Raw Liver?

Vidar

So I've been seeing a lot of stuff recently about people eating raw organ meats. Particularly Liver. It's claimed by various Youtubers and websites to have lots of health benefits over cooked but my question is, is it safe?

Anyone tried it? What's your experience?

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may have diabetes but you don't have wear hair shirt and no it could be unsafe depending on where it was sourced and how it has been stored.

Reactions: EllieM

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. Never tried it. Like with everything, there's masses of pro's and cons online, like it has to be organic grass fed or it's too full of hormones, there's too many toxins and vitamin A, and it's good for fatigue whatnot... But really... Who'd want to?! (I like mine well done. Raw? Not my cup of tea, though it might be yours, who knows?!)

**edited to comply with forum rules.

Last edited:

Vidar

I actually can't stand Liver cooked, over cooked makes it very bitter and I don't like the consistency. Just want the best solution for me.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually can't stand Liver cooked, over cooked makes it very bitter and I don't like the consistency. Just want the best solution for me.
Paté? ;)

Seriously though, if you hate it, don't have it. There's got to be other ways to achieve your goal?

Reactions: EllieM

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first married many moons ago my husband liked liver and onions but I had to put rubber gloves on even to put it in the pan :arghh: He doesn't often get it now :angelic:
Carol

Reactions: zand

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are we talking pork or beef liver? If pork, give it a miss. Frankly, I doubt even beef is worth the effort: I don't see any big nutritional advantage. I like all kinds of liver- pork, beef, goose and chicken, but as a weapon against diabetes, it just looks like another meat product.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I've been seeing a lot of stuff recently about people eating raw organ meats. Particularly Liver. It's claimed by various Youtubers and websites to have lots of health benefits over cooked but my question is, is it safe?

I eat lambs liver. I never would eat it raw. I flash fry it in a pan, after cooking the onions, so it gets a lovely flavour and it cooked, but not tough.

Reactions: Le Duan

Vidar

Paté? ;)

Seriously though, if you hate it, don't have it. There's got to be other ways to achieve your goal?

I'm back on Carnivore, and liver is the most nutrient dense food known to man. Plus, the really good supplements cost a **** fortune. I have a lot of health issues, obesity, type 2 diabetes, low testosterone, suspected colitis and ptsd. I need to not only lose a lot of weight but heal as well.

Reactions: Le Duan

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm back on Carnivore, and liver is the most nutrient dense food known to man. Plus, the really good supplements cost a **** fortune. I have a lot of health issues, obesity, type 2 diabetes, low testosterone, suspected colitis and ptsd. I need to not only lose a lot of weight but heal as well.
I'm on carnivore... And I just put my liver in a pan with lard. No need to go raw. Far as I know bovine's better than porcine, but I honestly prefer to stick with chicken livers. Keep in mind that you can just soak it in milk for a bit, to pull out any bitterness. ;)

Vidar

Interesting, thanks for the tip about milk. I'll give it a try. But doesn't the cooking damage the nutrients?

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in the deep mists of time when I was very young ... well, the early 1970s anyway ... I remember someone my parents knew who had to eat 'raw liver sandwiches' because she had some kind of severe anaemia that couldn't be dealt with any other way.

I have no idea how true this was, but I definitely remember it being talked about. I think in the last 50 years we may have come on a little with medical science and now cooked liver is as good as the raw stuff. Possibly even there are supplements in pill or injection form that could be had instead of the raw liver sandwiches.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Raw liver doesn't appeal to me. Raw steak is fine. That's my opinion. If it's what you want to try, it doesn't really matter what anyone else says - you may be overthinking this.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, thanks for the tip about milk. I'll give it a try. But doesn't the cooking damage the nutrients?
Well... I don't know. But my gums aren't bleeding anymore, which was a problem for most of my life. (Various vitamin deficiencies that are gone now). So I don't think it matters all that much. ;)

Vidar

Well... I don't know. But my gums aren't bleeding anymore, which was a problem for most of my life. (Various vitamin deficiencies that are gone now). So I don't think it matters all that much. ;)

I get bleeding gums sometimes, especially when my diet has been really bad. Hadn't ever really thought it was down to possible deficiencies. Interesting getting to talk to a more experienced fellow carnivore.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've tried it.. just a mouthful of calves liver which was ok and no adverse side effects.
I usually cook it though until pink inside so "semi" raw I guess not that I have it very often.. maybe once a fortnight.