Disappointed

Loudcan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors
Hi been lurking here for just over 4 months trying to take in all this information in this amazing library for diabetics. diagnosed as type two, was given the usual eat well nhs diet sheet told to lose some weight so I've shifted 3 stone of timber mainly from round my midriff and my sugars are slowly coming down,but today a leisurely day fishing home mid afternoon pre meal reading 5.6 2 hours later 10 mmol no potatoes just veg and chicken and one Yorkshire pudding which I was really looking forward too. will I ever be able to eat a Sunday lunch again without raising my blood sugar high wouldn't have thought it was really that carb heavy any advice would be gratefully received thanks alan

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi been lurking here for just over 4 months trying to take in all this information in this amazing library for diabetics. diagnosed as type two, was given the usual eat well nhs diet sheet told to lose some weight so I've shifted 3 stone of timber mainly from round my midriff and my sugars are slowly coming down,but today a leisurely day fishing home mid afternoon pre meal reading 5.6 2 hours later 10 mmol no potatoes just veg and chicken and one Yorkshire pudding which I was really looking forward too. will I ever be able to eat a Sunday lunch again without raising my blood sugar high wouldn't have thought it was really that carb heavy any advice would be gratefully received thanks alan
Well done on the weight loss and the general improvements, you should feel very proud!

For the meal impact… Did you have gravy at all? What veg and What size Yorkshire pudding?

veg have carbs, some are worse than others (peas and carrots spring to mind) and adding it all up coupled with the Yorkie could have pushed it past your own threshold

It can be hard to tell sometimes how things will impact us, for some it improves and they can take some more carbs than before, for others they remain really sensitive to carbs, there can also be unexpected impacts I have found where different carbs act differently. So for me pastry hits really hard and yet some desserts (when I let myself down) don’t, even where the number of carbs are technically the same

it’s truly annoying but am wondering if there might have been more carbs in your dinner than you thought.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi there, it'll be the Yorkshire pud, depending on how big it was it could have 20 plus carbs in.

Loudcan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors
Roast chicken.Brussels,cabbage,broccoli,carrots,gravy,one medium Yorkie not homemade and says 8 grams of carbs on the packet,this was the first meal of the day apart from a few drinks of tea thanks for the replies

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It will be the Yorkie. Nothhing to do with fishing, unless you find that stressful! Check the gravy. It takes a while to get it all uner your belt but it will come.

If you want to nibble on the odd maggot, they are all protein, no carbs. Rather you than me thougt!

Loudcan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors
It will be the Yorkie. Nothhing to do with fishing, unless you find that stressful! Check the gravy. It takes a while to get it all uner your belt but it will come.

If you want to nibble on the odd maggot, they are all protein, no carbs. Rather you than me thougt!

Loudcan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors
Thanks for that everything seems rather hit and miss at the moment four weeks ago had some pizza hardly moved blood sugar 2 weeks later got a reading of 9.5 so still not sure of thing's,I'll give the maggots a miss though

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Although carb intake and insulin usage are the two main factors impacting blood sugar levels, there are many other factors that can influence one's blood sugar levels. It is not a one to one relationship, but rather a dynamic interaction of many factors.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pizza, look up fat head dough. Took me a couple of goes to get it right, We can suggest lots of alternatives, don't be afraid to ask.

Lookup keto chocolate mug cake, serve with double cream. You don't need to sacrifce indulgence for luxuey.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The carb peak from pizza will be more than 2 hours after eating it. The fat from the toppings can slow the carb absorption and delay the peak.
For me, I see a peak 4 or 5 hours after pizza (unless I time my insulin appropriately).

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Yorkshires always spike my blood sugar !

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'd also hazard a guess that the yorkie would be the main factor, but to be fair, carrots can spike bloods pretty high. The gravy probably has flour in it too, and that's not counting any carbs in the stock. If the gravy was something like Bisto, that can be 60 carbs per 100g. You might be able to get away with yorkshire pudding sometimes if you trim back some of the other factors. Maybe a smaller Yorkie, less/no gravy: eat it last after the meat and veg, then a little walk afterwards and see how you go.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd also hazard a guess that the yorkie would be the main factor, but to be fair, carrots can spike bloods pretty high. The gravy probably has flour in it too, and that's not counting any carbs in the stock. If the gravy was something like Bisto, that can be 60 carbs per 100g. You might be able to get away with yorkshire pudding sometimes if you trim back some of the other factors. Maybe a smaller Yorkie, less/no gravy: eat it last after the meat and veg, then a little walk afterwards and see how you go.
That’s a bit misleading on the bisto
Carbohydrate is nearly 60g per 100g however 50ml as prepared is 2g so, if you pour quite a lot then it will add up, it is nowhere near 60g

where I was going is that individually, carrots, peas, yorkie etc are all not huge as they could be, they all cumulatively add up and the Yorkshire is probably individually the largest on the plate, but all of it combined may well trigger an individuals tolerance level

Loudcan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors
Thanks for the information will have to give up the Yorkshire puds in future don't think I could manage without gravy though will have less and make sure its a bit thinner next time

finzi1966

There are ways of making lower carb gravy, too. It’s the flour to thicken it that sends up the carbs. So if you find an alternative thickener (google Keto gravy - something like Xantham gum) and stir that into stock (or even just an OXO cube and hot water) you get perfectly nice gravy

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That’s a bit misleading on the bisto
Carbohydrate is nearly 60g per 100g however 50ml as prepared is 2g so, if you pour quite a lot then it will add up, it is nowhere near 60g

where I was going is that individually, carrots, peas, yorkie etc are all not huge as they could be, they all cumulatively add up and the Yorkshire is probably individually the largest on the plate, but all of it combined may well trigger an individuals tolerance level
Sorry, that's a good point about the Bisto- I just meant the base product is carbs, so it's one other factor adding to the total carb load.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi been lurking here for just over 4 months

So I take it you're only 4 months post diagnosis.
If like me you're one of the subset whose insulin resistance was down entirely to weight then those 3st you've shifted may be about to reveal dividends.
We know know it can take up to 12 months for beta cell function to return to a pre-diabetic state.
No promises but if you're part of this cohort then you just need to keep on the path for the foreseeable.
I remember hitting 13 after a bowl of Shreddies in the early months post remission.
6 months later I'd a completely normal response to the same meal.
Keep doing what you're doing & those yorkies might be back on the menu in 8 months time.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Loudcan if you google Keto Yorkshire puddings you should find a recipe by
Queen keto.com. The recipe uses lupin flour and arrowroot instead of flour. I think the puds work out at 3g of carb each. My family think they are great and are fluffier than normal ones. The arrowroot can also be used for thickening gravy.

SwissT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I take it you're only 4 months post diagnosis.
If like me you're one of the subset whose insulin resistance was down entirely to weight then those 3st you've shifted may be about to reveal dividends.
We know know it can take up to 12 months for beta cell function to return to a pre-diabetic state.
No promises but if you're part of this cohort then you just need to keep on the path for the foreseeable.
I remember hitting 13 after a bowl of Shreddies in the early months post remission.
6 months later I'd a completely normal response to the same meal.
Keep doing what you're doing & those yorkies might be back on the menu in 8 months time.

This seems to be borne out from the research in the link below.
https://www.diabetes.org/newsroom/press-releases/2019/insulin-producing-beta-cells
I guess it depends what they mean by 'early' There's hope yet...

Loudcan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being stuck indoors
Yes the weight doesn't help another 2 stone to go, but mum and three sisters were type 2 and I know you've got to take this seriously. not just take a tablet and carry on as before,those days have gone for me,not sure if my diagnosis was 5.9or 59 on the second test I did when I was first informed I was a diabetic quite a shock but hopefully I'll get there,once again thanks for responding to my initial text