Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sunny gorgeous day today. Hoping for the same tomorrow. I just ordered a new iphone. I've nursed my phone's storage since early spring waiting because I had hoped they would add back a virtual fingerprint. They haven't so I'm very disappointed, but I need more storage availability. Sigh, so many like me don't like the facial recognition and lack of a button so I don't know why they didn't listen and respond. Supposedly they were considering it, I took back the last iphone because I hated it so much. It was actually more work to do some things without an easy button to push.

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
One of those days.
For no reason I can think of an hour after I went sleep, my low alarm went off. I drank some OJ and went back to sleep. An hour later my low alarm goes off again, drank more OJ back to sleep. An hour later, my alarm again. Drank more OJ and shut off my alarm. But then I realize I'm starting to feel like I'm burning up. Okay. that's DP kicking in I won't have to worry about being low anymore and turn back on my phone. Two hours later my high alert.............sigh, out of control DP. Take some insulin go back to sleep. When I wake up I'm nicely 6.0. But 15 minutes later I'm already 7.5........ FOTF....take more insulin. And also take some insulin for some coffee, I put 8 oz of soymilk in it as I don't like coffee that much. But I'm tired and we plan on snorkeling today.

But my husband announces the new Target is having a soft opening today. That's a big thing on this island because it's a chance to hit a new store fully stocked with all sorts of stuff. We want some new matching throw rugs........but I'd like to see them before I actually buy them, but I took some insulin to have coffee. So I just down some soymilk.

The Target opened last night to family and friends and then at 7 am for people to come in before grand opening on Sunday to give some experience to new employees. It was busy already at 10 am and half the rugs were gone and shelves aren't full already. All that supply problem we are having they probably didn't get all their stuff to open but also people were going out the door with carts full of stuff. Nothing on sale until Sunday. I bet they weren't expecting that, but they should have as we have a lack of choices here. Hopefully they have held back items advertised for their grand opening sales lol!

So no rugs I liked, nice store as Targets always are. 1st one to hit our island. I want to try to eat before snorkeling as that helps keep my numbers down while snorkeling. Take some insulin, get home and eat.Watch my numbers go up and look to see what time it was I took my insulin. No insulin, I guess I didn't hit that confirm button or something.............I needed that coffee.

Take some insulin , but not as much because I'm going to be snorkeling. Sure enough I hit 10. But I'm not going to reduce my basal rate at all for swimming and I'm hoping to burn off some of that BG my first hour of snorkeling and hopefully enough before I have any climbing of numbers. When I hit the water I'm at 9.1.

Lol..............finally things are starting to go right, my numbers very slowly dropped while snorkeling and I got out of the water 2 hours later at 5.2. I took 1 unit and nicely stayed around 5.0. Had spaghetti and garlic bread and stayed under 8.3. Now for tonight, not sure what to expect.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear that you had such a bad time.

Yes these days when you correct high then try to treat low. Then go high again because you had too much sugar. Then you just give up.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
That Target that opened with a "soft" opening. Today by the afternoon it was taking a 45 minute wait to get in, lines around the building and nothing on sale yet. Pictures kept getting posted on our islands FB page. Lol........Grand Opening is on Sunday................with sales advertised!

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone have a good weekend
FB_IMG_1634815181630.jpg

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I spent a good part of the day making bags of Halloween candy. We actually didn't interact before and used to just have a couple of bowls out and let kids take what they want. Last year we put bags out on a table and figured it was probably still a good idea that they can grab a bag off a table and go on their way. Several people did it that way last year too. More people are saying their kids will be trick or treating this year so we are not sure what to expect. This year we are going to do a longer path but probably not everything out still. I am making 300 bags and my hubby doesn't want to do any extra candy runs.

But it will be interesting, I don't know what to expect. Over 600 kids 2 years ago, but 160 last year. I will stay away from everyone and sit up by the house to monitor the displays if needed and make sure candy is on the table. We have a remote to set off a jumping spider lol....I always enjoy that!!!!!!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So.... if anyone uses Lloyds Pharmacies, there is currently a massive IT issue with a one-week waiting time for prescriptions!!!. I was fortunate enough this time to get everything as my prescription has gone through before the IT issue started.

I have also noted the "use by date" on anything I've got for the last 3 months is interesting... I do sort everything in my cupboards, be it food or meds, according to use-by dates. This time everything went to the top of the pile or the front of the cupboard for using up first. Not just the occasional item. Methinks there are so many issues going on here.

You know it's bad when the pharmacist agrees with you it might be better to go back to the paper prescription system and switch to a different pharmacist who can supply the prescription in a timely fashion, given the life dependent nature of insulin...

It now being half term, and having spent most of yesterday asleep or at least horizontal on the sofa, I have revived enough to decide one of my rare Sundays off the organ bench is going to be devoted to a long walk.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Monday @karen8967 and all.
On countdown for ten days in Norfolk starting Friday. Beyond excited, but a very busy week first. 2 swims, village winter bedding planting, hairdressers and grandson for 2 days. Somewhere in there cooking, baking and packing. Best get out of bed!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent long walk achieved yesterday until rain stopped play. Clearly, damp, early Sunday Mornings are the best time for those of us who like our walking done in a solitary fashion. Alas, it's so rarely an option for an organist who gets admin done before church.

A bit of a drama about just where my phone had got to was solved at Evening Basal Alarm time. Alas, I'd been so convinced it was on the bus I got home rather than completely get soaked through I'd blocked the SIM, ordered a new one, and had been contemplating a new phone. New SIM should be here tomorrow, and more importantly, I've not lost the COVID vaccines card or the memory card with all the photos on it. When I'm out shopping later in the week, I'm definitely looking for a more colourful case for it - but not blue as that's the colour of the innards of the current backpacks. Thought I'd got away with a black case this time but it had merged into a black file which I'd dumped it on as I sorted myself out when I got in from the walk. Still, I'm not spending today either buying a new phone or trekking to one of two bus Lost Property offices with ridiculous and very limited opening times.

So, I did a bit of early morning garden bin filling before the neighbourhood woke up and before the rain set in, and am now deciding on the next exciting activity of the day. Once my more exciting activity for tomorrow is confirmed I will decide if it's more walking when the rain stops or getting the deep clean of my bedroom done.

Eye screening is finally booked. I should have gone with the clinic option from the start - they do later into the evening than I thought they would and, as they are actually the next nearest place to work, since my nearest option has stopped the screening, I may not even have to take time out if I switch my early leaving evening to that day that week. (Work so owe me at the moment and both my line manager, and his manager, are happy to be flexible for my needs if at all possible. Especially as I can give notice for things like this. They are totally getting how much extra to cover for sudden absences some of us are currently doing.)

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, been v busy lately with all sorts of things, and I'm up to my ears in stuff this week before I get away on Friday for a week in Cornwall - first holiday in over two years and I seem to have umpteen things to do this week. Been on an hour's round trip to get new batteries in both sets of car keys - not that old but they've both run down, on the phone to the hospital to see if they've had the referral from my GP as it's easier to get through to them than the GP, waiting to hear now. Have to get the dog to the vet as she's now having a phantom pregnancy after her long, long awaited first season. She's been on drugs to stop it but they haven't so I have to take her back to the vet tomorrow and it's costing a fortune! I need to get it sorted so she can be spayed in December; I defintely don't want to have to deal with puppies! Also getting a haircut tomorrow, then covid booster Wednesday morning, tv man Thursday afternoon, and I need to go to the tip at some point. So I know how you feel @becca59 but it'll be worth it.

@Japes I'm glad work seem to be recognising what you do and being more accommodating as a result; not always the way, is it!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Japes I'm glad work seem to be recognising what you do and being more accommodating as a result; not always the way, is it!

My line manager's manager has always been accomodating and understanding by nature, definitely so when he was my line manager but he has had to draw a number of lines quite a bit tighter over the years for reasons I totally get, and which are not things I've ever needed to be pulled up about. My line manager of the last two years has not been either reasonable or understanding and that has always been the case, but this year's line manager is new and, so far, has been very reasonable with me. But, as he cheerfully pointed out last week, I have bailed him out (behind the scenes) of a number of rota crises whilst he's learning the ropes of our incredibly complex rotas and, apparently, have been generally very supportive. as he settles in. He was also observing the end of day diabetes routines (just because he happened to be around) remarked after the students has gone that it all seemed very smooth and easy, and there was a unison "Only when Japes is doing it! "

There used to be much more flexibility and trust around the early evening for those of us who did early mornings, but alas, too many people taking advantage meant we now have to decide at the beginning of the year which days/times we go early and stick with it.

Reactions: Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My line manager's manager has always been accomodating and understanding by nature, definitely so when he was my line manager but he has had to draw a number of lines quite a bit tighter over the years for reasons I totally get, and which are not things I've ever needed to be pulled up about. My line manager of the last two years has not been either reasonable or understanding and that has always been the case, but this year's line manager is new and, so far, has been very reasonable with me. But, as he cheerfully pointed out last week, I have bailed him out (behind the scenes) of a number of rota crises whilst he's learning the ropes of our incredibly complex rotas and, apparently, have been generally very supportive. as he settles in. He was also observing the end of day diabetes routines (just because he happened to be around) remarked after the students has gone that it all seemed very smooth and easy, and there was a unison "Only when Japes is doing it! "

There used to be much more flexibility and trust around the early evening for those of us who did early mornings, but alas, too many people taking advantage meant we now have to decide at the beginning of the year which days/times we go early and stick with it.
I'm so glad you've now got a manager who's reasonable. I know the last one didn't make your life easy, and it can be miserable and stressful when your line manager's unsupportive.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It's amazing how a few people can ruin it for everyone and usually they don't get what's wrong with what they are doing.