a wee update

Weehotty

So i have spoken to my advanced nurse practitioner… my glicazide has been increased to 320mg . she has ordered all my functional tests ie kidney liver etc. She has mentioned that my pancreas could be tired ? and that it might be that i require insulin . so my sugars r at 18.6 the now on the double dose

what is a tired pancreas .. is it the same as beta cell exhaustion and if so whats the difference between cell exhaustion and cell failure ?

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So i have spoken to my advanced nurse practitioner… my glicazide has been increased to 320mg . she has ordered all my functional tests ie kidney liver etc. She has mentioned that my pancreas could be tired ? and that it might be that i require insulin . so my sugars r at 18.6 the now on the double dose

what is a tired pancreas .. is it the same as beta cell exhaustion and if so whats the difference between cell exhaustion and cell failure ?

My really simple way to explain. Both end up on insulin.

Type 1 body attacks it's own beta cells. Immune condition. GAD anti body test / C-Pep test.

Type 2, body is Insulin resistance and sometimes diet/exercise /Metformin or combination help.
But If that is not working add
Glicazide - makes the pancreas work harder produce more insulin and often the Pancreas just gives up and says no more - now you need Insulin.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18777097/

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Type 1 body attacks it's own beta cells. Immune condition. GAD anti body test / C-Pep test.

Type 2, body is Insulin resistance and sometimes diet/exercise /Metformin or combination help.
Glicazide - makes the pancreas work harder produce more insulin and often the Pancreas just gives up and says no more - now you need Insulin.

What you have written here is IMHO an oversimplification and recent discoveries show that there is no longer a predetermined pathway for T2D treatment.

We have seen evidence here in the Forum of T2D coming off insulin therapy, and of many T2D coming off all diabetic medications simply by making some lifestyle changes. It is the way things used to be before we entered the pharmaceuticl explosion era. The principles being introduced now are not new, they were used in the late 1800's to treat diabetes.

We are better informed now, and in better state to take control of our condition. and there are now several succesful methods for bringing control back for many T2D.

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What you have written here is IMHO an oversimplification and recent discoveries show that there is no longer a predetermined pathway for T2D treatment.

We have seen evidence here in the Forum of T2D coming off insulin therapy, and of many T2D coming off all diabetic medications simply by making some lifestyle changes. It is the way things used to be before we entered the pharmaceuticl explosion era. The principles being introduced now are not new, they were used in the late 1800's to treat diabetes.

We are better informed now, and in better state to take control of our condition. and there are now several succesful methods for bringing control back for many T2D.

100% correct if the Pancreas has not totally stopped working

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed but that's not T2 is it?

Yes and No as we all know there are multiple types of diabetics the common ones type1,type2,type1.5,type 3 etc... if the Immune system attack itself an destroyed your pancreas pretty sure that fits into Type 1 pretty well documented.

If we have introduced a drug like Glic. we are making the pancreas work a lot harder than it was designed to do and yes it can eventually give up.. what we call that is what we call that, the bottom line at that stage if you do not get insulin you have a big problem.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This seems a gross oversimplification and not helpful to the OP.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I think your cpeptide shows that you are suffering from severe insulin resistance (IR). It might be worth you looking at doing a quick reset by adopting a crash diet like Newcstle ND or the Mosely Fast 800 plan just to reset your system and spring cleam your plumbing. Then consider a follow on maintenance diet such as a low carb or Mediterranean diet to give longer term control.
Warning: the ND and similar crash diets are weight loss diets and entry conditions require that you have weight to lose.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @Weehotty ,

Sorry to hear yer still having BG issues.

"Tired pancreas." I'd bet my last cartridge of insulin it may well be just one of those terms used by your nurse in preparation of the patient for a possible change of prescription? (That old "bedside manner.)
I've had a dentist once instruct me to open my mouth "wide like a lion." An eye scan once.. "Be like a frog for me.."
I kinda get the impression some HCPs are more used to dealing with kids??

Any how. I don't feel it wise to make assumptions till the test results come back & you along with your nurse knows what is to be done.

Best wishes.

Reactions: JMK1954

Weehotty

thanks peeps … and please all stop arguing over these posts lol x

so my cpeptide is showing that im over producing … but does the cell exhaustion maybe relate to the quality of the insulin getting pumped out. could i be producing low performance insulin rather than the top dollar stuff I uses to produce ?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks peeps … and please all stop arguing over these posts lol x

so my cpeptide is showing that im over producing … but does the cell exhaustion maybe relate to the quality of the insulin getting pumped out. could i be producing low performance insulin rather than the top dollar stuff I uses to produce ?
I doubt it. It is more likely that as @Oldvatr said you have insulin resistance which means that your body can't use the insulin effectively, this in turn makes your pancreas produce even more insulin.

Are you overweight at all? Insulin resistance often causes weight gain.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you try one of the crash diets such as Newcastle, you should ensure your BMI remains above 25. Do not attempt if already below that figure.

The diet is designed to operate without any diabetic medication being taken, so get medical support before starting ND or similar plan.

Low carb is not so restrictive.