New prediabetic - Advice on eating & snacking

Helen100%

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that must have been an amazing moment. It really shows what can be done. I think the nurse yesterday was being cautious, not wanting to give false hope just in case there were factors other than diet involved - you are the other side of the coin, showing what can be achieved. This is why I'm glad to have looked into it myself - to get a much broader picture. I also wonder if she was talking more about my cholesterol reading? I think she might already have me lined up for steroids - I'm hoping to dodge them if I can. At the moment I'm optimistic, I'm really hoping I still feel that way after my next blood tests!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Helen100% I think you mean statins.
I reacted badly to the Metformin, but the Atorvastatin was not good news either.
I sing English and Scottish folk songs and I forgot all the words - I had to relearn over 300 songs. Luckily my daughter had asked me to write down the words for posterity, so I had them to refer to.
I still don't remember how to play my guitar, though I have taken up the melodeon in the mean time. I still read things I wrote and do not remember them, from before diagnosis.
I have yet to see anything other than claims that cholesterol should be regarded as dangerous.
On Twitter I read that a cardiologist was puzzled that over 60 percent of his patients had below average cholesterol readings - he could not bring it to the attention of the hospital management for fear of being dismissed.

Reactions: Helen100%

Helen100%

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - yes I did mean statins, ha ha and I've not even taken any. Your experience makes me even more keen to avoid them if I can. I saw something in on online tabloid the other week which suggested every one over a certain age should be given them as a precaution. Oh - I ordered a Tee2plus today. I'll be interested to see whether my morning strong (instant) coffee habit has an impact on blood sugar

Madisons

Hi again, have been off for awhile, going through alot of issues at the moment. Got 6-months blood results back and was devastated to find that H1c did not improve at all, despite my cutting out of complex carbs (love for quinoa and brown rice and gluten-free pasta went cold turkey), all fruit, and all legumes. On top of it, high cholesteral and fatty liver.....so, GP basically said KETO is a big fat NO, since red meat, cheese, and all full-fat is NOT good for cholesteral and fatty liver, fine for weight loss, but not when you have those conditions. Really don't know what to eat now. A Mediterranean diet is recommended, but how can I have legumes when I am prediabetic? There is really nothing left to eat but rabbit food in my case. I am running on empty. I can't even sleep a full 4 hour night, don't even know how I am surviving. Just waiting for the day when I have a panic attack and break down for good.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again, have been off for awhile, going through alot of issues at the moment. Got 6-months blood results back and was devastated to find that H1c did not improve at all, despite my cutting out of complex carbs (love for quinoa and brown rice and gluten-free pasta went cold turkey), all fruit, and all legumes. On top of it, high cholesteral and fatty liver.....so, GP basically said KETO is a big fat NO, since red meat, cheese, and all full-fat is NOT good for cholesteral and fatty liver, fine for weight loss, but not when you have those conditions. Really don't know what to eat now. A Mediterranean diet is recommended, but how can I have legumes when I am prediabetic? There is really nothing left to eat but rabbit food in my case. I am running on empty. I can't even sleep a full 4 hour night, don't even know how I am surviving. Just waiting for the day when I have a panic attack and break down for good.
My endo told me there was nothing to be done about my fatty liver disease, and he'd see me again for pain management when it turned to cirrhosis. Which would eventually kill me. It is through keto that I got the fat stacked on my liver to buzz off. My liver values are normal now, my cholesterol is fine (it was high), and my blood sugars are excellent too. Most of the cholesterol that goes around our bloodstream we make ourselves, it's not in what we eat, that's just a fraction of it... I don't know what he expects you to live on, honestly! And with a Mediterranean diet they usually mean low carb, so... Talk about mixed signals!

Going low carb saved my life. If my liver wasn't bound to kill me before it got so far, I would be on insulin now. What are you eating now, maybe there's hidden carbs somewhere? If you still want to continue, of course...

Reactions: Joona

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't upset yourself unnecessarily: you aren't restricted to 'Rabbit food" as such:vlean meat and green veg will see you through. If you want to avoid the fattier cuts of meat, that's fine. Fish, tinned fish, broccoli, cabbage, pork collar, lean beef. My GP and cardiologist (both of whom are absolutely top notch) recommend as much.

Reactions: Joona and coby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Madisons When I left the 'cholesterol lowering' diet - I used the paperwork to light the barbecue soon after diagnosis - I ate 50 gm of carbs a day as I had done on Atkins, and my cholesterol went down, the rock hard bay window at waist level softened and reduced so I could bend over again and I lost weight. From being ( ) I became 1 1 and then ) (.
You say you have stopped the complex carbs, but how about the total intake of carbs?
Are you testing after meals to see if you are getting the amount of carbs right, and staying in normal ranges rather than spiking?

Madisons

Complete and utter nonsense I'm afraid..

Please let me know what I can eat for cholestral and fatty liver combined! I tried looking up diets for prediabetic, cholesteral and fatty liver, and each one contradicts each other. Like grapefruit is good for fatty liver, but not for the prediabetes, and legumes is good for cholesteral instead of red meat, but not for prediabetes...etc....seems like if it's all genetic (and it is..prone to all these, thanks to bad genes), even a diet alone will not save me....

Madisons

My endo told me there was nothing to be done about my fatty liver disease, and he'd see me again for pain management when it turned to cirrhosis. Which would eventually kill me. It is through keto that I got the fat stacked on my liver to buzz off. My liver values are normal now, my cholesterol is fine (it was high), and my blood sugars are excellent too. Most of the cholesterol that goes around our bloodstream we make ourselves, it's not in what we eat, that's just a fraction of it... I don't know what he expects you to live on, honestly! And with a Mediterranean diet they usually mean low carb, so... Talk about mixed signals!

Going low carb saved my life. If my liver wasn't bound to kill me before it got so far, I would be on insulin now. What are you eating now, maybe there's hidden carbs somewhere? If you still want to continue, of course...
Hi Jo,
Thanks so much for your constant support during my miserable posts. You are so positive and i wish I could be strong like you. I don't know what else to do anymore. The cholesteral and fatty liver is also genetic, which all leads to the pre-diabetes diagnosis 6 months ago. So disappointed, tried to eliminate all those carbs, and A1c remained the same at 6.1. Don't understand why my GP says to just keep exercising, and diet, but on what? I have lost so much weight but have a fatty liver. My carbs are probably from large portions of vegetables, nuts, greek yogurt in one seating....i can't seem to control the portions, all stress-related as well...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please let me know what I can eat for cholestral and fatty liver combined! I tried looking up diets for prediabetic, cholesteral and fatty liver, and each one contradicts each other. Like grapefruit is good for fatty liver, but not for the prediabetes, and legumes is good for cholesteral instead of red meat, but not for prediabetes...etc....seems like if it's all genetic (and it is..prone to all these, thanks to bad genes), even a diet alone will not save me....

Meat, fish, eggs.
Green veg or veg grown above ground (if you like them )
Most dairy should be ok unless you have a problem with it, full fat everything of course.
Some berries are ok raspberries, strawberries but no tropical type fruit.

You want to restrict carbohydrate as mush as possible.

And its little if anything to do with genes but far more about carbohydrate intolerance (which could have a genetic link but that's irrelevant).

Madisons

Meat, fish, eggs.
Green veg or veg grown above ground (if you like them )
Most dairy should be ok unless you have a problem with it, full fat everything of course.
Some berries are ok raspberries, strawberries but no tropical type fruit.

You want to restrict carbohydrate as mush as possible.

And its little if anything to do with genes but far more about carbohydrate intolerance (which could have a genetic link but that's irrelevant).
I was always told to not have eggs when one has high cholesteral? Or to limit to 2 a week only? GP wants to put me on statins because of the cholesteral gene...so devastated. Eating lots of nuts too, flaxseed, hempseed and chia. Maybe that's why my liver can't empty those fats fast enough as they accumulate at each meal...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always told to not have eggs when one has high cholesteral? Or to limit to 2 a week only? GP wants to put me on statins because of the cholesteral gene...so devastated. Eating lots of nuts too, flaxseed, hempseed and chia. Maybe that's why my liver can't empty those fats fast enough as they accumulate at each meal...
Sorry but it's all outdated dietary nonsense along with vegan propaganda that has put the world off eggs.
Nuts (depending on carb content) should be fine, I never had much pleasure from flaxseed, hempseed or chia give me a decent steak any day.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jo,
Thanks so much for your constant support during my miserable posts. You are so positive and i wish I could be strong like you. I don't know what else to do anymore. The cholesteral and fatty liver is also genetic, which all leads to the pre-diabetes diagnosis 6 months ago. So disappointed, tried to eliminate all those carbs, and A1c remained the same at 6.1. Don't understand why my GP says to just keep exercising, and diet, but on what? I have lost so much weight but have a fatty liver. My carbs are probably from large portions of vegetables, nuts, greek yogurt in one seating....i can't seem to control the portions, all stress-related as well...
First off, big hug. It's all a bit much, I get it. So please give yourself a break. You're experiencing a lot of stress right now due to the diagnosis, which can also put blood sugars up. And do take note of @bulkbiker , because there's a fount of information right there.

Most of the cholesterol that goes around our bodies is made BY our bodies... It's not so much in what we eat. Our brain is largely made up of cholesterol, which is why statins can have dementia-ish side effects, and ALL cell membranes are kept flexible by cholesterol; we need the stuff, it's not pure evil as you'd think with all the anti-cholesterol bla bla going around. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics might be informative and somewhat reassuring? As for fatty liver, it doesn't go away overnight. It took a few months for my test results to come back as normal. But it did happen, and my fatty liver was so dense they were convinced it was one big cancerous mass. I barely dared hope it would go away, but the pain at my liver went, and I could tie shoelaces without being in pain for being hunched over. It wasn't until the test results came back that I dared to breathe easy, but low carb really did work.

If you're having trouble with portion control, just stick with large amounts of food with no or next to no carbs. Meat, fish, poultry, cheese, eggs. Keep portions of carb-containing foods relatively small in comparison, so you fill up on things that aren't adding up much in the carb department. It's not so much portion control then, but more a matter of changing the proportions of the portions. Find a work-around that does it for you. And maybe, drink more water. It's quite filling and then you might not feel the need to load up on food. (I always found tea very comforting to drink, actually.).

Don't give up.
Jo

Helen100%

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say hi and I'm still here, watching/reading with interest. So sorry @Madisons that you are having a hard time, and please don't give up. If you're like me then things can seem hopeless and blurry when under stress, but they aren't - be patient, keep exploring, keep trying - you can do it! I'm very new to this but what I have taken in over the past week or so has up-ended everything I thought about food/eating/diet. I'm glad of the suggestion made by @Resurgam to get a glucose monitor, it arrived 2 days ago and I've used loads of sticks - I'm learning a lot from that. I'm sorry also @Madisons that you are sleeping so badly, that can't be helping the way you feel, I could PM you a link to a free app that works for me if you like.

Helen100%

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Madisons ... I'm such a newbie that I don't feel in a place to offer dietary advice, however I have had high LDL cholesterol readings for some time which I ignored, and it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and statins were mentioned (not steroids lol) a couple of weeks ago that I was spurred into doing something about it. I've done a lot of recent googling. I found this page about what you might want to add to your diet particularly interesting, (apologies if you already know all this, anyone else - feel free to comment): https://southdenver.com/10-simple-steps-to-lower-your-cholesterol-in-4-weeks/

Also - regarding your blood test results - at my recent appointment about my results, the nurse mentioned re-testing and she specifically emphasised not to be disappointed as she said cholesterol levels can be very slow to show changes.

Madisons

@Madisons ... I'm such a newbie that I don't feel in a place to offer dietary advice, however I have had high LDL cholesterol readings for some time which I ignored, and it wasn't until I was told I was prediabetic and statins were mentioned (not steroids lol) a couple of weeks ago that I was spurred into doing something about it. I've done a lot of recent googling. I found this page about what you might want to add to your diet particularly interesting, (apologies if you already know all this, anyone else - feel free to comment): https://southdenver.com/10-simple-steps-to-lower-your-cholesterol-in-4-weeks/

Also - regarding your blood test results - at my recent appointment about my results, the nurse mentioned re-testing and she specifically emphasised not to be disappointed as she said cholesterol levels can be very slow to show changes.
Thanks Helen for your kind reply and link to lowering cholesterol. The thing is, I was doing all that and what was upsetting was when the GP said it's genetic, and even doing all the "right" things, I'd need statins eventually. And the diet in the link, I can't even eat any longer because of the high carb content, like beans - legumes, which I LOVE, and apples which I also LOVE, I feel that I can't eat one thing because it will affect the other issues. Beans and oats are great for fatty liver, but not for prediabetes, then brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale and soy are great, but not for a hypothyroid....i love all these foods...my body just does not...the pancreas, the liver, etc....all seems to be rejecting everything "healthy." That's why I feel like giving up as there is nothing left to eat out there. I thought I was doing the right thing with going keto, but that was before the results of these recent bloods. I can't have the bacon and cheese any longer because it's just not the right diet for someone who's got the high cholesterol gene. Also, I didn't need to do keto to lose weight either. i am actually below my weight for my height. So it's been a real struggle, and you all have been so kind and helpful.

Madisons

Sorry but it's all outdated dietary nonsense along with vegan propaganda that has put the world off eggs.
Nuts (depending on carb content) should be fine, I never had much pleasure from flaxseed, hempseed or chia give me a decent steak any day.
Hello! It's amazing you have beat your prediabetes with the keto diet. I wish I could, but my insides are not co-operating, like I am doomed to be like my mother with all the genes that she's got. I mean if I ate eggs every day, my cholesterol would be through the roof without going on statins. and all those fats from meat and cheese would destroy my fatty liver. Darn, I don't even drink alcohol, imagine if I did? My entire life, I have been strict, and hardly indulged in anything that was "bad" for me, even birthday cake and delicious pastries, ice cream etc...I have worked out 5x a week for over 30 years, and still get this bomb dropped on me when i turned 50! Guess my life was destined to be this way. Sorry to be so negative and again for the venting. It's just so depressing but hey i should stop complaining now, who said life was fair anyway, right?

Madisons

First off, big hug. It's all a bit much, I get it. So please give yourself a break. You're experiencing a lot of stress right now due to the diagnosis, which can also put blood sugars up. And do take note of @bulkbiker , because there's a fount of information right there.

Most of the cholesterol that goes around our bodies is made BY our bodies... It's not so much in what we eat. Our brain is largely made up of cholesterol, which is why statins can have dementia-ish side effects, and ALL cell membranes are kept flexible by cholesterol; we need the stuff, it's not pure evil as you'd think with all the anti-cholesterol bla bla going around. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/cholesterol-basics might be informative and somewhat reassuring? As for fatty liver, it doesn't go away overnight. It took a few months for my test results to come back as normal. But it did happen, and my fatty liver was so dense they were convinced it was one big cancerous mass. I barely dared hope it would go away, but the pain at my liver went, and I could tie shoelaces without being in pain for being hunched over. It wasn't until the test results came back that I dared to breathe easy, but low carb really did work.

If you're having trouble with portion control, just stick with large amounts of food with no or next to no carbs. Meat, fish, poultry, cheese, eggs. Keep portions of carb-containing foods relatively small in comparison, so you fill up on things that aren't adding up much in the carb department. It's not so much portion control then, but more a matter of changing the proportions of the portions. Find a work-around that does it for you. And maybe, drink more water. It's quite filling and then you might not feel the need to load up on food. (I always found tea very comforting to drink, actually.).

Don't give up.
Jo
Thanks again Jo. Wish you were right beside me so that I can just fall into your arms for a big hug...at this point, I need it. Every time I eat something, i think of what my insides are doing to this food that i'm feeding my body...like I picture the liver, the pancreas, etc...like an animation in my head as to where these sugars are heading and being stored...i know crazy right? I like tea also, but it just makes me go to the bathroom alot, and the water consumption as well...ugh..the struggle is real.....

Helen100%

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Madisons I'm so sorry for the position you are in, that does sound really difficult and frustrating. Since posting the above I had come to realise that things are good for one thing aren't good for another - and you have several things to take into account. I can't offer anything in terms of dietary advice, just empathy, it must be so hard trying your best but not able to see results from it. You sound very good at looking into things though so if there are things that can help I'm sure you'll find them. I hope you are managing to get better sleep too, it's hard to find optimism when you are drained from lack of sleep.