Any med recommendations for type 2?

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My sister is seeing her endocrinologist tomorrow. She has trouble with digestive upset from metformin. That is what I take. She was asking for any advice before she sees the dr. She eats low carb, not keto but she still gets spikes sometimes.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister is seeing her endocrinologist tomorrow. She has trouble with digestive upset from metformin. That is what I take. She was asking for any advice before she sees the dr. She eats low carb, not keto but she still gets spikes sometimes.
She could go lower carb maybe? Go over the meals together or on here and see what can be improved upon? Otherwise, I think the next suggestion could be gliclazide, and that doesn't often mesh well with low carb (hypo's are a risk). There's a bunch more, but those are the only two I ever had: met and glic... Oh, the metformin, does she have the slow release kind and does she take it with food? (Never ever have met on an empty stomach if you're feeling ill off it) Then the slow release version could also be an option...

Reactions: lorib64

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. She tried lower carb but found it restrictive. I will mention what you wrote. Thanks again

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it removes junk from the diet and makes people better without drugs.

Isn't that worth giving bad food up for?

I agree. We tried keto together. I am still on it and got off one med, but she did not stick with it. I am surprised. She is much more disciplined than I am.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. We tried keto together. I am still on it and got off one med, but she did not stick with it. I am surprised. She is much more disciplined than I am.

I suggest you get her to join up here and we can try and point her in the right direction?

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating low carb and tweaking the diet so as to avoid food and meals which cause spikes as indicated by a blood glucose tester sorted my type two out, no problem.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. She tried lower carb but found it restrictive. I will mention what you wrote. Thanks again
It's not for everyone... I've made the choice to follow the diet I do (Carnivore: Talk about restrictive! Just meat, fish, poultry, eggs and certain dairy products. And that's it.), and I didn't feel I had options... Once I found out how badly I actually responded to plants of any kind, which explained a lifetime of issues, well.. Don't think I haven't shed a tear here and there for foods and drinks I've lost along the way. I'd kill for a salad! I adore good food, and within keto there was so much more I could pick and choose from than I do now. But the alternative was over all, just too painful. So I stick with it, even if it did/does cause me some grief. But that's the price I am willing to pay for feeling better than I did.

I also know my grandmother would not have given up her daily pastries for anyone or anything, no matter how much she feared dying. Very high blood sugars ruined her aorta and cause her death. Many nights spent with chest pains came before the eventual end. And a friend's mother loved her chocolate more than life, as with high blood sugars she developed such severe neuropathy she just walked from her bed to her corner of the couch and wasn't able to do more than that. Chocolate (Cote d'Or) was her only comfort as her days seemed to stretch on forever, in pain. Until her heart ruptured, which I quietly think was a relief to her. It was a vicious circle with both of them, that which gave them joy or comfort was also the thing making them need said comfort... And nothing anyone could've said would've changed a thing.

So yeah. A change in diet isn't for everyone, even if it seems the absolute logical thing to do. If she can't, she can't, for whatever reason. It doesn't have to be a lack of dicipline or spine thing, not at all. Feeling trapped in a diet can make one baulk against it, and she just might be experiencing legitimate grief over her diagnosis, going through stages like anger and such, which can mess up priorities and willingness to do certain things. And I do think she probably knows what the consequences may be. I just hope she'll find a way that works for her, together with her doc.

Reactions: Sinner

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Her A1C was 6.6% (48.6 mmol/mol) so her dr said she does not need medication. He prescribed a freestyle libre CGM. Her fasting glucose is not too bad, she tells me, but it goes up later in day. I am the opposite.
That A1C seems high to me, but I don’t know.