Raw Liver?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Interesting nutritional profile. While beef liver has substantial quantities of many micronutrients it is notably low in others i.e. calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, all of which are necessary in quite large quantities in the diet. It also provides little of Vitamins C, D, E and K. It is also a poor source of Omega 3. I do recall pregnant women being told NOT to eat liver as there were too many cases of Vitamin A toxicity. Now I can see why.

Reactions: lucylocket61

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably eaten my weight in raw lamb's liver over the past couple of years. Makes me feel like a sexual tyrannosaurus. Always freeze and defrost first in order to increase the chances of maiming or killing any parasites. Desiccated beef capsules are a lot more convenient, though, and arguably more beneficial than lamb. You don't necessarily have to seek out the gourmet expensive capsules from AU/NZ.

Nothing kills hunger like raw liver. That tells me all I need to know about its nutritional profile.

Jim, you may have mentioned this previously, is there a reason that you know of suggesting raw is better than cooked? As kids, liver & onions was a staple and it was yum. With a Mum who only ate beef/steak that had to be cooked for at least 3 hours, (and I don't mean in a braised way), I'm not sure what she'd have thought of that.....

M

Member496333

Jim, you may have mentioned this previously, is there a reason that you know of suggesting raw is better than cooked? As kids, liver & onions was a staple and it was yum. With a Mum who only ate beef/steak that had to be cooked for at least 3 hours, (and I don't mean in a braised way), I'm not sure what she'd have thought of that.....

For me it just tastes better. Primal. Uniquely satisfying.

Vidar

Interesting nutritional profile. While beef liver has substantial quantities of many micronutrients it is notably low in others i.e. calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, all of which are necessary in quite large quantities in the diet. It also provides little of Vitamins C, D, E and K. It is also a poor source of Omega 3. I do recall pregnant women being told NOT to eat liver as there were too many cases of Vitamin A toxicity. Now I can see why.

Can I ask your thoughts on Dr Ken Berry? I recently watched one of his videos talking about Liver and he states unless eating polar bear liver or supplements there's never been a case of toxicity from eating too much liver.

I

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to remember Mawson died in Antartica from eating his dogs. I think the cause of death was from excess vitamins from the dogs livers. Could be wrong but no doubt someone will correct me.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I could eat liver if my life depended on it, except in a pate, the texture just makes me gag even at the thought of it. I’m not a fussy eater at all and I think it’s the only food I just couldn’t face, used to love the gravy from it though when my mam used to make liver casserole for the rest of the family - I would have veggies with the gravy so it’s not the flavour but …. :spitoutdummy:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I could eat liver if my life depended on it, except in a pate, the texture just makes me gag even at the thought of it
I'm so with you on that!!

(edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
People, please be thoughtful in your replies, it's never nice to have people say even thinking about your food choices makes them sick.
In fact, we have a rule on this:

B3. Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices.

No-one forces you to read threads you don't like, and if someones choices make you feel unwell I advise you to simply block the member so you won't be confronted with it again.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Vidar raw liver was used as a cure for pernicious anaemia in the early part of 20th century. This was a killer disease and people had to eat around 1/2lb raw liver a day. Once the active ingredient in raw liver was isolated and labelled vitamin B12 it soon followed that pills containing high doses of purified B12 were made. Injections can also given now if B12 drops too low.
I believe you are pretty much carnivore at present? If so you’ll be getting plenty of B12 so you don’t need to eat raw liver if you don’t want to. If you like it, and I know some people do, then provided you’re happy with the provenance, I doubt a small amount will harm you.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Can I ask your thoughts on Dr Ken Berry? I recently watched one of his videos talking about Liver and he states unless eating polar bear liver or supplements there's never been a case of toxicity from eating too much liver.

I
I did a bit of checking and the advice to pregnant women was not directly because of Vitamin A toxicity but because excess Vitamin A may lead to birth defects. So unless you are pregnant (!) You are probably ok!

Reactions: DJC3

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I couldn’t eat liver raw or cooked!! I see some people eat vegetables that haven’t been cooked I couldn’t do that either!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn’t eat liver raw or cooked!! I see some people eat vegetables that haven’t been cooked I couldn’t do that either!
Not even coleslaw, raw carrot, celery, lettuce or onion?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my question is, is it safe?
Anyone tried it? What's your experience?
Another reminder to stay on topic. To make this easier I've quoted the questions asked in the opening post.
Please only reply if you do know something about the safety of eating raw liver or if you have any experience with eating raw liver.
It's perfectly fine if you don't want to eat raw liver but it doesn't answer the questions at all.
Further off topic replies will be deleted.

andromache

So I've been seeing a lot of stuff recently about people eating raw organ meats. Particularly Liver. It's claimed by various Youtubers and websites to have lots of health benefits over cooked but my question is, is it safe?

Anyone tried it? What's your experience?
I love organ meats, but would not dream of eating them undercooked let alone raw. So many potential pathogens in those most perishable organs. Don’t forget what livers and kidneys exist to strain out!