Thankyou for support

SOTR

Thankyou to ll the people who have supported me here or answered my questions.
I have found the Freestyle Libre to be invaluable to help me with diabetes.
I reported a week ago that the Libre meter showed me at over 14 mmol/litre for a day and I took that as a kick up the backside (I suspect that as someone said the meters read high sometimes as they bed in).
Following a low carb diet and also taking Glycazide and Metformin again I am averaging 8.8 over the last 24 hours and never over 10

Yesterday later on I was feeling a bit out of sorts so did not eat much all day and this seemed to have a beneficial effect on my glucose levels. I don't want to stop eating because I feel ill, but maybe some planned fasting would be a good idea.
I have also started eating smaller breakfasts - natural yoghurt and blueberries this morning.

I had two peaks in blood sugar on Saturday - one from eating porridge for breakfast and one later when I had a bread roll with pakora. I wont be giving up porridge, however I wonder if this is telling me my metabolism has changed and I have to be careful with the carbs.

Reactions: alex1965

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I wont be giving up porridge

I would.. many of us have found it causes huge spikes.

I just gave up breakfast completely extending my overnight fast and just have coffee with double cream throughout the morning.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I reported a week ago that the Libre meter showed me at over 14 mmol/litre for a day and I took that as a kick up the backside (I suspect that as someone said the meters read high sometimes as they bed in).
Following a low carb diet and also taking Glycazide and Metformin again I am averaging 8.8 over the last 24 hours and never over 10

Yesterday later on I was feeling a bit out of sorts so did not eat much all day and this seemed to have a beneficial effect on my glucose levels. I don't want to stop eating because I feel ill, but maybe some planned fasting would be a good idea.
I have also started eating smaller breakfasts - natural yoghurt and blueberries this morning.

I had two peaks in blood sugar on Saturday - one from eating porridge for breakfast and one later when I had a bread roll with pakora. I wont be giving up porridge, however I wonder if this is telling me my metabolism has changed and I have to be careful with the carbs.
Your meter is giving you some useful information there. Up to you what you do with it. Personally I would not ignore evidence that your system struggles to handle the carbs you're eating.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Any particular reason why porridge needs to remain a staple? If it's for regularity, there are other ways to keep regular... With way fewer carbs. Had to look pakora up, but from the sound of it, that and bread would make a massive carb bomb... You might want to reconsider your diet. (Why do I find out about these interesting foods after I can't have them anymore?! ;) )

SOTR

"Any particular reason why porridge needs to remain a staple?"
I should have said I am Scottish! I love my Gloagburn Farm oatmeal - tosted first then mad with milk. And salt!
Porridge is not a staple for me at the moment - it is an occasional treat.

Pakora is lovely, but it seems to be almost unknown in England. In Scotland it is a go-to food for after the pub.

Seriously - these were two treats on Saturday. The Pakora came from a street food market - street food places often put things in buns or provide lots of rice. I guess I just have to be a bit more choosy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Any particular reason why porridge needs to remain a staple?"
I should have said I am Scottish! I love my Gloagburn Farm oatmeal - tosted first then mad with milk. And salt!
Porridge is not a staple for me at the moment - it is an occasional treat.

Pakora is lovely, but it seems to be almost unknown in England. In Scotland it is a go-to food for after the pub.

Seriously - these were two treats on Saturday. The Pakora came from a street food market - street food places often put things in buns or provide lots of rice. I guess I just have to be a bit more choosy.
When you said the porridge bit I saw a scene from Outlander in my mind: 100% Scotsman Jamie telling the King of France he really should just have some porridge. :p But yeah, that explains things some, haha. Well, there is a keto porridge, https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-porridge , or a keto coconut porridge, but yeah... That's not the real thing to a Scot, I suppose. (I'm Dutch, I don't exactly do porridge. We're more a cornflakey people, I guess. Or bread, with chocolate sprinkles or nutella.). You'll figure it out. Maybe smaller portions, maybe less often, who knows... You find what works for you. And if you find a little spike acceptable, or can go for a little walk after, what the heck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have worked in the Netherlands... now you make me think of olliebollen :hungry:
Oooh, do forgive me....! There's a stand right outside a garden center in Amersfoort, and when we go there I feel like licking the air, it smells do good! Yeah, the struggle is real. ;)