Raw Liver?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I would be very sure that it comes from a safe source.
I went right off liver after dissecting one in biology class and collecting liver flukes from the ducts.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No reason to eat anything that does'nt float your boat. This doesn't do it for me, personally. I eat liver once in a blue moon, I prefer it pink to well done. But then, |I prefer steak.

Reactions: lovinglife

jessj

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find beef liver sweeter, but...er...I'd skip it raw. I'm another that prefers pink, perfect. It is very good eating along with kidneys & hearts, tasty & healthy.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the good old days minced up raw liver was part of the diet of anaemic children to get them back to normal.

I eat liver when it's cooked, I would not eat raw liver though as cooking kills any bugs that may have been missed by the government meat inspectors at the meatworks.

In New Zealand it is / was illegal to feed dogs offal cooked or raw because of the transfer of worm, bugs etc to humans.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
In New Zealand it is / was illegal to feed dogs offal cooked or raw because of the transfer of worm, bugs etc to humans.

Interestingly when we tried offering our dogs raw chicken livers a few years back they wouldn't touch them....

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interestingly when we tried offering our dogs raw chicken livers a few years back they wouldn't touch them....
Might have been caught out will a tablet inside liver before.

I based when I said it was illegal, I am going by what an old Kiwi that lived near us was saying, this was 20 years ago when he told us.

Vidar

Reading everyone's take on it has been eye opening. Think I may try putting it in milk and lightly cooking it moving forward or at least ensuring that it's been frozen a minimum of two weeks which should kill off most things and mitigate the risks. I just want the absolute best health I can get now, and will do whatever I can, whatever I must to get that. Not wait, years or months for further motivation only to find my bad decisions mean I'll be clocking out early. The way I feel sometimes that's a definite possibility!

M

Member496333

@Jim Lahey.....where are you? :)

Probably eaten my weight in raw lamb's liver over the past couple of years. Makes me feel like a sexual tyrannosaurus. Always freeze and defrost first in order to increase the chances of maiming or killing any parasites. Desiccated beef capsules are a lot more convenient, though, and arguably more beneficial than lamb. You don't necessarily have to seek out the gourmet expensive capsules from AU/NZ.

Nothing kills hunger like raw liver. That tells me all I need to know about its nutritional profile.

Reactions: KK123

Vidar

Probably eaten my weight in raw lamb's liver over the past couple of years. Makes me feel like a sexual tyrannosaurus. Always freeze and defrost first in order to increase the chances of maiming or killing any parasites. Desiccated beef capsules are a lot more convenient, though, and arguably more beneficial than lamb. You don't necessarily have to seek out the gourmet expensive capsules from AU/NZ.

Nothing kills hunger like raw liver. That tells me all I need to know about its nutritional profile.

Got any recommendations on capsules?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading everyone's take on it has been eye opening. Think I may try putting it in milk and lightly cooking it moving forward or at least ensuring that it's been frozen a minimum of two weeks which should kill off most things and mitigate the risks. I just want the absolute best health I can get now, and will do whatever I can, whatever I must to get that. Not wait, years or months for further motivation only to find my bad decisions mean I'll be clocking out early. The way I feel sometimes that's a definite possibility!
I am feeling confused. Why do you think you have to, and need to eat liver, cooked or raw, in order to have good health? Its not magical. What is is specifically about it that you are looking for in your diet? I am just asking for information, not challenging your choices.

M

Member496333

Funnily enough I was just looking at those exact ones, do you find them to be any good at all? I much prefer the idea of having the real thing but could do in a pinch I guess.

Difficult to say. I would never rely on them solely, as I’m a believer in real whole food, but these can’t be doing much harm on the days when it’s not convenient to get some real liver in me. They will repeat on an empty stomach, so best taken with food.

Vidar

I am feeling confused. Why do you think you have to, and need to eat liver, cooked or raw, in order to have good health? Its not magical. What is is specifically about it that you are looking for in your diet? I am just asking for information, not challenging your choices.

It's not that I think I have to, it's that I want to. As a Carnivore my options for getting all the essential nutrients I need are pretty slim if I don't want to take supplements. And I don't want to take supplements, £80 I was spending a month on everything that I thought I needed but wasn't feeling any better. Liver has virtually everything the body needs, it's the most nutrient dense food known to man. From my understanding the reason to have it raw is that cooking damages a lot of the beneficial compounds. The stuff is like rocket fuel for your body from what I can tell and works best if you have a small amount, typically 1oz every other day rather than a huge amount once a week or month.

liver-nutrition-1.png

Vidar

Difficult to say. I would never rely on them solely, as I’m a believer in real whole food, but these can’t be doing much harm on the days when it’s not convenient to get some real liver in me. They will repeat on an empty stomach, so best taken with food.

Thanks, may get some just for emergencies then.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not that I think I have to, it's that I want to. As a Carnivore my options for getting all the essential nutrients I need are pretty slim if I don't want to take supplements. And I don't want to take supplements, £80 I was spending a month on everything that I thought I needed but wasn't feeling any better. Liver has virtually everything the body needs, it's the most nutrient dense food known to man. From my understanding the reason to have it raw is that cooking damages a lot of the beneficial compounds. The stuff is like rocket fuel for your body from what I can tell and works best if you have a small amount, typically 1oz every other day rather than a huge amount once a week or month.

View attachment 51787
That's fair: give it a try-it's bound to be nice, nutritious food. That said, I think you could also do similarly well on pork chops, boiled eggs- that sort of thing.. I was obese myself, but I ate things like salmon and broccoli, pork chops and sauerkraut, mutton and cabbage, and the weight really came off.

Vidar

That's fair: give it a try-it's bound to be nice, nutritious food. That said, I think you could also do similarly well on pork chops, boiled eggs- that sort of thing.. I was obese myself, but I ate things like salmon and broccoli, pork chops and sauerkraut, mutton and cabbage, and the weight really came off.

I have a really rough time on veggies, never understood it before but it wasn't that I just didn't like the taste. It would give me nausea, stomach cramps, bloating and even more toilet based pyrotechnics.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

View attachment 51787
Thank you. I was under the impression that @bulkbiker doesn't take loads of suppliements. I strongly recommend having organic liver. I haven't seen beef liver round here for sale. I live in a farming community. I have lamb liver.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I was under the impression that @bulkbiker doesn't take loads of suppliements. I strongly recommend having organic liver. I haven't seen beef liver round here for sale. I live in a farming community. I have lamb liver.

Indeed I don't take much in the way of supplements.. some Vit D over the winter (started it again last week) and magnesium as we are apparently all a bit deficient. Apart from that just mainly muscle meat with sometimes organs, few berries and a bit of Oppo for a treat. I tend to run at a macro ratio of 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs or usually less carbs mainly from double cream and rarely greek yoghurt.
Probably 90% of my calories from meat.

Fairly typical day would look like this .....although edit to add the tomato was a bit unusual but fancied something cold straight out of the fridge.
Screenshot 2021-10-27 at 15.01.52.png