty more to go). My BG levels are generally in the sixes in the morning and before meals with a little spike after eating, max 2.When I first got my monitor I was horrified that readings were between 11-12. The only symptom I had was feeling tired.

To be honest I feel 100% better, I’ve so much more energy and the no carb thing is so much easier than I thought. I think I’ve made a good start, I have my first full proper check with the diabetic nurse in a few weeks.

HOWEVER, I am getting cramp really bad at night which is horrendous. I was up three times in tears last night it was so painful. I’m not sure if I’m doing anything wrong or need to take any supplements. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Have a good weekend.

Thank you,

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done so far. I started diabetone. My cramps stopped, I think it is the magnesium.

Reactions: JayBee28

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got cramp in my feet and ankles in bed at night when I first went low carb, mine seemed to be due to magnesium deficiency. I solved it by using magnesium spray just before I went to bed. Apparently magnesium is better absorbed through the skin than if taken by mouth.

JayBee28

I got cramp in my feet and ankles in bed at night when I first went low carb, mine seemed to be due to magnesium deficiency. I solved it by using magnesium spray just before I went to bed. Apparently magnesium is better absorbed through the skin than if taken by mouth.
Brilliant, thank you. I had read something about magnesium. I will look it up. Much appreciated. How long did you use it for?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Cramp is quite a common problem when starting out on a low carb lifestyle. High processed foods are stuffed with salt, when we go low carb it's usually these salt laden foods that we avoid. So usually just making sure you get enough salt in your diet will sort out the cramps

JayBee28

Cramp is quite a common problem when starting out on a low carb lifestyle. High processed foods are stuffed with salt, when we go low carb it's usually these salt laden foods that we avoid. So usually just making sure you get enough salt in your diet will sort out the cramps
Thank you, I add a bit of salt as seasoning when I cook, but never add it afterwards to a meal. Maybe I’ll add a bit after as I cook everything from fresh now. Thank you.

Reactions: catinahat

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant, thank you. I had read something about magnesium. I will look it up. Much appreciated. How long did you use it for?
I can’t really remember, but I still use it occasionally. I don’t use much salt in my diet but if I do I use pink Himalayan salt which contains magnesium

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Might (most likely) be daft questions but i am recently diagnosed (T2). My mood, depression is on its backside of late, feeling so low. Also, I feel nauseous too! Is this common with diabetes or is it just me?? Thanks in advance, have a great weekend everyone :):)

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Not a daft question at all. Diagnosis usually brings a whole bag full of emotions, anger, denial, self loathing feeling like the life you know has gone forever it can almost be compared to grief. You would have to be a robot not to be affected. Give yourself some time, it does get easier

Reactions: Higaomo

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Not a daft question at all. Diagnosis usually brings a whole bag full of emotions, anger, denial, self loathing feeling like the life you know has gone forever it can almost be compared to grief. You would have to be a robot not to be affected. Give yourself some time, it does get easier

Thanks for your support, I guess it'll all fall into place. :):)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Use magnesium (malate and Glycinate) as well as potassium to ward off cramps. For good measure I have a couple of large glasses of iced water with a decent pinch of pink salt and the juice of half a lime added - delicious, refreshing and helps to keep electrolytes in balance. Also add plenty of salt to meals.

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At hollard and barrets its get one and other item 1pence at the moment. I take 200mg at night and stopped my years of cramps in lower limbs and feet :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I take magnesium supplements daily since a bariatric bypass so my nurse asked me to try Quinine. It works brilliantly. Obviously magnesium was already ingested and blood tests showed good levels first too.
Just wanted to cover another basis here.

First check is on your magnesium loss from low carb eating. I low carb too. At first less salt made me dizzy and needing my blood pressure and thyroid tablets reduced before palpitations reduced.
We are all different and some have more alterations needed and benefits than others.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Might (most likely) be daft questions but i am recently diagnosed (T2). My mood, depression is on its backside of late, feeling so low. Also, I feel nauseous too! Is this common with diabetes or is it just me?? Thanks in advance, have a great weekend everyone :):)
I had that too; being depressed after diagnosis is pretty common, but I started feeling a lot better once I got my sugars under control and lost some weight. I'd been feeling terrible for a long time- overweight, bad eyesight, tired and thirsty all the time, so being able to get on top of it was a silver-lining. I think you'll be similar. Come back on the site and chat if you're not feeling great though- you've got friends here who have gone through the same sort of thing.

JayBee28

No question is a daft question. To be honest, I’m only 5 weeks in and still a bit shell shocked. This week I’ve felt better as body seems to be settling down to the regime. We are all different and there’s no right or wrong way how we should feel. This forum is brilliant. Good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was having a bleep too and put mine down to lack of sunshine. I've been sitting in sun alot lately but not so much/never now. I was thinking maybe I have mild S.A.D? I have been taking vitD for a few years as I needed it medically so not low (which is backed up by a blood test). These dark early evenings seems to have snucked back in very quickly.
Mine you very low good bgs can leave me feeling low too.
I've been reminded this week that low bgs which cause hypos are linked to Alzheimer's earlier. That brain damage is caused by hypo after hypo.
Which explains alot... for me and how bonkers I'm getting. Ha ha.
Ps. Nausea can be if you're not eating enough. So look after yourself.. well.