Spike in Blood Sugar

lewisles49

Hi: I have type 2. Tested first thing in morning. It was 6.7 Took Medicine and had a bowl of porridge or breakfast, Three hours later reading was 13.9 and had dizzy spell and felt very tired. Level then dropped to 6.3 in about 1 hour.

This happens often. What causes this

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi: I have type 2. Tested first thing in morning. It was 6.7 Took Medicine and had a bowl of porridge or breakfast, Three hours later reading was 13.9 and had dizzy spell and felt very tired. Level then dropped to 6.3 in about 1 hour.

The porridge. There's a lot of carbs in it, and carbs turn to glucose once ingested, even if they're not sweet but starchy. You try the same thing when you have breakfast with eggs and bacon, you'll see an amazing difference. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ will explain some more, if you're interested.

You're asking the right questions, yay, you! Welcome to the forum!
Jo

pinkfoot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Jo says, lay off the carbs, You will see a difference quickly.

Plenty of good, friendly advice on here. I've managed to turn my 18 year diagnosed T2 managed by pills and injections to looking at remission in a few months time by eating well and kicking the carbs out.

Eat proteins and fats, you will notice the results very quickly..

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

It's the porridge. Very high in carbs and will spike most people's blood sugar, me included. This looks like a standard rise and fall in BS after a carb-heavy meal. As T2s, we don't handle carbs well and this is a good example of what happens.